Thoughts before the DS release

Posted by Slushie

When the DS was first announced, and shown off, what were your thoughts on it?
Did you think it was going to be a failure? Or did you think it would be ok, or did you think it would blow the other handhelds away and become champ.
Have your views changed on the DS?

When I first read about it I really had no idea. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and would do ok, I never thought it would get as popular as it is now though. I remember tons of people comparing it to the Virtual Boy.

Posted by Xero

At first, I thought this would be one of the best GBs ever. With the 2 screens feature and the possibility of playing GB advanced games on it, I thought it'd amuse me for hours.

That was my impression at first. Once I had it, the only game that really amused me was Super Mario DS. A game I remember playing a lot on the N64. I completed it and had fun with the mini-games. After that, I played a few GB advanced, waiting for new good DS games, but I'm still waiting for them. The DS doesn't really have any games worth my money so far, so it's sucking the dust in my closet. It's too bad. I thought that GB had so much potential, but...Can't use it for much.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I bought it because it was Nintendo, even though I thought there might be a chance that it could crash and burn. I also thought it was amazingly ugly. But I still bought it, and then I bought a DS Lite... and I'll probably buy whatever other redesign they come out with.

Posted by Shade

I thought it was going to be great, and I was right. I know the people are complaining about the so-called "lack of games" but to me, there's a good supply of worthwhile games. I have 10 DS games that I like to play, which I count as a decent haul.

Posted by Moogs

I thought it was going to be an awesome hand-held. But, I was mistaken, It was an AMAZING hand-held... i had so much fun playing it.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I was skeptical. I've never been a fan of touch-screen interfaces. What I really wanted was GameBoy 64. If Nintendo had just mounted a screen on top of an N64 controller and turned the memory card slot into a cartridge port, I'd have been 100% satisfied.

With what we got in the end, I'm 80% satisfied. The lack of an analog stick consists of most of my disappointment with the portable. The games make up for it somewhat, being on average of a different flavor than the N64's library.

Posted by Shade

Come on, a handheld shaped exactly like an N64 controller wouldn't have been practical at all.

Posted by mis0

I thought the DS was unconventional, but not necessarily bad. Once I tried it out, I was sold. I've had some fun with it but the ****ty WiFi in my house has prevented me from playing on WFC which is what I really wanted to do. The touch screen, which I anticipated being my least favorite component of the system is actually the thing I like most. Overall, I'm really glad I bought one.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Xero:
but I'm still waiting for them. The DS doesn't really have any games worth my money so far, so it's sucking the dust in my closet. It's too bad. I thought that GB had so much potential, but...Can't use it for much.

You honeslty must have an awdul taste in games. They are so many great ones from unique experiences like Elite Beat, Hotel Dusk, Tramua Centre, Mario VS Donkey Kong 2, Wario Ware and Rocket Slime to new installements of existing franchises like Castlevania, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario Bros and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. And this is just from MY DS games list.

Posted by Dexter

I didn't think much of it at all at first and didn't even get one until mid last year. Glad I did, though. There's already a terrific library of games and more great games to come. I've been playing Pokemon Pearl for the last couple weeks and I got Etrian Odyssey ready to follow. This is definitely the most I've ever been into a handheld system.

Posted by Arcadios

When I first say it I was pretty **** excited for it. Then when I got one as a gift my expectations were met.

Posted by Poolking99

I thought it was a terrible gimmick (virtual boy). But Nintendo made it work and I have faith in them once again with the Wii.