64 Soundtracks

Posted by Dexter

What games on the 64 had good or bad soundtracks? What was memorable for you and what disappointed you?

I was disappointed with the Mario Kart soundtrack. It just doesn't carry much excitement with it. It fills so weak and unnoticeable. I have the soundtrack and whenever it randomly starts playing on my itunes or iPod I can't help but to contemplate all the nifty little sounds they should have incorporated into it. It just seems like they could have done so much more. It makes gameplay boring for me, too. Another reason why Diddy owns it.

The Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack, however, was wonderful. It was fitting during gameplay and even stands out well on each own. The final season-changing level has an excellent track and of course each track is vastly different, carrying different moods for different level experiences. One of the keys to making a great game is to keep things interested by changing the mood as you progress.

Posted by darkwhispers

zelda oot had a reasonably impressive soundtrack the best part for me was the time when you get the master sword for the 1st time.

Posted by Dexter

That was, indeed, a fantastic soundtrack, but the Majora's Mask soundtrack, for me, was far more impressive and memorable. It was far more haunting and strange, really creating strong feelings for me during gameplay. When it comes to the music in Zelda games, Majora's Mask wins 1st prize.

Posted by Ant

Donkey Kong 64 and Conkers Bad Fur Day are the first two games that come to mind that had very dynamic and appropriate soundtracks. And, of course, OOT and SM64 were great too.

Posted by Zeta

I've always really like Bomberman 64: The Second Attack's music. And Kirby 64; O

Posted by Xero

Let me see...

I thought the soundtracks from SSB and mario kart 64 weren't at all great. They didn't stimulate me and that's usually one of the things I like about a game: music. Both games had cute music, but it grew very annoying quickly to a point where I was avoiding certain maps so I wouldn't hear the soundtracks I hated.

On the other hand, Perfect Dark 64, Zelda MM and Turok had great soundtracks. In perfect dark, there were so many tunes I could play in a custom game it took me 5 minutes to make up my mind once. For MM, it's more about the boss, mini-boss music, but I remember loving walking around clock town on day 3 to hear the accelerated music of day 1 and 2. And as for Turok, well that jungle music always sounded good to my ears. That's pretty much it.

Posted by D.J Cat

OK, heres some of my favorites:

Jet Force Gemini:
Epic, wonderfully orchestrated and great driving music. It does wonder for the atmosphere of the game, and is fantastic out of thegame too. I know people have got/showed extreme interest in the game just from hearing the music.

Zelda: Majora's mask: Like Dex said it really is different, and haunting definitely says it.
Ikana Canyon, Great Bay, The Day 3 music of Clock town and the Deku Palace are the first thins that come to mind, but there so much more brilliance to it than that.

Diddy Kong Racing: So fun and so addictive!
Listening to the music in most tracks can easily put you in a good mood which makes it even easier to play the game for multiple hours straight, even when it gets frustrating.

Snowboard Kids & Bomberman 64: Great Doof-Doof music!
I might have to get Subwoofers just for these! (i'm sure they'll have other entertaining ueses too. :cool:
Also, the music for Big Snowman....dunno why but i love it heaps.

Posted by Xero

Quoting D.J Cat:

Diddy Kong Racing: So fun and so addictive!
Listening to the music in most tracks can easily put you in a good mood which makes it even easier to play the game for multiple hours straight, even when it gets frustrating.

Snowboard Kids & Bomberman 64: Great Doof-Doof music!
I might have to get Subwoofers just for these! (i'm sure they'll have other entertaining ueses too. :cool:
Also, the music for Big Snowman....dunno why but i love it heaps.

Man you guys refresh my memory!

I forgot to mention Diddy Kong Racing. I remember loving the space world's music and the Wizpig race music.

And as for Bomberman 64, I totally liked the music. I even remember dancing on it with my little sister once. Funny times :p:

Posted by Saihig

Extreme-G has an awsome sound track. I've got em on my ipod :)

Posted by MikaFeldy

Kirby 64 is by far the best, its the only game where I actually had myself downloading midis of it and listening to them with my mp3s, and the only one where I found myself humming and tapping the music, on N64 that is.

Posted by Acris

Quoting MikaFeldy: Kirby 64 is by far the best, its the only game where I actually had myself downloading midis of it and listening to them with my mp3s, and the only one where I found myself humming and tapping the music, on N64 that is.

i think that capt falcon is the best

Posted by Acris

oh **** mario is one of the mario is one of the best games ever isa me a mario

Posted by Xero

Quoting Acris: oh **** mario is one of the mario is one of the best games ever isa me a mario

Good Christ. :mad:

Posted by G-Sides

is there a site or place to get the official mp3s for 64 games rather than their midis?

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting G-Sides: is there a site or place to get the official mp3s for 64 games rather than their midis?

http://gh.ffshrine.org/

Have a search on there.
I've found some good things on there, both original soundtracks, and remixed/guitar-erised versions of games, like F-Zero X.

Posted by Xero

At last! I got my music for Donkey Kong country 2! Thank you so much D.J. :D

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting D.J Cat: http://gh.ffshrine.org/

Have a search on there.
I've found some good things on there, both original soundtracks, and remixed/guitar-erised versions of games, like F-Zero X.

Actually. there's a place where you can download the USF's, much like the SPC's for the SNES. All you need is Winamp and a plugin for said player and you can listen to the USF's. The're much smaller then an MP3, I think the biggest file I've seen was like 671 bytes. In fact, my Jet Force Gemini folder is only like 3.7 MB and that's with every piece of music in the game, along with some SFX.

http://www.hcs64.com/usf/index.php

They don't have USF's for EVERY 64 game, but they have a lot of the good ones.

Cheers.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Roger Smith: Actually. there's a place where you can download the USF's, much like the SPC's for the SNES. All you need is Winamp and a plugin for said player and you can listen to the USF's. The're much smaller then an MP3, I think the biggest file I've seen was like 671 bytes. In fact, my Jet Force Gemini folder is only like 3.7 MB and that's with every piece of music in the game, along with some SFX.

http://www.hcs64.com/usf/index.php

They don't have USF's for EVERY 64 game, but they have a lot of the good ones.

Cheers.

Thats sounds really good, I'm going to try it out.
I've heard of it before, but this time I'll giv eit a shot, now I have a direct link.

The good thing about the mp3s though is that they can be put on a cd and listened to in a car.
Nothing is more awesome than driving around town in my friends piece of crap...er i mean car which has great speakers and a subwoofer listening to the Bomberman 64 or Snowboard Kids music.
Seriously, the bass. :eek:

I would imagine that those USF 64th note files can't be put on a CD, but I may be wrong.
Good for listening to on the computer though.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting D.J Cat: Thats sounds really good, I'm going to try it out.
I've heard of it before, but this time I'll giv eit a shot, now I have a direct link.

The good thing about the mp3s though is that they can be put on a cd and listened to in a car.
Nothing is more awesome than driving around town in my friends piece of crap...er i mean car which has great speakers and a subwoofer listening to the Bomberman 64 or Snowboard Kids music.
Seriously, the bass. :eek:

I would imagine that those USF 64th note files can't be put on a CD, but I may be wrong.
Good for listening to on the computer though.

They can't be burnt onto a CD, the player wouldn't recognize the format :(

So yeah, only good for listening to on PC and saving space.

Posted by hcs

Hi there, I just noticed your link to my USF site. While you can't play USF files directly in a CD player you can easily convert them to WAV files which can be burned to a CD. Simply select the "Nullsoft Disk Writer" output plugin in Winamp (which is included with any full install of Winamp). If you need more specific instructions there are plenty online but I am apparently not allowed to link to them, just google "Nullsoft Disk Writer".

Posted by Xero

I doubt I'll ever make personal CDs out of VG music. But thanx anyways.

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting hcs: Hi there, I just noticed your link to my USF site. While you can't play USF files directly in a CD player you can easily convert them to WAV files which can be burned to a CD. Simply select the "Nullsoft Disk Writer" output plugin in Winamp (which is included with any full install of Winamp). If you need more specific instructions there are plenty online but I am apparently not allowed to link to them, just google "Nullsoft Disk Writer".

That sounds ok, or the mp3s I get of that other site (http://gh.ffshrine.org/) are good to go on a CD and listen to in my car.
Jet Force Gemini makes great driving music. :cool:
Do you notice any sound quality difference between the mp3s and the USF's?