Entertainment Weekly: Interview with Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by Big Boss

[url="http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html"]The Man Who Made ''Mario'' Super[/url]

It's a relatively short interview, but an interesting one nonetheless. He talks about being disappointed with a couple of GCN games, how Twilight Princess is doing in Japan and, of course, a little on his approach to game design.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Oh, is this the one that said "I could make Halo"? Good stuff from something like Entertainment Weekly. Not as much fluff as i expected.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not as much fluff as i expected.

The author of the article, and I'm assuming the interviewer, Geoff Keighley has been a game journalist for quite a while now. He's the guy on that Gamehead TV show on Spike TV, and he used to be all over the place back when G4 had game shows. He even sat in front of me at the Game Developers Choice Awards (best thing to attend EVER) in GDC back in March.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]I could make Halo.

Unpossible. Japanese haet FPS.

Posted by nich

Bungie actually responded to that quote. Im not sure miyamoto meant it the way it comes across, but Bungie took it the way the rest of us did.

"Yeah, well. I just want to go on the record and say that Bungie is hard at work on a side-scrolling platform game featuring some plumbers -- I'm not going to say what their ethnicity is, it's none of anyone's business -- but we took that as a gauntlet, a sort of glove slap, and we're going to respond in 2D scrolling style. That's all I'm saying."

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7518/1/Bungie_Answers_Shigeru_Miyamoto

Posted by Dexter

I enjoyed it when he talked about Japanese issues.

Posted by Bebop

I dont think he meant I could make Halo in the sense of "I could make a bland generic FPS", I think he just meant "I could make an average generic game that would sell well".
Also, nice reply Bungie. I know it's supposed to be a "funny reply" but it just comes across as sarcastic and arrogant.

Posted by Speedfreak

Idiots. By "I could make Halo" he meant that he could make something that people obviously want, but what he prefers to do is make games people have no idea they want until they play it. I can't believe Bungie not only didn't get that but actually responded to it aswell.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, if you read the entire article you kinda get that drift... though I have a feeling Bungie just saw "I could make Halo" on a bunch of websites and didn't bother to read the whole thing.

Posted by Bebop

The half-assed approach is something Bungie is known for.

Posted by Big Boss

From a creator's perspective, I understand if Frank O'Connor felt offended when someone uttered "I can make Halo if I want, I just choose not to" when referring to a game he and over a hundred people he knows broke their butts off to put out. No matter how you slice it, if you read the whole response, that sentence alone can sting if they're referring to something you both created and think highly of.

Posted by Speedfreak

The question could be paraphrased as "could you make an American-centric game like Halo?". The question specifically asked if he could make a Halo-style game. I don't know, to me "I could make Halo" blatently means "I could make a Halo-style game" in that context, and really couldn't mean much else.

Perhaps the Halo guys are just stressed out, they must be under a ton of pressure from Microsoft right now. They could just be irritable.