Diddy Kong Racing - The Mash

Posted by D.J Cat

Some friends of mine showed me a new tactic which we will call "The Mash".
Well, before I go any further, apparently it not new at all, its common knowledge.
How do I not know about it??? :(

Anyway all you do is Mash A and your speed will raise if you mash it enough.
Sure enough it seems to work, I can't explain how else they would nearly catch me in a race using Pipsy, when I had Drumstick/Timber.
It will not work in a plane, cause you lose attitude, and I doubt it'll go well in the hovercraft.

So what do you think, can someone confirm if it works?
I've tried it and sometimes it seems to help but otherwise its useless, cause you also speed up from going into a slide anyway...
Maybe it will help on long straights but yeah.

Thoughts???

Posted by Xero

I wouldn't be able to confirm it before I go to my grandma's. She's the only one that still has a N64 in her house. My dad sold mine.

I never heard of it. I kept using the boosters to stay in 1st place. I'd simply slow down before hitting it and it'd make me go straight up with a littles green fire behind me. :)

But I'll try it.

Posted by D.J Cat

Its interesting.
You certainly don't want to be Mashing through the boosts.
Still let go of the Accelerator to get more speed from the Zippers, and I guess just find the right timing (as the smoke disapears) to Mash.

So they told me a friend of his got 43 second son Ancient Lake.
I'd like to claim BS on that one, although hes not the kinda guy to lie.

Posted by Xero

I just want to make sure what you mean by "mash" first. I have to press A many times and I'Ll be going faster?

Posted by Dexter

I don't think that works. You sure they weren't talking about releasing A, the acceleration, before you hit a boost? It gives you an even bigger boost when you do that. That's a big 'secret' that many players don't seem to catch onto for awhile and perhaps through the sending of messages it got confused as mashing? idk

Posted by D.J Cat

Well, i did some research of sorts....
You may or may not want to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwAduI9f2_8&mode=related&search=

It works for sure, but i'm not totally sure how to apply it.
Although, it really for me seems to...ruin the magic or something?
Why do lots of good games have some BS way of playing better that isn't natural but everyone has to do it cause its better....eh i don't know. ??

*I will only use it in multiplayer if people are catching up to me using said mashing technique.

Posted by Dexter

I watched that video several times. Pretty amazing. What I was really astonished by was how such a trivial detail, such as a slight difference in position, would give him such an remarkable lead over his ghost. If you learned all the proper positions you could come up with something fairly impressive.

I don't think it ruins the magic. I think it adds something to the game, like an expert's technique. I think, by the looks of it, he mashes while he drifts, giving him more speed. He couldn't possibly be mashing while he's simply driving.

I'm going to try it when I get home tonight. I'll try mastering it, although I haven't even played the game for awhile. I'll apply it to my playing methods, definitely. This doesn't seem too cheat-like to me. It seems like an additional scheme that takes some talent.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter:

I don't think it ruins the magic. I think it adds something to the game, like an expert's technique.

I agree with Dexypoo on this one. I'll try it as well when I get a chance. See if I can master the expert's technique :p:

Posted by Dexter

I'm going to try and beat that time. I bet I can get impressively close. I'm already close, I'm sure. It's strange, though, when you are trying to beat records. You have to play around 50 times just to get the proper playing mood set. I remember spending hours upon hours on a single Goldeneye stage attempting to get the best times.

Posted by Xero

I just noticed....you can only use the A mashing while turning so you don't lose speed no? Or is it just a coincidence that most of the track in ancestral lake is about turning. Dexter?

Posted by D.J Cat

Ahh, well I thought it would only work on straights, cause simply doing a slide give you a pretty good boost.
Unless it gives you even more of a speed boost while you are sliding.

Hmm, I wish I mad more people to race against in Diddy Kong Racing.

And, I think I'll have to be with you there, Dex.
Might as well use it for time trial.

Posted by Dexter

I see what it is. Played it last night and I did it naturally. I forgot I already knew about this. It was just something I did automatically, without much thinking going towards it. It's just part of how I actually already play.

Like I mentioned before about getting an even better boost if you release the acceleration before you hit a booster. It's just like that. Because you get a boost when you drift, all you have to do is release and push A again every time you drift so every time you get that extra boost it becomes a little better. It might seem like mashing, but it's really not. You have to time it with your drift to follow the boost flawlessly and actually takes a lot of talent that I wasn't sure I still possessed but was pleasantly surprised to discover that I did.

Posted by Xero

If that's what it is, Dexter, then I knew about it for a while. The elephant of the island even tells you that trick before one of his challenge.

Posted by Dexter

Funny, I don't think I learned the booster trick until after I defeated the entire game. Then when I learned it I was a bit upset because it would've been a lot easier if I knew it before.

Posted by Xero

Haha too bad. I discovered it randomly. I think it was while racing against wizpig. He was far too fast for me and the boosters didn't seem to make me go fast enough to catch him up. At some point I was gonna give up and I slowed down to press start, but I hitted the booster before and I saw that green smoke ending in many colors and went "whoa". I started over anyways and I won.

It was one of the few tricks I found out without using a guide.

Posted by Dexter

I learned it fairly the same way. I think I was playing multiplayer with my sister and I was showing off my skills by putting down my controller for a bit to let her catch up after she blondly fell into water and when I hit the boost I noticed the extra pizzazz it held. I got all excited and mastered the technique. I kept it to myself, though. Couldn't trust the secret with anyone, not even her. She would've told my friend Ryan and then I would've lost that extra edge.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: I got all excited and mastered the technique. I kept it to myself, though. Couldn't trust the secret with anyone, not even her. She would've told my friend Ryan and then I would've lost that extra edge.

Your sister didn't see anything? I thought she would have noticed seeing as your player's screen is right above her's (or the opposite). :p:

Well one day or another they would've found out. Or while playing against you, or by themselves. You would only have the pleasure of winning easily for a few races. ;)

As for "mastering" the technique, I didn't think there really was anything to master. Simply stop pressing A before hitting it. That's all. I barely missed by boosting with purple smoke afterwards. Not a hard one.

Posted by Dexter

Quoted post: Your sister didn't see anything? I thought she would have noticed seeing as your player's screen is right above her's (or the opposite).

Nah, she was never a talented screen-watcher. The only game she was able to get good at that on was Goldeneye and that's because she played it so much.

Quoted post: As for "mastering" the technique, I didn't think there really was anything to master. Simply stop pressing A before hitting it. That's all. I barely missed by boosting with purple smoke afterwards. Not a hard one.

Yeah but by the time you learn it your mind is already set to always hold the acceleration. You have to retrain your mind to release it before you hit all the boosters. Then there's the drift boost you have to get good with, which was even more difficult and too far more time to master. That's still difficult for me from time to time.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter:
Yeah but by the time you learn it your mind is already set to always hold the acceleration. You have to retrain your mind to release it before you hit all the boosters. Then there's the drift boost you have to get good with, which was even more difficult and too far more time to master. That's still difficult for me from time to time.

Well I guess our minds work differently because it didn't take me long to get use to the green smoke trick. Although I'm not quite sure what you mean by "drift boost".

What is it again?

Posted by Dexter

Quoted post: Like I mentioned before about getting an even better boost if you release the acceleration before you hit a booster. It's just like that. Because you get a boost when you drift, all you have to do is release and push A again every time you drift so every time you get that extra boost it becomes a little better. It might seem like mashing, but it's really not. You have to time it with your drift to follow the boost flawlessly and actually takes a lot of talent that I wasn't sure I still possessed but was pleasantly surprised to discover that I did.

Posted by Xero

I don't think I ever knew about that one though. That sounds like it'd take me longer to master, but I'll try it. Thanx for the tool :)

Posted by D.J Cat

Huh, I've known about that for YEARS.
Just let go of A before you hit a zipper OR even before using a blue balloon.
Took me awhile to perfect the timing to get maximum boostage for your time, but I never would have unlocked T.T without it.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by "drift boost".

What is it again?"

Turn on the speedo with Right C.
GO around a corner and notice the speed.
Do the same while holding R, and you'll see its noticeably faster.
Use this to your advantage.

Posted by Xero

Quoting D.J Cat: Huh, I've known about that for YEARS.
Just let go of A before you hit a zipper OR even before using a blue balloon.
Took me awhile to perfect the timing to get maximum boostage for your time, but I never would have unlocked T.T without it.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by "drift boost".

What is it again?"

Turn on the speedo with Right C.
GO around a corner and notice the speed.
Do the same while holding R, and you'll see its noticeably faster.
Use this to your advantage.

Thank you.

I never unlocked T.T. I knew about Drumstick, but I never thought I could use T.T unless it was a time trial. That's pretty cool. I never completely finished the game. Darn...

Posted by Dexter

I was really good with Drumstick and then I got T.T and stopped using him for a long time. When I tried to return to using him I realize how difficult he was to use. I'd choose Timber or Conker or sometimes Banjo. I usually don't have to worry about using the best statistical character anymore because I'm so superior to everyone I play against. I remember hoe excited I was for Timber 64. Such a shame it got cancelled so early on in production. I remember it was going to be another race adventure, but you could get out of your vehicle and do walk around activities. There used to be a few early images of it around the net. Can't seem to find any anymore.

Posted by Xero

How do you get T.T? I want to experience the difficulty.

So far I've always played with Pepsy or Tip-Top. Both of them turn better than any other character. I guess I should try Drumstick. It'd make the game much harder for me and therefore give me a new challenge.

Posted by Dexter

I think Drumstick is supposed to be the fastest, but it's not easy to get used to his difficult turning. I think you earn T.T by defeating all of his ghost or something like that.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Dexter: I think Drumstick is supposed to be the fastest, but it's not easy to get used to his difficult turning. I think you earn T.T by defeating all of his ghost or something like that.

I know Drumstick is nearly the hardest to turn with. If I complete the game with him, then I would be the *** of DKR :D

As for T.T, where do you find his ghosts?

Posted by Dexter

It's easy to defeat the game using Drumstick. Statistically he is considered to be the 2nd best character, only beaten by T.T. Once you master his turning ability, he becomes a powerful racer. Still a lousy character.

Posted by Xero

Well sometimes you have to make sharp turns and that's where the weakness is. I know you really have to know the tracks by heart to know when it's time to turn sometimes. For me it's not gonna be easy.

Posted by Dexter

I don't remember a time when I didn't have those basic tracks memorized. I probably still have the coin placements memorized. You just gotta be a good drifter to use Drumstick. Look man, Drumstick is like the Mona Lisa of the drift world. Rare rebuilt this bad-boy from ground up. We talkin' true forged pistons, bigger turbo, new rise, new crankshaft. Hey man, Rare's labour ain't cheap, you feel me? There's no 'wax on wax off' of drifting. You learn by doin' it. The first drifters invented drifting out here on Snowflake Mountain by feelin it. So feel it.

Posted by Xero

0_o

Posted by G-Sides

let me just take this time to say that diddy kong racing is the best racing game i've ever played and it's horribly underrated :mad:

on that note, i knew about this technique from the start. :cool: