Does the Wii make others sick?

Posted by Random

I'm saying it in literal terms. It literally made me and my cousin sick. He's owned his Nintendo Wii now for probably 2 maybe 2 1/2 months and he hasn't had any problems. But that was before we started playing Zelda and Call of Duty 3 for it. Tonight while we were playing Call of Duty 3, he started to vomit, and I got rather dizzy and lightheaded. So we decided to play Zelda. We had both played some but didn't get into it very far. We played maybe a half hour, were starting to get bored, but kept going. After another few minutes we both couldn't stand to look at it because it made us sick..

Now I didn't have this problem playing Call of Duty 3 on my 360. The reason why I believe its making me sick is due to the fact that when you turn your gun, the whole screen goes. Zelda on the other hand I think just has bad camera issues. But both games made us sick. Is this happening to anyone else? We've played maybe 4 or 5 other Wii games that didn't make us sick. But then again they were sports games that doesn't bounce the screen around..

Can anyone relate??

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Never got sick during a game.

Posted by Bebop

I had to wash my hands after touching the Jak and Daxter disc but I think thats as far as I've gotten with video games making me ill.

Posted by mis0

I've heard of this but I've never understood it. Do you guys normally suffer from motion sickness or something?

What's not to understand? Your senses are sending mixed messages. You know you're stationary, but your eyes are telling you you're in motion. SICKNESS GET. Though yeah, you'd assume they'd also suffer from motion sickness, because that's essentially what it is.

Posted by mis0

Well, for one thing, it's hard to understand motion sickness if you've never experienced it.

It makes sense when you're in a car/boat/plane, because then you literally are moving and stationary at the same time. But with videogames, you're just stationary and you're seeing movement, so how is your brain confused..? I thought it was the bones in the ears that caused motion sickness, because they're what determine your orientation in space and to some degree, what what direction you're traveling. It's when you're trying to look at something that's not moving when you are moving (like reading in a car, for example) that causes motion sickness.

Then it would be the exact opposite, right? Your inner ear is saying you're stationary and you're eyes are saying you're in motion. All it is, like I said, is your senses sending your brain mixed messages. It gets confused and causes sickness.

Posted by Random

I've never had any other games make me sick. My cousin couldn't stand Spyro some odd years ago, but that was it for him. I've always been able to withstand any games until now.

might be the arm movements and that extra step of "immersion" that could be doing it.

Posted by Unite

I was only able to play 2 hours at a time of zelda before i would get sick.

Posted by TendoAddict

Ive gotten sick playing video games once or twice. But my body is used to it. I think yours will too in due time. If not it could be more of a problem, like why some people get motion sickness and some don't.

Posted by Unite

I was only able to play 2 hours at a time of zelda before i would get sick.

Posted by Vbty3

You might wanna look on the Health Warnings in the Wii game manuals.

Yeah, and what does it say? "Stop playing and rest." No ****.

Posted by TendoAddict

In Zelda you see a ton of trippy colors , do you think that could be the reason? Did you get that far into the game? I remember the first time I saw it it was a bit wacky when I saw the sky and the world. Having the weird colors plus the previous sickness could of done the trick.

Posted by muffla

the olny time i really get sick form playing viedo games is when i play for a really long time. and even then i dont rhwor up i just get a rather bad headache

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, and what does it say? "Stop playing and rest." No ****.

I couldn't even stand Call of Duty 3 for more than 10 minutes.. Zelda maybe 15-20.. It wasn't like we were playing it for all that long.

Posted by Speedfreak

Strange that you got sick with Zelda, the camera doesn't move more than any other Zelda. Have you gotten sick from the series before?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[LEFT]You're sitting too close to the TV. You can't perceive that you're observing motion, rather you believe you're participating in it.

That's what happened to my friend back when we played Goldeneye, anyway.
[/LEFT]

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: Strange that you got sick with Zelda, the camera doesn't move more than any other Zelda. Have you gotten sick from the series before?

No, infact I recently started a new quest on Ocarina of Time. I want to play Twilight Princess bad, because its fun so far where we've gotten, but I literally just can't do it.

Posted by Dexter

I played through Call of Duty 3 entirely in one sitting which took a little over 9 hours and I never got sick. Maybe you guys are locked in a stuffy room or something. The only times I ever got sick during game playings in when I was younger and I'd get a new game and basically wake up way too early. Even then, though, I didn't really get sick. It just seemed like things were moving really fast while sounds were really slow. Never vomited because of a game.