can't find my other thread

Posted by Fate

True story, guys. We went to a kitty adoption place hoping to get a cat. I asked about declawing... She really did have open flesh wounds all over the place.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/end_Fate/Comics/weirdcatlady.png[/IMG]

Posted by Omni

I thought that was pretty well drawn and amusing.

[quote=thread title]can't find my other thread

Are you looking for this?

[URL="http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=3391"]http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=3391[/URL]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

man, I used to know someone like that. Except they'd flip right the **** out whenever you mentioned it.

Posted by Fate

Funny thing is when we went to a different place, another hippie lady gave us some lecture about something. I kind of deleted that from my memory, so what she said I wouldn't know.

Oh, and if you guys couldn't tell, I drew that on a napkin.

It's cool because people like that almost make you not want to adopt a cat. How utterly counter-intuitive.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

If you actually knew what the declawing process consisted of, you wouldn't be asking about it.

I do and I would and I have. Cats won't remember it, doesn't affect them long-term, but it sure as hell affects me and my furniture long-term.

Posted by Omni

What annoys me is when they declaw big cats like tigers at zoos. I don't know if they still do it very often, but I've seen a few instances where they experienced complications that caused the animals to become paralyzed in their front limbs. :(

Also, why declaw a ****ing tiger? It's not like it's gonna scratch a gigantic couch or something, and if it wants to attack a human, it will just pounce on them and go for the jugular.

Posted by Ant

Well, if you just keep their nails trimmed it shouldn't be a problem.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I do and I would and I have. Cats won't remember it, doesn't affect them long-term, but it sure as hell affects me and my furniture long-term.

So because the cat won't remember it after a certain period of time makes it humane? Please. Also, there is a possibility of the cat being affected long-term (leg paralysis, which may or may not be permanent).

It's basically like removing your fingertips up to the joint. I'd say that's pretty ****ing painful. Get a scratching post or nail caps and teach your cat not to scratch your furniture. If you're that worried about furniture, don't get a cat.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I'd like to let my cats outside without the risk of them getting ****ed the hell up by some random farm animal.

Pro-claws.

Posted by Fate

We're getting a fully domesticated cat. It will never go outside for any reason. That means no claws. I know the process. It's not painful since the kitty is asleep during the cut. The problems come if the cat goes outside or doesn't adjust to the cutting like most cats do. Think of it as circumcision. :cookie:

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Fate: We're getting a fully domesticated cat. It will never go outside for any reason. That means no claws. I know the process. It's not painful since the kitty is asleep during the cut. The problems come if the cat goes outside or doesn't adjust to the cutting like most cats do. Think of it as circumcision. :cookie:

First time? If not, then you'd know how much an indoor cat wants outside.

Quoted post: So because the cat won't remember it after a certain period of time makes it humane? Please. Also, there is a possibility of the cat being affected long-term (leg paralysis, which may or may not be permanent).

It's basically like removing your fingertips up to the joint. I'd say that's pretty ****ing painful. Get a scratching post or nail caps and teach your cat not to scratch your furniture. If you're that worried about furniture, don't get a cat.

Don't give a ****. All my cats have turned out fine. I'm giving them a pretty super home with lots of love and attention, so a day or two of pain and the everlasting lack of nails they can live with.

Except it's not like circumcision at all. :cookie:

Posted by Iris

It's more like getting them spayed or neutered, but only worse since they normally use their claws on a daily basis for the most basic things.

I've had a declawed cat before. It didn't affect her lifespan at all and it didn't cause any health problems. The furniture wasn't ruined. Wahoo. My current cats have claws though and the only furniture they've ruined was some old seat with a thin layer of fabric and a knit blanket. If anything's messing up the furniture it's the massive amounts of hair, which can be cleaned quickly and easily if you're not a lazy slut. My clawed cats are very playful, are better with jumping, running, and at least have some way of defending themselves.

I suggest you take time out to think exactly how much humans need their nails and toenails and how much they need to be used for basic tasks, and try to understand that cats need them just as much, if not more. Maybe spend a day with scotch tape over your fingertips.

Besides, if you're just worried about furniture, I suggest doing what Angelwing said. Get a scratching post and punish them if they try scratching at your furniture. A good thing to do is spray them with a little water whenever they try doing it. Eventually it'll become second-nature for the cats not to mess with your furniture.

Quoted post: I suggest you take time out to think exactly how much humans need their nails and toenails and how much they need to be used for basic tasks, and try to understand that cats need them just as much, if not more. Maybe spend a day with scotch tape over your fingertips.

Oh shut the **** up. Cats don't need their nails when they're purely indoor. They get around a carpeted house just fine. It's of no detriment to them whatsoever. Plus, I like letting them sit in my lap without getting shredded when something scares the **** out of them.

Posted by Iris

Uh, nails help balance, and I'm pretty sure cats like to run around and jump on things. But clearly it's more important to remove their nails rather than allowing an animal to use a natural defense mechanism. That's just silly.

Seriously, look at the difference between a cat with nails and one without, and how they react to people. The ones without nails are timid and usually hide. I'm pretty sure they generally dislike being held too. Cats with nails are generally more friendly because they're more able to quickly react to danger.

I don't care what you do with your own cats, Vamp. It doesn't affect me and there's nothing I can do about it. Still, the ****ed up statement that cats don't need their nails is something I'd like to correct.

Quoted post: Uh, nails help balance, and I'm pretty sure cats like to run around and jump on things. But clearly it's more important to remove their nails rather than allowing an animal to use a natural defense mechanism. That's just silly.

Oh yeah, I remember my cats constantly falling off banisters and railings... oh wait, they still had perfect balance. But wait, defense, OF COURSE! I mean, my ***, there's so many things they need to defend themselves against... inside my house. Hahaha, oh wow. I can already tell this is going to be one of your classics.

Quoted post: Seriously, look at the difference between a cat with nails and one without, and how they react to people. The ones without nails are timid and usually hide. I'm pretty sure they generally dislike being held too. Cats with nails are generally more friendly because they're more able to quickly react to danger.

Wrong. So... so wrong. All of my cats have been very affectionate and love nothing more than to cuddle with you or be held. My current cat is very outgoing and will love anyone who comes around. My other cats have been defensive if you're a *****, or just completely laid-back otherwise. None have ever been timid, none have ever hid. It's the house they're raised in, genetics, and how they're treated. It has nothing to do with the nails, especially if they've never even felt threatened before.

Quoted post:
I don't care what you do with your own cats, Vamp. It doesn't affect me and there's nothing I can do about it. Still, the ****ed up statement that cats don't need their nails is something I'd like to correct.

Indoor cats do not need their nails. End of.

Posted by maian

Eh. I have two cats. We've had them for five years, clawed. Our furniture is never touched. Get a carpeted scratching post. They're great cats, much better than declawed ones I've seen. Not only can they effectively live outside, (we let them in and out as we please), it's just uh, more natural. And playing clawgames with the cat is fun. :cookie: I'd rather have a bloodied arm playing games with my cats than have a wussified declawed cat.

Posted by Fate

This cat isn't going to be just a pet. I'm not going to have children. This cat will be like a baby to us, and we're giving it all the love in the world. We've been looking for breeds that are usually playful in nature, which means claws are irrelevant. We have leather couches. By all accounts, the couches are more expensive than the cat. Eventually, the cat will be more expensive than the couch, but by the time that happens we'll have even more expensive couches. We also have low-lying stuff about, like speakers, boxes, DVDs, cables, etc. Claws won't mix well with the stuff we have. You guys also forget that we're supposed to maintain a professional and/or attractive appearance, and claw marks are very ugly.

Circumcision is an unnecessary practice that just makes things easier to maintain. Pain involved? Yeah, but the baby won't remember. Declawing is an unnecessary practice that does just that: makes things easier to maintain. It's even better because they're actually asleep during the process.

Cutting off genitalia sounds so much worse, seeing as how you're destroying the rest of their sexual life.

If you guys are up in arms about nails getting off, you guys shouldn't spay or nueter pets, either.
:)

Quoted post:
Circumcision is an unnecessary practice that just makes things easier to maintain. Pain involved? Yeah, but the baby won't remember. Declawing is an unnecessary practice that does just that: makes things easier to maintain. It's even better because they're actually asleep during the process.

And babies don't even have the privilege of being put to sleep. Or I didn't anyways.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;576953]Oh yeah, I remember my cats constantly falling off banisters and railings... oh wait, they still had perfect balance. But wait, defense, OF COURSE! I mean, my ***, there's so many things they need to defend themselves against... inside my house. Hahaha, oh wow. I can already tell this is going to be one of your classics.
Nails do affect balance. I don't give a **** about your personal experiences, because nails are often used for climbing and jumping. Sure, they can do it without it, but it'd be like trying to use completely bare fingers or trying to drive with tires that have absolutely no traction. As for defense, sure chances are some one isn't going to break into your house and steal your cats, but you're honestly not so stupid as to think that's the only scenario in which they need to use their nails. They use them for simply games and interaction.

And yeah, this is probably going to be another classic. You speaking out of your *** for half a page, then trying to patronize me for engaging some one who obviously has no idea what they're talking about. Very mature.
[quote]Wrong. So... so wrong. All of my cats have been very affectionate and love nothing more than to cuddle with you or be held. My current cat is very outgoing and will love anyone who comes around. My other cats have been defensive if you're a *****, or just completely laid-back otherwise. None have ever been timid, none have ever hid. It's the house they're raised in, genetics, and how they're treated. It has nothing to do with the nails, especially if they've never even felt threatened before.
Cats are instinctually threatened. You don't have to pull a knife on them for them to automatically fear some one. Let's say you have no weapons on you and your physical condition isn't nearly good enough to come close to winning a fight with anyone. Some big burly man is following you down a dark alley? Would you not try to avoid him? Same thing with cats. If they feel threatened and can't defend themselves, they just hide.
[quote]Indoor cats do not need their nails. End of.
Humans don't need a palm, heel, body hair, outer layer of skin, teeth, 2 kidneys, or 2 eyes either, but it's a pretty ****ing restricted life without them. Don't be an idiot.

Quoted post: [COLOR=#87ceeb]Declawing is an unnecessary practice that does just that: makes things easier to maintain. It's even better because they're actually asleep during the process.[/COLOR]

Easier to maintain for whom, dear? :)

Quoted post: but it'd be like trying to use completely bare fingers or trying to drive with tires that have absolutely no traction.

Human nails and animals claws have pretty different uses. Your analogy is pretty terrible.

Quoted post: As for defense, sure chances are some one isn't going to break into your house and steal your cats, but you're honestly not so stupid as to think that's the only scenario in which they need to use their nails. They use them for simply games and interaction.

Games, interaction, what? No. They don't need them.

Quoted post:
And yeah, this is probably going to be another classic. You speaking out of your *** for half a page, then trying to patronize me for engaging some one who obviously has no idea what they're talking about. Very mature.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Indoor cats do not need their nails.

Quoted post: Cats are instinctually threatened. You don't have to pull a knife on them for them to automatically fear some one. Let's say you have no weapons on you and your physical condition isn't nearly good enough to come close to winning a fight with anyone. Some big burly man is following you down a dark alley? Would you not try to avoid him? Same thing with cats. If they feel threatened and can't defend themselves, they just hide.

Except this is an indoor cat with nothing to feel threatened by. There's no dark alley, there's no "burly man." My cats have never felt the need to hide because they've never been threatened. You suck at analogies.

Quoted post: Humans don't need a palm, heel, body hair, outer layer of skin, teeth, 2 kidneys, or 2 eyes either, but it's a pretty ****ing restricted life without them. Don't be an idiot.

And thus, another Iris post goes down in argument history. ****ing hilarious. Seriously, I laughed hard enough to choke on my noodles.

Once again, I'll reiterate. An indoor cat does not need their nails. But seriously, you're so bad at this I'm going to help you out. A cats claws are more than just nails or for balance (though even without their balance is impeccable so the point is fairly moot.) They're practically attached to the bone, so to remove the claw, you amputate the bone among other things. It's like getting rid of the last joints of your fingers. Not only that, their whole body is basically built around their claws. How the muscles move, how the bones lay, all of that are based on the claws. To remove them the animal relies on the paw, rather than the claws. This can cause back pain on top of whatever pain they might feel from getting joints removed. The former will probably come later in life and stay with the cat, the latter is like getting your toe cut off. Painful, but temporary. It's an inhuman procedure that's actually illegal in countries like Japan and whatever else.

And there's your argument. Except the after effects like behavior, complications and long-lasting pain aren't a certainty. The proof are in my cats and my own experiences. How a cat reacts to all of this depends on the owners and the household just as much as it does on the surgery and the act itself. My point is, I know all of this, I'm not an idiot. I'm obviously going to look into the subject before I do it to my own pet, but I've had no complications and all of my cats have been fantastic. So I don't give a **** as long as their fine and healthy. It's really of not detriment to them whatsoever as long as you raise them well. It's certainly no worse than withering away in an animal shelter stuck in a cage until finally put down. See, it's a win-win for everyone.

Posted by maian

Eh. I'd rather have my cats clawed anyway. You don't have to go through the procedure, so it's a little more convienent. As for cats clawing up furniture, speakers, etc, that's a big stereotype. ;| The only thing my cats claw are their scratching post, and sometimes the carpet. However, they do it so little on the carpet that it's not noticeable. If you have a leather couch, don't expect a cat to come up and start clawing it, because they won't.

Quoted post: If you have a leather couch, don't expect a cat to come up and start clawing it, because they won't.

Accidentally scare a cat that's sitting on leather. It's not pretty.

Posted by Fate

Tut tut.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/end_Fate/Comics/saintsrow14.png[/IMG]