Another nail in PS3 coffin

Posted by avalanch

1) It was reported that Wal-Mart is now backing the HD format. Does anything think this is another nail in the coffin?

2) Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) chief executive officer and chairman
Ken Kutaragi will resign from both positions and henceforth only serve
as honorary chairman of the company he built a decade ago, effective
June 19th. Furthermore, the Father of the PlayStation family will
continue to offer his technological expertise to Sony Group chief
executive officer Sir Howard Stringer as senior technology adviser. In
a statement, Kutaragi said he wanted to work on even wider network
systems in the future.Meanwhile,
Kazuo "Kaz" Hirai will take over Kutaragi's responsibilities as chief
operating officer, while retaining the position of SCE president.

The 2nd one straight from rpgfan.com

Posted by Poco

Kutaragi stepping down is old news. I just wanna see where Kazuo "RIDGE RACER" Hirai leads them.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

How is Ken stepping down a nail in their coffin? As for the first, Blu-Ray is already "winning" by quite a bit.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: How is Ken stepping down a nail in their coffin? As for the first, Blu-Ray is already "winning" by quite a bit.

Wal-Mart backing HD-DVD (I think it's a rumor, not sure) may have something to do with what he said about Blu-Ray.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Indeed. I think the war between blu-ray and HD-DVD has yet to reach any kind of pivotal moment. blu-ray might have won the first battle or two, but with a major chain like Wal-Mart endorsing HD-DVD, that's sure to give that format a considerable boost. I don't know when the market is going to make a major shift to either of the new formats, though. Regular ol' DVDs still have some good life in 'em.

Posted by Axis

For all of 2006 HD DVD was winning, then starting in 2007 Blu Ray has been kicking butt. Everyone seems to believe that the Wal-Mart news is quite false.

Posted by Speedfreak

Beta was winning at first too.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

Quoting Speedfreak: Beta was winning at first too.

Good point. I think that it'll kinda be like, blu ray starts off winning. but in the end HD is going to conquer all. well....it'll conquer blu-ray i think.

Posted by Axis

Blu-Ray wasn't winning at the beginning, either.

Say you're going to Best Buy. If you see HD DVD and Blu-Ray, and find that a majority of the films are on Blu Ray(with the exception of Universal), which one are you going to invest in?

Posted by mis0

Whatever costs less, because HD-DVD and Blue Ray are both stupid in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I'd just buy a regular DVD because from what I've seen, Blue Ray/HD-DVD are more about charging more per movie and a lot more for the necessary hardware than anything else.

BTW: yeah, I'm aware the disks have like 50gig storage or whatever. I don't see why I'd pay $10-$20 more per movie for the small visual quality gains that the formats offer. There seem to be better ways to spend that money (like, more movies, if you must!)

Posted by Proto Man

You are better off getting an upconvert DVD player IMO.

Anyways I think the REAL nail in PS3's coffin is when they cut off the cheap model. If they don't lower price soon, I don't see them going anywhere fast.

Quoted post: for the small visual quality gains that the formats offer.

It's actually pretty large. Quite noticeable.

Quoted post: Anyways I think the REAL nail in PS3's coffin is when they cut off the cheap model. If they don't lower price soon, I don't see them going anywhere fast.

You mean that SKU that was barely on the market, with what, a 80-20 ratio in favour of the 60 GB? It really wasn't needed since hardly anyone wanted it apparently.

Plus, you can bet the 60 gig will take its place and Sony will offer another version with a larger HDD.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's actually pretty large. Quite noticeable.

I'm sure it is if you have a huge LCD TV. I have a decent one (24") and regular HD out is more than adequate. I'd rather just have more movies than a "clearer picture". I can see the point for gaming systems because 5gigs isn't enough anymore, but it'll have to be just as cheap as regular DVD before I'll adopt. And I imagine that isn't too far of in the future either - DVD players were like $700 when they first came out. Now you can get one for $30 at Wal*Mart. In a year or two I'm sure prices will be more reasonable.

Posted by Axis

http://xylon.haloapplications.com/bluray/stargate/04/

Just a grain or two upgrade...

I think they're exaggerating the fuzziness of the regular DVD there, Axis. My movies don't look that bad, even on my projection screen TV.

Posted by Axis

1. You're sitting at a computer screen from about 2 feet away. Step back about 10-15 feet and look at it. It looks pretty good. How far away do you sit from your projection screen? Go up and from about 2 feet away and tell me what it looks like. My regular DVD movies look like **** compared to Blu Ray/HD DVD.

2. This was done with direct screen captures, they aren't fuzzying up the pictures for no reason.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

blu-ray will have spidey 3. HD Dvd will not. i say this fact pretty much will overpower watever advantage walmart will give hd dvds.

Posted by Axis

If they awarded a retarted post of the decade, you would have just won it.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Axis: 1. You're sitting at a computer screen from about 2 feet away. Step back about 10-15 feet and look at it. It looks pretty good. How far away do you sit from your projection screen? Go up and from about 2 feet away and tell me what it looks like. My regular DVD movies look like **** compared to Blu Ray/HD DVD.

Um... you're not supposed to sit 2 feet away from your television. Maybe that's why it looks like ****..?

Posted by Axis

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't sit 2 feet from my television. I'm saying that DVD's in contrast to Blu Ray/HD DVD look like crap. He thought the image I posted was blurried on purpose, which is false.

Quoted post: Um... you're not supposed to sit 2 feet away from your television. Maybe that's why it looks like ****..?

Compare two feet to two feet, rather than two feet to the appropriate distance.

Posted by mis0

How about I don't sit two feet away from my TV, so the difference is neglegable?

Posted by Axis

Sit 10 feet away from the computer screen and look at DVD image. Then sit back 10 feet away and look at the HD version. Which would you rather watch?

Posted by Shade

lol we're still talking about the PS3 eh

Posted by mis0

Quoting Axis: Sit 10 feet away from the computer screen and look at DVD image. Then sit back 10 feet away and look at the HD version. Which would you rather watch?

I don't care as long as it's worth watching.

Posted by Roxas23857

I like my PS3 it rocks. I just hope they get out of debt and move on to do better things with it.

Posted by Shade

My deal with the PS3 is the lack of games I want.

Posted by Anti-Muffla

Quoting Axis: If they awarded a retarted post of the decade, you would have just won it.

Yay!!

I'm getting ****ed off at the lack of games for the ps3 also.

Quoted post: How about I don't sit two feet away from my TV, so the difference is neglegable?

k, go ahead and notice a pretty big difference. What?

Quoted post: I don't care as long as it's worth watching.

Spoilers: people care about a high-quality image. So whether you care or not is pretty moot.

I still think the fuzziness of that image is doctored or just captured poorly. I can see the glyphs on Ra's mask a little better than that on my regular old DVD.

In any event, upgrading to HD-DVD won't be worth it to me unless they start releasing entire seasons of TV shows and get a lot more anime on the format. The TV seasons better be cheaper than their regular DVD counterparts, too.

Posted by mis0

I looked at that thing. I don't think it's doctored, but it's not a fair comparison. That standard DVD is most likely on the analogue output. I know for a fact that digital output on standard DVD's doesn't look nearly that bad. Especially on an LCD TV; it actually looks much closer to the HD than anything.

I'm sure HD is great, but, until you've seen what a regular DVD looks like on digital (S-Video) output, you're kidding yourself to say HD is so much better. It isn't.

I've seen the difference. But until you've seen it on the best set-up you can buy, you're kidding yourself to say it isn't much better.

Posted by mis0

Somehow I don't think the difference warrants me re-buying my DVD collection and getting a new DVD player. I've seen the difference, and I'm unimpressed with it given how much more it costs.

What does that have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that the difference is pretty ****ing noticeable and for anyone to say "it's not much better" is flat-out wrong. Whether the difference is enough to warrant the money spent is a completely different subject that I really don't care about.

Posted by mis0

Well, the point of HD DVD is to get a crystal-clear picture, right? It's hard to enjoy the crystal clear picture of HD DVD if you don't have the equipment, isn't it? What I'm saying is, for the price of the equipment and movies, you really don't get anything that's good enough to warrant the price. If you don't wanna discuss that, whatever. I'm simply saying it's overpriced.

HD discs also have more storage space than a normal DVD, meaning an entire season of a TV show could be put on one or two discs instead of 6 or 7.

Quoted post: Well, the point of HD DVD is to get a crystal-clear picture, right? It's hard to enjoy the crystal clear picture of HD DVD if you don't have the equipment, isn't it? What I'm saying is, for the price of the equipment and movies, you really don't get anything that's good enough to warrant the price. If you don't wanna discuss that, whatever. I'm simply saying it's overpriced.

Okay... I'm not exactly disagreeing...

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Prince Shondronai: HD discs also have more storage space than a normal DVD, meaning an entire season of a TV show could be put on one or two discs instead of 6 or 7.

Well, if they wanted to release it in standard-def, it would only take one... if they released them in high-def like they should, it would still take up 6-7 discs.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Axis;575635]Blu-Ray wasn't winning at the beginning, either.

It's the beginning right now. Blu-Ray only came out 5 months ago, or 2 months ago for every territory.

[quote=Axis;575635]I'm saying that DVD's in contrast to Blu Ray/HD DVD look like crap.

When played on an HDTV, yes. Compare a DVD on a progressive scan CRT next to a BRD/HDDVD on an HDTV. The difference really isn't as mind-blowing as they'd have you believe. The visual difference between 480p and 720p is exactly 1.5 x 480p, not six times. SD/ED video looks much worse on an HDTV than it will on a TV that was designed for it. HDTVs don't have the same native resolution, nor do they have exactly double the pixels. You end up getting a picture of a TV trying to display one pixel across one and a half, which is impossible, so it ends up as this blurred mess.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: It's the beginning right now. Blu-Ray only came out 5 months ago, or 2 months ago for every territory.

Try 11 months for the United States.

[quote]When played on an HDTV, yes. Compare a DVD on a progressive scan CRT next to a BRD/HDDVD on an HDTV. The difference really isn't as mind-blowing as they'd have you believe.
What are you trying to say? Cathode Ray Tubes are used in HDTV's. Primarily in DLP's, Plasmas, etc. CRT TV's are HDTV's, so I don't know what exactly you're trying to say. Are you referring to a rear project CRT that's HDTV compatible? Projection screens?

[quote]The visual difference between 480p and 720p is exactly 1.5 x 480p, not six times. SD/ED video looks much worse on an HDTV than it will on a TV that was designed for it. HDTVs don't have the same native resolution, nor do they have exactly double the pixels. You end up getting a picture of a TV trying to display one pixel across one and a half, which is impossible, so it ends up as this blurred mess.

Have you ever watched standard tv on a 46 inch TV? It looks like complete ****. A 46'' HDTV looks so much better than a standard definition TV that's 46''. But yeah, ask anyone who owns an HDTV and ask them if they notice a huge difference, I bet 95% will say yes.

Posted by mis0

I own an 24" LCD HDTV, and I'd say the difference is small unless the programming is broadcast in HD. Then it is noticably crisper, especially text. But part of that probably has to do with the television itself - non-HD channels look clearer on an LCD panel than they do on a CRT, imo.

HD programming isn't all that great admittedly. There's just not enough of it yet. Though movies broadcast in HD, sports, and games all looks markedly better.

Posted by Axis

Blu Ray/HD DVD movies are better than the ones broadcasted on TV. No film noise, grain, images are more crisp, etc.

Indeed, though they still look pretty awwight on TV.

Posted by Axis

Yeah, Discovery HD has some pretty amazing stuff.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Axis;577690]
Try 11 months for the United States.

That's still the beginning, sir. It hasn't even complete its first year.
[quote=Axis;577690] What are you trying to say? Cathode Ray Tubes are used in HDTV's. Primarily in DLP's, Plasmas, etc. CRT TV's are HDTV's, so I don't know what exactly you're trying to say. Are you referring to a rear project CRT that's HDTV compatible? Projection screens?

You can't get HD CRTs here (other than regular old PC monitors) and I forgot they are available over there. By CRT I meant SD CRT.
[quote=Axis;577690] Have you ever watched standard tv on a 46 inch TV? It looks like complete ****. A 46'' HDTV looks so much better than a standard definition TV that's 46''. But yeah, ask anyone who owns an HDTV and ask them if they notice a huge difference, I bet 95% will say yes.

1) Most people don't have 46" HDTVs.
2) You didn't specify what kind of screen. An SD picture displayed on a 46" CRT will look much MUCH better than an SD picture displayed on a 46" LCD or plasma.
3) I didn't say it didn't look better. I said it didn't look six times better. HD is really quite overhyped.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Speedfreak: That's still the beginning, sir. It hasn't even complete its first year.
[B]Betamax was only backed by Sony, if I recall. Blu Ray this time around has the backing of many companies. Sony isn't the only who manages Blu Ray, 15 other companies along with Sony direct Blu Ray (Ex: Apple, Samsung, Dell, Hewlett Packard, etc). I think that's a big advantage for them this time around.

[quote]1) Most people don't have 46" HDTVs.
2) You didn't specify what kind of screen. An SD picture displayed on a 46" CRT will look much MUCH better than an SD picture displayed on a 46" LCD or plasma.
3) I didn't say it didn't look better. I said it didn't look six times better. HD is really quite overhyped.

1) I never did state that most people do have HDTV's. Refer to point 3.
2) Sorry, I thought I did.
3) I never did state that it looked 6 times better. But, IMO, I don't think it's overhyped. Most people think it's an amazing thing. Currently, close to 20% of Americans own one, with the number growing every month. If it was overyhyped, I don't think the market for HDTV's would have a steady growth like we have seen.[/b]

Posted by mis0

I have one, and I don't think it's really "amazing". I'd say that it certainly is easier to read text displayed on one and things tend to be a bit crisper overall. But if I was to answer on a questionaire if I prefer HD over regular, I'd say no preference, because the difference isn't that significant.

Posted by Axis

Hence, why I stated "most", not "all".

Just curious, what kind of brand of TV do you have? A 24'' HDTV doesn't sound great to begin with.

Yeah... buying an HDTV under 32" sounds like a big waste of money. My boss has a massive 60" HDTV and that thing is truly amazing.

Posted by veritas

They cost a ridiculous amount of money. At least 4-5 thousand

Posted by Fate

Not their fault if your *****-*** is broke. :)

Quoted post: They cost a ridiculous amount of money. At least 4-5 thousand

Maybe five years ago... now you can buy one under 1,000. You can even get a 42" for under 1,500 right now which isn't that much.

Posted by veritas

I thought that the flat screen ones were pretty expensive.. nevermind then

Posted by Axis

Yeah, I got my 46'' for 1700. Prices aren't that bad anymore.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;577946]Yeah... buying an HDTV under 32" sounds like a big waste of money. My boss has a massive 60" HDTV and that thing is truly amazing.

You'll find most people have 17" "HD" screens attatched to their PCs. And you'll also find that there's a pretty damn good reason not to use a 17" SD screen instead.

Okay?

Posted by Axis

How many people use a 17 inch HD screen for their TV to watch movies and TV on?

Posted by Fate

I still don't see the point of watching a 17" HD screen. HD content should be seen on bigger televisions, you know, for detail and ****. That's kind of the point of HD.