Fire Red/Leaf Green Speed Run

Posted by Strike

I've been unable to get my hands on the new Pokemon Diamond/Pearl games yet, first of all money issues and second of all... don't have a DS yet, so that's more money issues. But I was bored last night and decided to restart my Leaf Green game. However, I LOVE the Eevey evolutions and I wasn't eager to lose the set I had so lovingly raised already.

Since you can't breed pokemon until you've beaten the Elite Four, I decided the best route to take would be to make a speed run of the game using as little pokemon as possible. (Also, I didn't want to use any pokemon in my team that might hinder my Eevey Evolution team, once I had the opportunity to get that going.)

I'll outline what I did here; (scroll to the bottom for my simplified, watered down version)

- Chose Bulbasaur
- Ignore all wild pokemon
- Avoid every possible trainer battle
- Raised Bulbasaur to learn 'Vine Whip' and took on Brock
- Bought Repels and a few Potions (no pokeballs, need to save money for the 'Ice Beam' TM in Rocket Corner later on)
- Used Repel all through Mt. Moon and avoided all possible trainer battles.
- Every pokemon who is strong against Vine Whip I tackled and Leech Seeded to death. Every pokemon who is deadly against Bulbasaur (such as your rival's Charmander) got immediately put to sleep with Sleep Powder, Seeded, and tackled to death.
- Defeated Misty in no time flat (fight all gym trainers, valuable xp) Around this time I had a lvl 25ish Ivysaur with Razor Leaf.
- Utilizing strategies outlined above, I put shame to my rival near the nugget bridge.
- Once again, avoid as many trainers as possible on the way to Bill's House.
- Used Repel in Diglett Cave and caught a lvl 30 Dugtrio. This is our "Cut" HM slave and nothing else, in case we run into a little trouble... but try to get Ivysaur as much XP as possible.
- Go straight to your Rival Battle on the Ferry, I happened to stop and fight a couple Gentlemen along the way, but this was more for money than XP - you can go without the XP here, you're only raising Ivysaur at the moment. Trainer battles take a lot of precious time.
- Save before rival and beat him using same strategies as before. Kadabra is incredibly weak to physical attacks.
- Destroyed Lt. Surge with 31 Ivysaur. Be sure to grab the bike voucher and bike on the way to Rock Tunnel.
- Navigated Rock Tunnel without Flash, easily done with a map or guide. (see [url]www.gamefaqs.com[/url] or any trusted gaming/pokemon site)
- Heal in Lavender town (restock potions and repels but keep a lot of money)
- Make way to Celedon (avoid as many trainers as possible)
- Grab Eevey and invest in a Water Stone, evolve to Vaporeon and immediately teach the TM you got from Misty. (Since later on I intended to Breed Eeveys, I saved before picking up eevey and waited to get a Female Eevey... I was lucky though and got one on first shot)
- My Ivysaur was around lvl 37 at this point, so I switched Vaporeon to the front and began training her to catch her up. Head right into the Rocket Hideout, Vaporeon can easily handle anything the rockets send at her with Water Pulse or Quick Attack. Learn Bite when the chance comes, great move for taking down Ghosts and Psychic types.
- Take advantage of every Rocket trainer in the building to train Vaporeon up, you may need one visit to the pokecenter to restore PP.
- Giovanni should be a cinch with Water Pulse and your high-HP Vaporeon.
- Grab Fly and catch a Doduo or Spearow in the grass near the path west of Celedon, this will be another HM slave.
- Proceed to Pokemon Tower, your rival battle will be a cinch now that Vaporeon's on the team - cut through him and use repels to navigate through. Avoid all trainers possible, and Bite all ghosts, Water Pulse all Cubones, etc...
- After getting the pokeflute, fly to Celedon... we're going to fight Erika later. Awaken and run from the snorlax to the west, and take the bike path.
- Carefully navigate above the bikers, and get to the hill... take the middle path when the fork in the road arrives, and let go! WHEEEE!!
- Heal and head to the Safari Zone, head straight to the Gold Teeth and Surf HM. Now destroy Koga's Gym with Vaporeon's newfound "Surf". (Learn Aurora Beam when it shows up)
- Grab the Strength HM and nugget from the house east of the pokecenter, and fly to Pallet Town. We're skipping ahead a bit here, but it's time to head to Cinnibar Island.
- Stock up on 4-5 Max Repels, and head for the Pokemon Mansion. (once again, a guide or online map is useful here) Once you've obtained the Secret Key and Solarbeam TM (Not useful for our speed run, I sold it).
- Destroy Blaine's Gym with Vaporeon. You can answer the questions to skip all the trainers, or fight them all for some good xp and cash. (my choice was second, I'm a money whore)
- Fly to Celedon. Grab the Tea from the lady in the mansion, and now it's time to take out Erika. Put Ivysaur at the front of the party and tackle everything into oblivion. You should be so high lvled that this shouldn't be a problem. If you have enough money (80,000) invest in 4000 coins and buy TM 13 from Rocket Corner and teach Ice Beam to Vaporeon. This can be useful in Erika's Gym now and will be needed to beat the Elite 4 later on. (You should have at least Surf, Bite, and Ice Beam in your Moveset to give you a good variety)
- You might want to stock up on a few hyper potions before entering Silph Co, our next destination. Take the elevator to the 5th floor, grab the Card Key along the Southern Wall (defeat any rocket cronies that you can't avoid) and immediately take the elevator to the ninth floor. Head down the middle and through the doors to your left, heal at the nice lady with the bed. Head north, through the doors to the left, defeat the rocket cronie and take the teleporter, walk across to the other teleporter, and you'll now find another battle with your rival.
- Since your rival was calculated to destroy Bulbasaur and his evolutions, you'll find him a cinch with Vaporeon. Kadabra and Execcute go down especially fast to Bite.
- Proceed to the teleporter and take down the Rockets and their boss, Giovanni.
- Get the master ball and go to Sabrina's Gym. Go to the teleporter, then the one diagonal from it. Take the one diagonal again (walk close to the wall to avoid unnecessary trainer battles) and then the one directly below you. You'll now be in front of Sabrina.
- Bite Mr. Mime, Kadabra, and Alakazam... Surf will do for Venomoth.
- Now time for a little field trip before taking on Giovanni, head to the power plant, use Repels to get through quickly, and nab Zapdos quick with a Masterball. Yes, we will be using Zapdos. Teach him the TM you got from Lt. Surge, Shock Wave. (erase Detect)
- If you can afford it, buy a Thunderbolt TM from Rocket Corner and teach that to Zapdos as well.
- Fly to Viridian City, this is our last Gym Battle. Put Venusaur up front so he can gain more XP (Vaporeon stole a lot of it hehe) destroy this gym with water and plant moves.

And that's where I've stopped, I've obtained all 8 badges in approximately 5 hours of gameplay, and I'm sure it could have been less especially now that I know exactly where to go hehe. I'm about to proceed to take on the Elite Four, and this is how I intend to do it;

Lorelei
52 Dewgong
52 Slowbro
51 Cloyster
54 Jynx
54 Lapras

Zapdos's Shock wave to take care of Dewgong, Lapras, Cloyster, and Slowbro. Switch to Vaporeon, making Jynx easy prey to Bite.

Bruno
51 Onix
53 Hitmonchan
53 Hitmonlee
54 Onix
56 Machamp

Venusaur can easily make mince meat of both Onixes, and have Zapdos Drill Peck the remaining three fighting pokemon into oblivion.

Agatha
54 Gengar
54 Golbat
53 Haunter
56 Arbok
58 Gengar

KO the Gengars utilizing powerful special attacks (like Surf) Golbat is weak to Ice Beam or Zapdos's Electricity attacks. Allow Dugtrio (the HM slave) to take the fall while you full restore on Vaporeon, and take down Arbok.

Lance
56 Gyrados
54 Dragonair
54 Dragonair
58 Aeridactyl
60 Dragonite

Keep Zapdos out first, Gyrados is a piece of cake. Switch out Vaporeon for Aerodactyl and use a Surf or two. Defeat the Dragonairs and Dragonite quickly with Ice Beam and use a Full Restore if necessary.

Rival
59 Pidgeot
54 Rhydon
54 Alakazam
59 Execcutor
63 Charizard

Similar to before, Zapdos can take care of Pidgeot and Execcutor easily, Venusaur OHKOs Rhydon with pretty much anything, stab Alakazam with some Bites and Surf Charizard all the way back to Pallet Town.

There you go, a completed speed run that should be performable in less than 6 hours of gameplay. Now I can go breed my eeveys again! W00t!!!

Notes; Stress saving money so you can buy the necessary TMs from Rocket Corner later on. You could just as easily do this speed run by choosing Squirtle at the beginning instead, but like I said, I wanted to do a Speed run that would not impede my Eevey trio later on, so I chose Bulbasaur. Not only that, but Bulbasaur happens to be my favorite of the starters. In reality, if I had chosen Squirtle, utilizing things like Bite and Strength and Earthquake (dig being the early predecessor) I could have done this with just Blastoise and Zapdos... however... I just love my EONs too much hehe.

So there you have it! Simplified and watered down, the idea is to;
1. Save Money; Don't buy any pokeballs, the original 5 pokeballs and a master ball is all you'll need.
2. Avoid wild pokemon and as many trainers as possible, saving tons of valuable time.
3. Utilize strategy in your moveset to take care of many different types of enemies.

Aaaand... that's about it! I'm sure you could find many ways to do it, following these three rules. Now go get 'em, Tiger!

Posted by streak101

son of a gun that works!(well makes sense anyways) I'll try it after i trade my pokemon from Leaf Green to Diamond