Ildjarn/Nidhogg - Hardangervidda

Posted by Raptor

I discovered my fondness for ambient music this evening. I never previously cared much for ambient, but that's because I hadn't been looking in the right places. Today I listened to an album named [I]Hardangervidda, done as a side-project by Norwegian black metal artist Ildjarn collaborating with Nidhogg. It's beautiful and mesmerizing from beginning to end; never a dull moment. Apparently, the music is about the natural beauty of a mountain plateau in western Norway named the Hardangervidda. Fitting, as it truly makes me feel as if I'm standing on top of a mountain. I don't just hear this kind of music. I don't merely listen to it. I absorb it, and it becomes a part of me. It's hard to believe it originated in a studio, and not my soul.

It would complement my mountainous wanders in the future so well, or even coastal strides in the moonlight. I want to find more music like this. Accepting any and all recommendations, and I will upload it if anyone is interested.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Vinterriket ambients releases, which there are many of. I think Shin-Ra will agree with me saying that this guy is an ambient genius and all of his work gives the exact image and feeling you described. You definitely feel as if you're standing atop a mountain peek or deep within a frozen forest. All his music is very cold and distant which just adds to effect.

Another recommendation is Lustmord. He specializes in dark ambient, so most of his work sounds almost like what you'd expect to hear in a cave or in a forest at night. The sound itself is very authentic and never sounds cheap. He's really at the top of the ambient pack and I can't recommend his work enough.

Beyond that, it's comes down to whether you like the two above artists. I could recommend you a ton of other acts, but I'll see how you like some of this stuff. If you need me to upload any of it, you'll have to wait for about a week.

Posted by Ant

I couldn't find this on any torrent search with decent seeds. So an upload would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Paysage d'Hiver and [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gotq8AgUgSE&mode=related&search=]Vinterriket[/url] are my personal favorites for the sound you described. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIWSSlvO4U]Nebelkorona[/url], a Vinterriket side-project, is also quite good and has a more feeling more closely associated with Autumn rather than Vinterriket's winter aura.

I'll upload what you want from any of these artists. I have basically everything Vinterriket, Paysage d'Hiver, Ildjarn, Nebelkornoa, and Burzum have ever done and quite a few similar artists (as does Vamp). Are you looking for just the Dark Ambient music or do you mind some Black Metal fused in? I've found that the best of both genres is when they're mixed, as the contrast is quite effective. Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is also nature themed and is a good example of this.

Quoted post: I've found that the best of both genres is when they're mixed, as the contrast is quite effective.

Truth. I definitely prefer it when both are mixed, rather than just pure ambience. Plus, you can get black/ambient bands that stay pretty intense and fast all the way through, like Darkspace, or choose to slow it down and focus on the droning and atmosphere like Thralldom.

Also, another good Burzum album for that black/ambient sound is Filosofem.

Oh, and Neptune Towers is a good, pure ambient act. It's done by Fenriz of Darkthrone if that's of any relevance to you. Excellent stuff.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I have absolutely no Lustmord, Thralldom, or Neptune Towers. So I request whichever ones you wish to upload. When do you get that HD again? I'll upload like eight albums for you at the very least, as I owe you.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, your hard drive better hurry up and get there, because I've got 2 more Yat-Khas and some other stuff.

Quoted post: I have absolutely no Lustmord, Thralldom, or Neptune Towers. So I request whichever ones you wish to upload. When do you get that HD again? I'll upload like eight albums for you at the very least, as I owe you.

Should be this week, maybe saturday.

Oh, and Gar, you'll love Thralldom I think. Amazing stuff.