Future PLAYSTATION 3's not Backwards compatible!?

Posted by Cruxis

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]Yep! ya better get you're hands on a PS3 now kiddies, while they are hot (or steal one...not mine!). Cause, sony's giving the boot to the Backwards Compatibility-Chip on all NEW* PLAYSTATION 3's. Currently PS3's still have the Chipset, but for how long? (until Summer 07". So sony fan's get them while you can.)[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by KoH

You know, information like this is neat. But I really like seeing proof so when I tell friends about it I don't look like a moron when citing the source I discovered the information from (ie, you).

Posted by Random

Quoting Cruxis: [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]Yep! ya better get you're hands on a PS3 now kiddies, while they are hot (or steal one...not mine!). Cause, sony's giving the boot to the Backwards Compatibility-Chip on all NEW* PLAYSTATION 3's. Currently PS3's still have the Chipset, but for how long? (until Summer 07". So sony fan's get them while you can.)[/COLOR][/FONT]

I don't know how I could possibly believe the backwards compatible thing. You;ve already lied.. They are far from hot my friend...

Posted by Big Boss

The PS2 chip, the Emotion Engine, will no longer be the way the PS3 does backwards compatibility. It'll do it through software emulation, like the 360 does for Xbox games. Of course, that means not every title will be emulated because some games need special attention because of their code, and if they aren't popular enough or their fix doesn't emulate a bunch of other titles along with them, then these games won't get worked on. Basically, it's the same issue Xbox 360 owners have had with their original Xbox games.

This makes good business sense for Sony, since they won't have to manufacture the PS3 with the Emotion Engine anymore (thus cutting cost), although I don't think anything has been officially announced. Still, with the ability to download PSOne games and play them on the PS3, they have more options to preserve and provide some of the classic titles that have been part of the PlayStation Family for the last 10 years.

Posted by KoH

See, okay, what Boss said made a HELL of a lot more sense than the first post. Plus it's actually believable and doesn't seem like complete bull****.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Pretty sure this is what they're doing in Europe already. Not such a big deal.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting KoH: See, okay, what Boss said made a HELL of a lot more sense than the first post. Plus it's actually believable and doesn't seem like complete bull****.

sony fairies sprinkling pixie dust on the ps3s before they ship to make them play ps2 and ps1 games, and the fact that the spell would soon wear off would have been a better explanation than the topic creator gave.

Posted by _Razgriz_

If I were to buy a Playstation 3, it would be to play Playstation 3 games. Especially since the biggest selling console was the PS2 so most people have that to play their PS2 and PS1 games.

Posted by Cruxis

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]For those of you who said you didnt believe me. All I can say is "huh!?" Do I have to break down every little thing like Big Boss did? Look at Vampiro! see how he is a Informed Gamer. See how Big Boss Knew exactly what I was talking about. Subscribe some Magazines visit a Game Store, do something to further youre game related knowledge.
I mean, This PS3 EMOTION Chip thing is a pretty big first for Sony (hell it's the only real thing keeping PS3 alive, that and MGS4). I figured most of you Had at least heard rumors already. After all this IS the Net. I also have a few sources like IGN & 1up, but I really first heard rumor about it about two months ago from a issue of EGM.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by KoH

[quote=Cruxis;573952][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]For those of you who said you didnt believe me. All I can say is "huh!?" Do I have to break down every little thing like Big Boss did? Look at Vampiro! see how he is a Informed Gamer. See how Big Boss Knew exactly what I was talking about. Subscribe some Magazines visit a Game Store, do something to further youre game related knowledge.
I mean, This PS3 EMOTION Chip thing is a pretty big first for Sony (hell it's the only real thing keeping PS3 alive, that and MGS4). I figured most of you Had at least heard rumors already. After all this IS the Net. I also have a few sources like IGN & 1up, but I really first heard rumor about it about two months ago from a issue of EGM.[/COLOR][/FONT]

You, buddy, are a complete moron.

[quote=Cruxis;572928][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=White]Yep! ya better get you're hands on a PS3 now kiddies, while they are hot (or steal one...not mine!). Cause, sony's giving the boot to the Backwards Compatibility-Chip on all NEW* PLAYSTATION 3's. Currently PS3's still have the Chipset, but for how long? (until Summer 07". So sony fan's get them while you can.)[/COLOR][/FONT]

NOWHERE in your post does it even attempt to mention that Sony would be using an alternate method for backwards-compatibility. Your attempt to save your own *** is pathetic. What you failed to do in the beginning and even now is provide us with solid proof of what the **** you're talking about.

In your original post, you made it seem like Sony was getting rid of the entire backwards-compatablity feature of the PS3. Making the PS3 seem less worth the money than it is. If we all had been "informed gamers" then why would you bother creating a thread with the sole purpose of... well... informing us of the news?

And btw, your own ******* thread title clearly states that Sony's completely getting rid of the entire feature.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I mean, This PS3 EMOTION Chip thing is a pretty big first for Sony (hell it's the only real thing keeping PS3 alive, that and MGS4).

Yes. Those are the only things keeping the PS3 alive. Those are the only reasons people buy a PS3--to play Metal Gear and all their old PS2 games. That's exactly it.

Someone needs to subscribe to some of them magazines and become an "Informed Gamer."

Posted by muffla

as long as i can play *** of war II (the first one two, but the second is a must) then i will still buy one... eventually

Posted by Cruxis

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;573969]Yes. Those are the only things keeping the PS3 alive. Those are the only reasons people buy a PS3--to play Metal Gear and all their old PS2 games. That's exactly it.

Someone needs to subscribe to some of them magazines and become an "Informed Gamer."

Okay, you got me there. I was just saying I have heard folks say that if sony lost MGS4 and PS2 games, that it would be the biggest reason for them to not actually purchase a PS3.

The countless Multi-card slots, Blue-tooth, Blu-ray, Cell Processor, Convent Layout, Ray of Helpful options, PC conversion, PSP Remote Play, Free Online Services and the broad selection of both First & Third Party Support made the case for me though. Go figure.