Post-rock

Posted by Omni

I noticed that although we talk about it in my blog a lot, there's never much mention of this in the main music board. So, here's a thread for ya.

Post-rock is a genre of music that is comprised mostly of lengthy instrumental pieces. It tends to feature relaxed song structures with a lot of groove on them, and it's very peaceful to listen to. There's usually a lot of reverbed guitar, and the drum and bass parts are usually pretty interesting. There may also be other instruments present.

Anyway, I haven't been listening to it for very long, some of the post-rock bands I've come to really enjoy are Caspian, Explosions In The Sky, Pelican, and Yndi Halda. There's a lot of great bands that aren't very well know, and it's unfortunate because many of them are incredibly talented and produce very unique and beautiful music.

I have been uploading a lot lately, so if anyone is interested in checking this stuff out, I can help you get a few albums to start with. I know there's a few other people like Xenos and Vampiro who also enjoy this kind of music.

Posted by Oforia

That new pelican album you uploaded was pretty good.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Thanks partly to you guy's, i've been on a huge Post-Rock kick lately. I've been listening to it for years, but now i'm discovering a lot of new bands.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Most of the post rock that I've listened to is fantastic. GY!BE was probably what got me into it.

Posted by fates warning

I havent really ever listened to post rock, but I think Ill look at some some stuff in the upload thread. Judging by the reactions to this thread, its got to be good.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Yeah, GSYBE! was what introduced me to Post-Rock also.Around 1999 or so.

Posted by Omni

The first band I heard from the genre was Explosions In The Sky, because Vampiro sent me some songs and uploaded a few of their albums. Then I some stuff by The Samuel Jackson Five from Xenos. I downloaded some by other bands later on.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

After black metal it's the genre I own the most music from. A lot of it's good, but a lot is, like any genre, just the same stuff repeated in different styles, from imitations to direct rip-offs.

Posted by Omni

Hey, could you do me a favor and list all the post-rock bands you think I should look up here, Vampiro?

Thought I did that in MSN...

yeah, here:

Apse, Acesnt of Everest, Autumn Project, Below the Sea, Blue Neck, Burn Rome in a Dream, CtrlAltDelete, Daturah. Destroyalldreamers, Efterklang, El Ten Eleven, Eluvium, Evpatoria Report, *** is an Astronaut, Grails, Gregor Samsa, Helios, Jakob, Laura, Lebanon, Let Planes Circle, Meanwhile back in communist Russia, Mono, Monoland, My Dad vs Yours, My Education, Pelican, Port-Royal, Red Sparrows, Samuel Jackson Five, Saxon Shore, The Sea Like Lead, Shora, The Silent Type, This Will Destroy You, We vs. Death

That's some of the best of what I've got. The bolded are the best out of those (or at least the best out of what I think you haven't listened to yet.) Basically, if you can find 'em all, download 'em. They're all really good.

Posted by Omni

Thank you. I didn't save that MSN convo for some reason. I actually have quite a few of those already. I'm going to try and get some of those, especially Mono. I keep hearing about them.

Yeah, Mono's the leader in Post-Rock without a doubt. ****ing epic live too.

Posted by Xenos

******T [i.e. Negative Trend] first introduced me to the genre through a series of songs by Tracer AMC, Crombie, GY!BE, Samuel Jackson and a few others [that are less mention worthy ...]. I began infatuated and started looking for me .... due to the lack of tools, I wasn't very sucessful until I began to use DC++ more and Soul Seek, to some extent.

Its a very relaxing type of music that isn't for everyone due to the "weirdness," as Sabredog put it, but I like it. Sometimes it sounds like a bunch of random sound effects to others, yet the "randomness" and "free-form" style just feels relaxing to me. I think the reason why I like Space Rock so much is that it ofen evokes imagery in my head as I just close my eyes and listen to it.

Quoted post: I think the reason why I like Space Rock so much is that it ofen evokes imagery in my head as I just close my eyes and listen to it.

You need Vinterriket's ambient releases.

Posted by Omni

The best band I found anything by that was never mentioned on VGC is called Ellis The Vacuumchild. I actually really liked their album.