Cosplay funds

Posted by Fate

My Oboro costume has been in the making for months now. I've been spending so much money on trying to get it right. I'm so relieved that I'm pretty much set to make my first full cosplay appearance without making the character I play look terrible. My first attempt at cosplay was Lulu from FFX, but I feared I didn't get it quite right so I didn't go to any conventions with it. I was looking for cosplayers of Oboro and found one, but was completely disgusted at the unauthentic appearance and general lack of formality. I guess I can thank her for making me go all out with this costume.

Kimono: $90
Obi: $45
Sandals: $26
Ties and laces: $7
Socks: $14
Hair: $10
Accessories: $6
Makeup: $29
Expected but unnecessary add-ons to improve authentic look, such as hadajuban and eri-sugata: $64

Total Spent: $217
Total Expected: About $300

Have any of you cosplayers out there gone all out like this? I'm wondering how much time you guys spend on costumes.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Making the costume your self is always cheaper. Cosplayers usually learn how to sew and stuff so they won't spend a fortune on the actual costume, so they can save the $ for the props and other things. You should give it a whirl next time around

Posted by Dexter

I've done so many different costumes and the time it takes varies considerably. I've had costumes take me over a year to complete entirely and I've had some only take me a few weeks, or even only a few days, if I have all the supplies needed. It depends how much I care about the costume and what exactly it is for. There are some costumes that I am truly devoted to and I want as perfect as possible, according to my standards, and then there are others I care little for and only need to get them decent for a friend at a convention or whatever.

Moneys the same way. I usually don't keep track, but I'm sure I've spent over 500 dollars to complete a costume. Some of the things I do are outrageously expensive, especially for some of the trivial details.

Posted by Fate

I saw a "kimono" made out of a ****ing bath robe. I don't like to cheapen my characters. If I could sew my own authentic kimono, I would. If I could make my own authentic waraji sandals, I would. If I wanted to look like a fag, I would.

Point being that Oboro is very important to me. Her outfit requires realism to me. She wears a real kimono with all the trimmings, not a bath robe and store-bought sandals.

Posted by Fate

I'm going to the Jacon this May, I hope. I'm going to enter a cosplay contest! So much money will be spent on that glorious day.

Posted by Linko_16

The only time I really went all-out on a costume was Red Mage, and a lot of it was cheap parts. Most expensive thing was a rented Pirate cosutme I used bits and pieces of.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Dug my Tuxedo Mask costume back out and spruced it up a bit for Halloween this year:

[IMG]http://www.smitesoftware.com/images/costume2.jpg[/IMG]

All I need is opera gloves and an Extend-O Beat Stick to complete the costume.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Extend-o what's it?

Do you mean an asp baton? Or something similar to that affect?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yeah, sure. Whatever.

Posted by Tyler Durden

You can probably find a light weight [URL="http://www.bljsselfdefense.com/asp-26-duratec-aluminum-expandable-baton-p500.html"]aluminum asp[/URL] for around $20-30 at your local military surplus retailer.