Nintendo as the market Innovator.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

When I first heard about the Wii's motion-sensing interface, I didn't like the idea. But when I think about it, Nintendo is always the one to bring out crazy ideas that become quite a staple of video gaming.

Like the NES came with a gun that you could point at the TV and shoot. It also came with a robot that would spin tops for you and place them on buttons to assist you.

The SNES didn't really have any weird innovative interface, except the Super Scope, which was similar to the Zapper. SNES had a lot of innovative games, though.

Then the N64 did a lot of junk. They added two more controller ports. They added a place to put a device that would make your controller shake as you played the game. They added a stick in addition to the traditional D-Pad. I'm not sure if it worked for other games, but there was a microphone for the game "Hey You, Pikachu", which was a new idea too.

It's interesting that now, after the N64, having controllers that shake/rumble is prettymuch a standard in game systems, as is the analog stick

The Gamecube was like the SNES in that it didn't have too many weird interface things, but it did have a better microphone and a lot of super-fun games.

The Nintendo DS... I don't need to explain that one for you. It opened up a whole new way of playing games, making it possible to play various minigames and indeed, entire games in a totally original way that I had never done before.

And now the Nintendo Wii, they have again done something original and awesome. I'm surprised at how well the thing works. I was expecting it to be faulty and that it would miss your movements a lot, but it's actually incredibly well done, yet again allowing us to play video games in a way we never did before.

Anyone else notice this trend of Nintendo being the innovators of the Video Game Market?

Posted by muffla

i agree with you, but the question is, is it what people want? not alot of people bought the cube and there was and still is a great demand for the wii, but hardly any good games out for it, i have a wii and hardly touched it after wii sports (but i really need to get zelda :) )

Posted by Colonel

Of course. That's why I've always baught Nintendo's merchandise because I can expect something new everytime. I will keep buying Nintendo's consols if they keep up the mind blowing ideas.

EDIT:

Quoting muffla: but hardly any good games out for it

That's an absurd statement. Say that to all 11 of my wii games.

Posted by Bebop

Nintendo arent shy when it comes to this kind of thing and its good they do. Nintendo arent the only ones who innovate but I certainly think they are the main ones. I wonder how the next generation will be.

Posted by Speedfreak

The SNES actually gave birth to plenty of psuedo-3D games because of Mode 7. Mario Kart was really one of the first proper racing games that made you feel like you were racing on an actual track. SNES really boosted music in games, too, it's music capabilities totally outclassed the Mega Drives. Go look on OCRemix, the most often remixed games are mostly SNES.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I remember the SNES had an RPG-centric controller in Japan, too. You could use it one-handed so that you could hold maps/magazines/booze in the other hand while playing. I wanted one of those really badly, but was never able to find one. Also, the SNES Satellaview in Japan allowed downloadable content, such as a remade Legend of Zelda that I also wanted with every fiber of my being and still do. Confound Nintendo for not releasing it in America even though I would probably have been one of only a dozen people who bought it!