Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone

Posted by Dexter

So Zeta recommended me this game and I decided that I'll journey through it. I'm thinking I'll start it this coming Friday, hopefully after I defeat Super Paper Mario. I can't even remember the last GBA game I went through.

So is Zeta the only member here who has gone through this game? I was hoping to hear some thoughts before I started it. What should I prepare for? What characters should I watch out for? Anything particular that I should scrutinize?

It's from the makers of Riviera, another GBA game I never went through. Should I check that one out, too?

Posted by Shade

Haven't played Yggdra yet, but Riviera is great.

Posted by Zeta

I think I am the only one on VGC that's played it, or at least said anything about playing it. :(

[quote]What should I prepare for?
Don't go into this thinking it's like Fire Emblem. All your units share Move, and you can only begin a battle once per turn, so you'll have to think of Union positions and stuff beforehand. Also, don't ignore the Card Skills like I did on my first playthrough. They help a lot.
[quote]What characters should I watch out for?
Not sure if you mean recruiting-wise or personality-wise or what.
[quote]It's from the makers of Riviera, another GBA game I never went through. Should I check that one out, too?

YES!

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Zeta: Also, don't ignore the Card Skills like I did on my first playthrough. They help a lot.

I wasn't even aware that the card system was involved with this game. I was interested in playing more card RPGs awhile back. I won't be ignoring it.

Quoting Zeta: Not sure if you mean recruiting-wise or personality-wise or what.

Both, actually. What were some of your favorite characters and what characters do you think I'll take a liking to, personality-wise?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Dexter: I wasn't even aware that the card system was involved with this game. I was interested in playing more card RPGs awhile back. I won't be ignoring it.

Cards affect how much Morale damage you do to an enemy, and of course let you use special abilites during unions if the card's requirements are met. They also determine how far your characters can move, so you need to clear your current objective before you run out of cards.

[quote]Both, actually. What were some of your favorite characters and what characters do you think I'll take a liking to, personality-wise?

In terms of recruiting, there are 11 characters. 5 are mandatory, 2 you have to choose between, 2 are temporary characters, and 2 are optional.

Personality-wise, idk. Some characters don't talk a lot, usually only when they're near the leader of the opposing party. Then again, I don't pay attention to game stories or any of that too often. One noteworthy character I can think of was Baldus, an old knight that is very respectful towards your party members, despite the fact that you're enemies.

Posted by Ant

I played through a couple hours of it. It was alright. But didn't grasp my attention all that much.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Zeta: Then again, I don't pay attention to game stories or any of that too often.

That surprises me. I thought you were really into the details about the stories and the personality behind the characters themselves. I know I am. Tales of the Abyss had some excellent characters. They actually held memorable personalities, especially Anise and Guy. When I play RPG games, the characters mean the most, followed by the story.

So I might start this game tomorrow or Friday, depending on how my game time/progress goes with Super Paper Mario. I also have Riviera now and I plan on journeying through that one soon after.

Posted by Shade

Story > Characters > Designs

The rest is just moot.

Posted by Slade

I've got both games, now, too. I got Yggdra a while back but have put almost no time into it because I'm rushing to catch up with my friends in the Pokemon series... And I just got Riviera today because I'd never seen it in stores before, and heard it was excellent. Riviera seems to be centered on story and characters, so I think you'll like it. So far I've enjoyed the exchanges between the characters, and I know there are a lot of good conversations later on, too.

I've decided to play Riviera and then Yggdra Union, in that order. It'll probably take me ages. :/

Posted by Shade

I'll probably pick up Yggdra after I complete FFV and FFVI.

Posted by Slade

Yeah, I played Riviera some more, and it rocks pretty hard. I already want to play it again because of the chances I've missed so far, but I'm telling myself I have to deal with what I end up with this time through. Haha for the first couple little "challenges" I just completely botched them. It was embarrassing.

And with the relationship aspect... can I work on two girls at one time? :-*
I haven't even seen Cierra yet, but I'm already aiming to get her and maybe Fia to like me. So yeah, can I juggle both?

Posted by Ant

Yeah, I cheated a lot on Riviera. Save states sure do help a lot on those random chests ;)

Posted by Dexter

I haven't cared much for Yggdra Union so far. I've got maybe 2 hours left to it and it has been dragging on and I've found myself uninterested. Fire Emblem is much more to my liking. I'm still glad I've gone through this game though. I'm into strategy games and it's cool to explore some of the ones I missed out on.

Anyway, I should find the time to defeat it tonight and I'm looking forward to starting Riviera tomorrow.

Posted by Zeta

2 hours left? Wow, that was fast. It took me like a week to play through the whole thing.

Posted by Dexter

I gave it a lot of time. I started Friday night and played it for 5 straight hours until I finally fell asleep. Then on Saturday morning I played for awhile until the girls were awake and ready to go to the park where all I really did was skateboard and play that game on my breaks. Then I also played it late that night.

But I was well-wrong about having only two hours left. I played for at least 3 more hours last night, after I made that post, and now I might have only two hours left, if that. I'll definitely have it defeated by tonight.

This game is making me look so forward to the next Fire Emblem installment. It's getting me in the mood.

Posted by GameMiestro

As I've told Zeta, I don't like the save system in this game. It's probably one of the few games I've bought that I'm not going to even bother trying to beat.

Posted by Dexter

Almost done! Just a little further!

What was wrong with the save system? Some of the levels were really too long and since my time organization made it difficult to spend a long time playing it at once, I found myself desiring a mid-save option or shorter levels or something.

Posted by Zeta

There's a suspend option in the menu.

Apparently GM haets suspend-type saves.

Posted by Dexter

The problem I have with that is sometimes I want to do the whole thing over again, especially if I make mistakes or have better ideas by the end of the level. Of course, I always take advantage of usually using a seperate profile or double-saving.

Posted by Zeta

Heh, you have to restart a hell of a lot more when trying to fill out the Item Manual. Setting everything up right to get Aegina's Deathbringer on BF-15 caused me a helluva lot of trouble. :cookie:

Posted by Poco

Quoting Dexter: Almost done! Just a little further!

What was wrong with the save system? Some of the levels were really too long and since my time organization made it difficult to spend a long time playing it at once, I found myself desiring a mid-save option or shorter levels or something.

Try super robot taisen: OG2

or hell buy OG1 and OG2

Posted by Dexter

I finished Yggdra Union. There was a lot more left than I expected and I had trouble getting through it. I was ardently determined to conquer it last night though, so that's exactly what I did. 'Tis were good.

So now I have to face the choice of conquering Riviera next or joining the Pokemon Pearl enthusiasm. It's good to be on board with everyone while it's hawt but my desire is pointing me towards Riviera. Riviera it is.

Posted by Dexter

Help! I'm kinda stuck in Riviera. How do you destroy the elementals? The little fire guys that alter their colour? Do you need something magical? I've tried all I can think of and every time I try to strike them it is invalid. What should I do? My progress can not be so awfully hindered! Zeta, save me!

Posted by Zeta

Check the element resistance on their stats screen. You can only hit them with whatever element they're weak to.

Posted by Xenos

I found Riviera to be a much more fun game than Yggra and holy wow, you are at that point already? When did you first begin and how long did you start playing it?

I feel embarassed to admit that I played Riviera over a few times from the beginning because I didn't quite understand it - I've never really felt with tatics RPGames as such ... so yeah.

Posted by Dexter

I think I am nearing the 9 or possibly the 10 hour mark. I haven't been doing the little cheat thing though but I do practice and level up whenever I get a few new items. I played it nearly all night last night. I started as soon as the girls fell asleep and I'm planning on doing the same tonight. How far would you say that is? Maybe the halfway point? I've been working hard, trying to get to Pokemon Pearl.

I still wonder if using something they're weak too will work for me. I tried so many different items. What if I don't have an item that will work, something they're weak too?

Posted by Xenos

Depends on what stage you are on. Who was the last person that you recruited?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Dexter: I still wonder if using something they're weak too will work for me. I tried so many different items. What if I don't have an item that will work, something they're weak too?

They change their element occasionally throughout the battle. Einherjar works on them when they have no element/when they're gray.

Posted by Dexter

I destroyed them last night. It seemed so easy once I finally did it.

And I progress until I got stuck again. This time my problem is lowering the water level so I can progress. There's a glyph I went into and put the fire statue thingy in and it got some water down but once I went a bit further there were no more glyphs and high water level, hindering my progress. What do I do about this? :(

I think I like Cierra the best, although the only characters I've been using in battle are the ones that I established first, Fia, Lina, and Ein.

Posted by Zeta

Make sure you have all 6 glyphs first.

Map of the lake area is 3x3

OOO
OOO
OOO

The glyph you use determines which screens the water will lower in. Using the L glyph...

XOO
XOO
XXX

Using the X glyph...

XOX
OXO
XOX

See how it works?

Posted by Dexter

I think so. I have all 6. But whenever I take the "A" one out, the fire one, the water goes up and I can't get passed it.

Posted by Zeta

Put L in Red Crystal Sanctuary. Apart from that, I can't remember which glyphs to use in the other sanctuaries.

I also believe there are three water levels. No glyphs = Lv.3/Impassable. 1 glyph = Lv.2/Passable, might miss some items/passage to Area 5-9. Lv.1 = Passable, and can get items/go to Area 5-9.

Posted by Dexter

Conquered. Fantastic game. By the time I thought I was towards the end of the game there were still about 3 stages left. Seemed to drag on, but of course that's a good thing. Rose ended up being my favorite character by the end. Furry beauty.

Glad I went through these games.