You think Microsoft will get into handheld?

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

The other day i was playin my PSP and looked up at my xbox360. i wonderd to myself, "will microsoft ever get into the handhelds?" i think they should cuz that'd be freakin awesome. has anyone heard anything about a xbox handheld? wat do u guys think it would be like?

Posted by Random

nah...

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting EvilDeadGamer: wat do u guys think it would be like?

First thing that comes to mind: Handheld Halo....

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No. Sony tried and failed. I don't think MS wants to attempt it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Arcadios: First thing that comes to mind: Handheld Halo....

Perish the thought

Posted by TendoAddict

I think their busy owning the home market to try. Maybe when they are a bit more free in a few years.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: No. Sony tried and failed. I don't think MS wants to attempt it.

I wouldn't say they failed, seeing as how it was the first handheld from Sony into a mass market. Selling over 20 million units to Nintendo's established 38 million doesn't sound like "great success" but still not a failure. I think it was the support that just kind of dwindled.

I can see Microsoft going in the war some day, but they are going to need more support from Japan. If they want to avoid a debacle, maybe they could do a U.S.-only release.

Posted by Electrical Hazard

I think that we will be seeing the next generation of X-Box before we see a microsoft handheld
I dont think it would be very successful I know that if there was one I would probably not buy it.

Posted by Fate

Funny how you would be so quick to say that considering not a lick of support was even mentioned! It could have fabulous support, you know.

Posted by Kit

There's no telling whether they will or not, but I'd like to see something good out of the idea. Microsoft does well in console development, so who knows? Maybe they can turn out well from a new handheld console.

Posted by Speedfreak

Haha, no. Microsoft perform pretty fucking poorly when there's genuine competition around, how on Earth would they face a monopoly?

Posted by Fate

The Japanese weren't so quick to accept Microsoft consoles because the games on the systems didn't appeal to the culture. I think handhelds make a little more room for that. I don't think a handheld from the U.S. would fare so well, though, so maybe it could be released in a limited amount of countries. They could do well.

Posted by Zeta

If the protagonist isn't some feminine-looking male, the Japanese don't want it.

Posted by Shade

And they have to be somewhat gay.

Example: Tidus.

Quoted post: I wouldn't say they failed, seeing as how it was the first handheld from Sony into a mass market. Selling over 20 million units to Nintendo's established 38 million doesn't sound like "great success" but still not a failure. I think it was the support that just kind of dwindled.

They failed to beat Nintendo or come anywhere close. The price drove away developers and now there's not a whole lot to pick and choose. Though, the games that do come out are actually fairly good, there's just not a lot of them, or enough to make it super successful. Seriously though, Sony didn't come into the handheld business to be a distant second. They failed. Maybe when their price drops below $130 things will turn around for them.

Posted by Fate

Failed to beat Nintendo? Yeah, by a great deal. Failed as a handheld? I don't think I'd go that far.

Posted by Zeta

Everyone I know that has a PSP didn't even buy it for the games. Bought it for all that other crap it has.

Quoted post: Failed to beat Nintendo? Yeah, by a great deal. Failed as a handheld? I don't think I'd go that far.

It failed.

Posted by OniLink

I wouldn't be surprised since X-Box has to compete with Nintendo and Playstation. If they did, the question would be what games could they produce?

Posted by Viro

Hmm... I think it's certainly plausible. They have the potential to do so, i'm quite sure. Whether or not said hand-held, however, would be productively efficacious for Microsoft, is another question, entirely. Heh... I used to get into these large, online DS-is-greater-than-PSP debates. It was rather entertaining, at the time, and as we know, the DS ended up on top. But as for Microsoft doing so, I doubt they'd be announcing anything like that anytime, soon. But I think it'd be a wee too soon to assume they aren't already venturing forth into the field. I'm quite sure they may already be developing something, but it'd be a year or two before we hear about _it_, or said results.

Posted by lanzer

Unoffically, [URL="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/homebrew/a-real-portable-xbox-191154.php"]it already happend[/URL]

Offically, nah dont think so. Microsoft allready knows of SONYs partical failure PSP and i dont think they would chance it. even if they would seriously consider it, they would have to put ALLOT of thought on how to make a portiable system that fans would like.

Posted by Viro

Oh... WOW. Nice find. I definitely got a good laugh off'a that one... "Love the 'hulk green', though". Any-hoo, it would be difficult, yes, but those very same circumstances didn't keep Microsoft from releasing the X-Box. I think it's possible, but I don't know if Microsoft will ever actually release anything, or if it would be something that would ever advance out of the stage of hypothesis or conception. *Chuckle* And I doubt it'd look anything like |THAT|.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;568363][COLOR=skyblue]Failed to beat Nintendo? Yeah, by a great deal. Failed as a handheld? I don't think I'd go that far.[/COLOR]

Failed to become "the walkman of the 20th century"? Yes. Failed to make UMD a successful disc media? Yes. Failed to take any marketshare whatsoever away from Nintendo? Yes.

PSP is the Gamecube of handhelds, a commercial failure but not a financial one.

At least the Gamecube, in my opinion, had several games of worthy mention. PSP has pretty much got fuck all.

Posted by GameMiestro

The PSP had some games of worthy mention... hell, they've had more good games in post-winter 2007 than the DS has had, that's for sure. But I don't think that Microsoft will get into handhelds anytime soon- they've been forced to realize that simply having their logo attached to something will not make their product sell. The iPod proved this.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Fate: Failed to beat Nintendo? Yeah, by a great deal. Failed as a handheld? I don't think I'd go that far.

I would say it failed as a handheld. Hardly any good games really. :c

Posted by Creedence

If they do, one things for sure, THEY BETTER HAVE TWO **** ANALOG STICKS!!!!

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

Quoting MMX&oldies-fan: If they do, one things for sure, THEY BETTER HAVE TWO **** ANALOG STICKS!!!!

Yea, no kiddin

Posted by Creedence

Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Posted by Creedence

Lol, I thought a de-rep was coming if I talked Klingon too much. I'll stop now, and Vamp, hes my fellow nerd friend, he understands that I told him his mother has a smooth forehead. I'm not mad thought, wouldn't make a difference if there was anyway.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

They might, who knows? I would be interested to see what Microsoft would do to make it good and not a complete waste of money like PSP, though that might not happen

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I'm probably the only one who wouldn't really mind if a handheld were big and bulky so long as it had working analog sticks. That little nub on the psp just doesn't cut it, and I'm still a bit miffed at Nintendo for not making the bottom half of the DS an entire N64 or GAMECUBE controller. 3D games need analog.

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

Your not alone in that thought. i accualy want one of the "Green Hulk" things that lanzer showed.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting lanzer: Unoffically, [URL="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/homebrew/a-real-portable-xbox-191154.php"]it already happend[/URL]

Someone please view that page one more time.

Done.

All right, fine, **** you internet. Don't want to count my view? **** you

Posted by mis0

Why would I need a portable microsoft gaming system? OH!! Because I really need to take the BSOD around with me everywhere I go, of course ^______________________________________________^

Quoted post: Because I really need to take the HALO around with me everywhere I go, of course

that's about right

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Shade32;568177]And they have to be somewhat gay.

Example: Tidus.
Edit: And look like Meg Ryan.