Imus Fired..wow

Posted by Kamek

Are you joking? This is the hugest double standard I've ever seen. What Imus said was out of line for nationally syndicated radio, and I did originally agree with some sort of reprimand but firing him? This was blown WAY out of proportion. I don't even believe some of these people. Half the population calling for Imus' resignation have probably never even heard the program for the most part.

It's funny how certain comedians and rappers are allowed to say what they want but Imus gets fired over this. Imus has done a lot for people of all races and although what he said was horrible, I don't think his career deserved to end this way. If you read the transcript of the statement, it read much like something that would be said in casual conversation on the street. Although I don't agree with what he said, I thought the suspension was a fitting punishment. I really don't think Imus deserves to be fired.

What are your thoughts?

Posted by Iris

Dem some spiteful nappy-hair hoes.

I agree that is was completely out of line for the broadcasting he was doing, but suspension alone was enough. It's funny how tolerance for jokes and offensive remarks can vary so much from the slightest change in environment.

Posted by veritas

I hope he goes on Sirius or XM radio like Howard Stern did. Hed be better off there

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Iris: Dem some spiteful nappy-hair hoes.

I agree that is was completely out of line for the broadcasting he was doing, but suspension alone was enough. It's funny how tolerance for jokes and offensive remarks can vary so much from the slightest change in environment.

I can't even believe this. I think I'm getting madder and madder. Al Sharpton really ****es me off. When the Sean Bell thing happened, that was something crusading over. For those of you not in NYC, Bell was shot 50 times by the police. However the time and effort wasted on this? Way to fight racism! Fire someone who has done so much for all sorts of communities. I don't really see at all what this does to help the cause of fighting bigotry. If people weren't so busy blaming others, and tried to look inward to solve their problems maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting The Sniper: I hope he goes on Sirius or XM radio like Howard Stern did. Hed be better off there

The thing is Imus to me, was more about political things and news than anything. I think people have the perception that his show was some like crazy kind of show.

Posted by veritas

*** its Sharpton's fault. He just makes it sound 100 times worse than what it really is. Doesn't he have anything else to do?

Posted by Jeffereyshalom

NAPPY HEADED HO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there i said it :)

Posted by veritas

I thought it was funny when the white girls went on the stage as well.

Posted by Iris

Why? It was hardly racist.

Posted by veritas

Hes definatly siad worse things before but no one got up in an uproar over it.

Posted by booyah719

I'm gonna start listening to the rap stations and watch out for words like "cracker" and "honkey" and then bust their chops real good! I'll need someone to blow it out of proportion too....who's the white version of Sharpton?

Posted by Rhea

Who cares? I mean honestly, Imus wasn't that popular anyway. Everyone knows there is a double standard, I don't see any new news relating to that. The guy was an idiot and was fired. Big deal shouldn't have said it.

Posted by booyah719

Um, if you didn't care just a little, you wouldn't have bothered replying. I could have sworn that's why this whole ****ing thing is in place, no?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Why? It was hardly racist.

Yes it was. That's the whole point. "Nappy hair" is ****** hair.

Anywho, I got a good laugh out of all of this. I can't believe people made such a big deal out of it. Yeah, it was racist, but it's even more racist to blow it so out of proportion. lol equality

Quoted post: Um, if you didn't care just a little, you wouldn't have bothered replying. I could have sworn that's why this whole ****ing thing is in place, no?

Fun fact: you don't have to actually care to post about it.

Posted by Raptor

The reason he was fired is not even because of what he said so much as because the media caught onto it and made it into a huge story, thus garnering large amounts of controversy. The media probably just happened to lock on to that particular statement for lack of a better target at the time.

Posted by veritas

They actually fired him because he lost all of his sponsers, in turn CBS losses money and they have no choice but to fire him.

Posted by Rhea

Quoting booyah719: Um, if you didn't care just a little, you wouldn't have bothered replying. I could have sworn that's why this whole ****ing thing is in place, no?

I really don't care, and it dosen't affect me personally one way or another. I was simply replying to the to the discussion at hand. People who actually treat this as it affects their individual lives have nothing better to do and obviously enjoy wasting time. Sure, it is a political issue that was driven way out of proportion, but that still doesn't make me care. As Vampiro V. Empire said, you don't have to care about something to reply about it. Go figure, idiot.

Posted by Random

Imus was wrong for saying what he did.. but at the same time our Media goes insane with it. I think it went too far... I realize people would get upset for him saying "nappy headed ho's" but who the hell cares? WHATEVER happend to freedom of speech? Honestly...

I feel that as an American, I should have the freedoms to say Fag, Jew, Spick, Chink, Jew, Pollock (WHICH I AM!!!), Ho's, or any other word that might offend others. Aslong as you don't mean it, I feel that people should calm the F*** down about it. I'm a pollock. OHHH big deal.. i'll call myself a Pollock all day. It doesn't bother me. I'll call myself a Pollock dicked ho. Big deal...

Honeslty.. they went too far.. He should apologize and thats it. Its not worth his job.

Freedom of speech doesn't exist. There's consequences and punishments to everything you say. If not direct, indirect. Like in this case he was directly suspended, but indirectly lost his job due to loss of sponsors. C'est la vie.

Posted by Rhea

Well, he did have the freedom to say whatever he wanted. Anyone does. If you decide to say something racist on national television, you can say it; however, you will still have to deal with the consequences.

Right, but the point of "freedom of speech" is to guarantee the right to speak your mind without fear of consequence.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;566684]Yes it was. That's the whole point. "Nappy hair" is ****** hair.
Not necessarily. I've heard the term "nappy-headed" used for anyone with messy hair. It's generally a pretty acceptable term, unlike the "n" word. Maybe it's because the basketball team was mostly black, but the word "hoes" seemed more offensive than anything, and it's obviously not race-exclusive.

Posted by KoH

Pure bull****. Iris is 100% right regarding the term "nappy-headed." Anyone with unkept and generally ****ed up hair could be called "nappy-headed."

Imus should not have been fired, ESPECIALLY since he publicly apologized directly to those he offended. He didn't even do that cowardly horse**** apology where he says, "If I offended anyone, I apologize." He apologized like a man and for dealing with the situation like a man he gets fired.

Come on, though. Imus was the first shock jock ever, or at least one of the first (I think he was the first though). It should be no surprise that some things he says might be... well... shocking. It wasn't a direct insult based on race towards the basketball team, it was simply a comment. Personally, I would never apologize for saying something like that.

What makes it worse is that he was fired days before he was scheduled to do a charity something or other that would donate all the money made, which would have been in the millions, towards cancer research. Good ****ing game.

Posted by veritas

well as long as the black people win thats all they care about.

Posted by Iris

Wow, that's certainly not at all close-minded, because obviously all black people wanted him hanged for such foul language.

An entire race isn't to blame for blowing this out of proportion, it's the media, which isn't all angry black folk but rather various types of reporters and televangelists.

Posted by veritas

Well why didnt reporters get inan outrage 30 years ago when he was saying worse things.

Posted by KoH

Know what's funny?

http://break.com/index/double_standard.html

As the comment made on the video asks: Where was Al Sharpton when this was said?

Quoted post: Not necessarily. I've heard the term "nappy-headed" used for anyone with messy hair. It's generally a pretty acceptable term, unlike the "n" word. Maybe it's because the basketball team was mostly black, but the word "hoes" seemed more offensive than anything, and it's obviously not race-exclusive.

No... it's definitely a term directly related to black people. However it's used now, that's what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_hair

Quoted post: Pure bull****. Iris is 100% right regarding the term "nappy-headed." Anyone with unkept and generally ****ed up hair could be called "nappy-headed."

It's a certain kind of hair, which, yeah, anyone can have. But it's black hair. If you think he meant it any other way, wow.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;567058]It's a certain kind of hair, which, yeah, anyone can have. But it's black hair. If you think he meant it any other way, wow.

Point being: It was the lamest, or at least weakest, "racial slur" that's ever been made into a national debate about. You can also tell from the context he said it that it was more of a barely thought-out comment than anything else. More like a conversational slip that turned out to ruin your career and life.

I still think the entire matter was horribly exaggerated and Imus should not have apologized for doing his job (being a shock jock, that is).

Yeah, obviously. I'm not arguing that. She just said it wasn't racist, which, technically, it is.

Posted by Iris

The word's more bastardized now. There's plenty of slurs that have became acceptable and generalized.

All right, you believe whatever you want.

Posted by KoH

This reminds me of Clerks 2.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qpGdxQ0o3l4

Posted by junior senior

I'm gonna miss hearing the words "Imus in the Morning" every morning when I walk out the door. :(

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Junior Senior: I'm gonna miss hearing the words "Imus in the Morning" every morning when I walk out the door. :(

Me too...followed by Sports Radio 66...The Fan! WFAN New York. You will be missed by me Imus.

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Right, but the point of "freedom of speech" is to guarantee the right to speak your mind without fear of consequence.

I'm missing the part where "without fear of consequences" - which means the government can't silence you - extends to having some special "private companies can't fire you" privileges which don't exist normally.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I think firing him was a bit extreme, but that Sharpton dude makes anything pivited against someone black and making it into a racial issue. He needs to seriously die.

But whats done is done, and I personally don't care, I never listened to the guy but after that remark, I would start listening to him after his suspension. But dang it. Idiots had to fire him.

Posted by veritas

It might acutally turn out to be a good thing for him in the long run. A lot of people didnt even know he existed until this. If he goes back on radio, hes gonna have alot more listeners

Quoted post: I'm missing the part where "without fear of consequences" - which means the government can't silence you - extends to having some special "private companies can't fire you" privileges which don't exist normally.

How is being fired not a consequence?

Posted by Fate

I'm called "nigga" pretty much every day by a hispanic coworker of mine. Generalized? Yeah.

Although I do think of black folk when I hear the word "nappy", I know it's not racially specific anymore. The thing that bothers me is that he really couldn't have meant it because he added "hoes" to the end of it, which makes it sound more like a spontaneous exclamation.

Posted by Arwon

V: Because that's not the govenrment silencing him. Freedom of speech laws are there to prevent the government from silencing people, nothing in the principle of freedom of speech says a private company must continue to pay a dude to talk and be heard on air, if they don't like what he's saying and think it will harm their business. He can say whatever he wants, he just can't do it and expect exemption from an at-will employment contract.

Ah, learn something new everyday I guess.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have been refered to as nappy. By a black peson.

Its generalized by now.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Arwon;567276]V: Because that's not the govenrment silencing him. Freedom of speech laws are there to prevent the government from silencing people, nothing in the principle of freedom of speech says a private company must continue to pay a dude to talk and be heard on air, if they don't like what he's saying and think it will harm their business. He can say whatever he wants, he just can't do it and expect exemption from an at-will employment contract.

It's true. It's not a government issue and never was. The corporations who sponsored his show pulled the plug, and therefore are the ones to blame as well as the network for going with the sponsors and firing Imus due to pressure.

This isn't a freedom of speech thing, it's more like just sheer bull****.

Posted by Arwon

Quite.

Talk radio is pretty much a buffet of a**holes by definition, singling one dude out for saying something horribly offensive is a bit ridiculous and inconsistant.