Xasthur

Posted by Omni

Okay, so I really like what I've heard so far. I've got Nocturnal Depression, To Violate The Oblivious, Telepathic With The Deceased, and Subliminal Genocide, as well as a few other songs. If I had to pick a single favorite song, "The Prison Of Mirrors" would be my choice.

What's the next thing I should get by him? He seems to have a pretty good amount of material.

Posted by Dreadnought

Get his splits with Angra Mainyu and Acid Enema.

My favorite song is "Blood from the Roots of the Forest".

Also, I now own the "Twilight" album. If anyone wants it, email me and I'll megaupload it because I probably won't be checking this thread.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Xasthur's ok, just don't go crazy over him. Nothing's more annoying than shit like that. I mean, look at Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree here at vgc.

If you want a good Xasthur cd, check out the A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors demo. It's my favorite of Malefic's works outside of Sunn O))). The split with Nortt is also quite good, as is Nortt in general.

If you're looking for similar material, Nyktalgia is pretty much untouchable in this genre. Also, Mutiilation's Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul is essential. If you want even "odder" black metal, I'd go so far as getting into some LLN, Brenoritvrezorkre or Mo

Posted by Omni

Quoting Shin-Ra: Xasthur's ok, just don't go crazy over him. Nothing's more annoying than shit like that. I mean, look at Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree here at vgc.

Somehow I doubt that Xasthur will ever be even half as popular as either of those two bands here at VGC. Plus, I'm not gonna go all "LOL XASTHUR PWNZ EVERY0N3 GAIS!" like Shade does with Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree. I'm just interested in getting a few more albums from him.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The Funeral of Being. And all the splits. His best work is on some of the splits.

But yeah, check out Nyktalgia. The best the genre has to offer. But there's only one release at the moment. That, or Leviathan. The latter's more closer to the Xasthur sound and has an extensive library that's really quite great. Also, Anti's another good choice.

Posted by Omni

The thing I like the most about his music is the way the guitar sounds. Are these similar in sound to that?

No... not really. That's something unique to the way malefic records his music. Though Anti probably gets the closest.

Posted by Omni

Oh, because I really like that a lot. Still, if you want to upload any of that other stuff, go for it. Or more of his stuff. Whatever you feel like doing would be awesome, since you know pretty much everything about the genre.

I'll upload Nyktalgia, then Anti.

Posted by fates warning

I have one xasthur album on my mp3 player but the quality is sooo bad it wont even play past 2 minutes. mind sending me some songs on aim phm? or upload =)

Quoted post: I have one xasthur album on my mp3 player but the quality is sooo bad it wont even play past 2 minutes. mind sending me some songs on aim phm? or upload =)

Upload thread. There's at least two albums in there. Spoilers: the quality is still bad. LOL BLACK METAL

Posted by fates warning

yeah I got that one thats a page or two back. Unfortunately my zen gives a "playback error" after about 30 seconds to a minute. Got access to decent quality?

Posted by Omni

The quality sucks. LOL, black metal. Only fancy stuff like Sigh has decent production. I can still AIM send you some stuff if you really want it. I'm gonna get Funeral For A Being tonight.

Quoted post: Got access to decent quality?

Those are decent quality. Most are at, if not above, 192. That's just the way the music sounds. If you want black metal that doesn't sound like that, listen to Shining, Deathspell, new Watain, and so on. Better yet, don't listen to it at all. Problem solved.

Quoted post: I'm gonna get Funeral For A Being tonight.

The Funeral of Being*

Posted by Omni

Ha, I'm convinced I'm losing my eyesight lately. I can't seem to spell properly or anything.

Posted by fates warning

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Those are decent quality. Most are at, if not above, 192. That's just the way the music sounds. If you want black metal that doesn't sound like that, listen to Shining, Deathspell, new Watain, and so on. Better yet, don't listen to it at all. Problem solved.

its not that the sound quality has to be perfect, but it kind of defeats the purpose if it wont play in my mp3 player eh?

Posted by Grave Wisdom

I have all of Xasthur's albums,and a few demos. All of his material is of a fairly consistent quality, so anything you get shouldn't let you down.

Posted by fates warning

yeah, I just wish it wouldnt **** up every time I tried and play it on my mp3 player =(

Are you talking about the ones I uploaded? If so, it's something on your end. Try downloading them again.

Posted by fates warning

I have nocturnal poisoning, uploaded by grave wisdom. It ****s up after about a minute. I tried playing it through my computer and it still ****s up.

The ones you uploaded seem to work great though. thank you for those.

Posted by Omni

I have Nocturnal Poisoning that I got from Soulseek. I'll AIM send you next time I see you online.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

PHM: actually, get me your Nocturnal Poisoning also. I had a better rip on my old comp, but sadly...that's dead :(

Posted by Omni

Fine, fine... I'll probably just upload it later.