Halo 3 beta closer than we think?

Posted by Creedence

Members of bungie have been seen in a private game titled "Pimps At Sea" testing the Halo 3 Beta. The Pimps at Sea was an old april fools joke bungie did a long time ago that never died down.

Anybody else think its cool? They're testing it. Its probably coming along nicely. In the meentime we must sit impatiently and play other games though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

This is like, five months old. No joke. Also, the beta is supposed to be released late spring. Wish is late May. So yeah, I guess it is closer than you think.

Posted by Creedence

**** it, I just checked the date of the magazine. The one they sent me was old. Anyway, delete this thread for me someone. I still dont know how. Sorry for the Mixup.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Late May? Gives me plenty of time to save-up for Crackdown.

Wonder if they'll still offer the beta on crackdown discs around then... I heard it was only the first couple shipments. So you might be screwed lol.

Or maybe I can just send you my disc and see if that works.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Army Chick? No Halo 3 Beta? Madness. ;_;

WHAT HATH *** WROUGHT

Posted by misogenie

I bought the British magazine from the bookshop last week. The magazine came together with the demo DVD containing three Halo 3 videos plus Mass Effect - another fantastic galactic battle game. Also a walkthrough book for Lost Planet and Rainbow Six Vegas. The package is worth under $Aus 17.00
The thick gear design worn by alien warriors in Halo 3 seem rocket-proof.

Posted by cool gamer dad

360 VS PS3 Xbox 360 mag oh ***

Posted by inequity

Does anyone know if you'll be able to play the beta (using the crackdown disc) on more than one console? Will I be able to bring it over to some friend's houses when it starts, or does it only work on mine.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I don't care whether or not I get into the Halo 3 beta, all I know is I'm back on DSL and I love it.:)

AGH! PEOPLE! SKITZO IS BACK!

Posted by cool gamer dad

SKITZO IS BACK LOL

sweet dude, let's play some gamez

Posted by Skitzo Control

Dude, I suck at Halo 2.:(

Posted by cool gamer dad

One day it will all come back to you. Now that you have live again, and you're in Cali, we should do some ****ty local LAN tournaments sometime.

Quoted post: Dude, I suck at Halo 2.

Me too! Let's suck together.

Posted by cool gamer dad

That'd be pretty cool, but Phil still has to get a mic.

Posted by Skitzo Control

There are none anywhere in Red Bluff! I called Gamestop, Wal-Mart... well, that's all we have, but, still, I can't find one!

oh yeah, new video up.

Posted by Drewboy64

So is the only way to get the beta (besides signing up and getting chosen, which you cant do any more) buying Crackdown?

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah, if you don't have connections.

Head over to a video store you never go to and rent the disc there by tonight or tomorrow. Then never return it so you don't have to pay for the late fees. Cause I guarantee, a lot of people are going to rent Crackdown in the next few days.

Posted by muffla

from what i hearits coming out this wends day at 5 am (eastern time) can anybody confirm this ?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just so I'm clear, all I have to do when the beta is released is download it? I already have Crackdown, just wondering if I have to fill out any registrations, or whatever.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I think in the main menu I think there's a "Download Halo 3 Beta" selection. If it's not there, it's not the beta Crackdown.

But yeah, just DL.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I have a grey'd out option in Crackdown's 'download' section that says 'HALO 3 BETA'.

Guess that means I'm in?

Posted by cool gamer dad

yes

Quoted post: I think in the main menu I think there's a "Download Halo 3 Beta" selection. If it's not there, it's not the beta Crackdown.

But yeah, just DL.

Except that might not be true. It seems they all have the option to download it, some will just stay disabled while others won't. You need to have had a marked copy with the card inside.

Quoted post: from what i hearits coming out this wends day at 5 am (eastern time) can anybody confirm this ?

http://www.bungie.net/ Work the math out.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I also have the sticker on the cover that says 'INCLUDES AN INVITATION TO THE HALO 3 BETA'.

I'm going to assume for now that I get to play me some Gaylo 3.

Yeah, pretty much.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I'd love to see the look on some poor halo-crazed kid's face when he finds out he can't download the beta.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Stinger;578153]I'd love to see the look on some poor halo-crazed kid's face when he finds out he can't download the beta.

[IMG]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070514.jpg[/IMG]

ALL HALO FANS ARE JOCKS

RIGHT

No, they're all 12, black, and really loud.

Posted by muffla

You must spread more rep around before giving it to vamprio v empire again

omg i think that was the best thing you ever said

I've said better.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/788/788731p1.html

September 25th is the official release date.

Posted by clearlytheman

I am more pumped that september 25th is the now confirmed release date

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

ugh. i guess it just came out.

but my download won't become available =/.

someone wanna help me out?

There's problems on Bungie's end with the crackdown thing. You're just going to have to wait it out it seems.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: There's problems on Bungie's end with the crackdown thing. You're just going to have to wait it out it seems.

thats homosexual =/

think everything will be sorted out soon?

like in an hour or two? haha

Doubt it. It hasn't been sorted out yet and it was supposed to come out at 8 AM EST. Probably be up a lot later tonight or tomorrow.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Doubt it. It hasn't been sorted out yet and it was supposed to come out at 8 AM EST. Probably be up a lot later tonight or tomorrow.

ah. that sucks. giant dick.

I was all pumped up this morning. got on. and looked for the download but it never appeared. Then I was like whatever ill wait until later today. I come home and its still not available. gah.

Posted by muffla

can i still download and play this if i have a silvermembership? if it matters i bought crackdown. btw i hate the people who olny bought crackdown for the beta, i bought it for the game, the beta is just extra for me.

It's multiplayer only... you need gold to play games online.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Out yet? People on 4chan have it, with pics, etc.

Posted by cool gamer dad

oh wow, no beta for Army Chick I guess. Kinda' crept up on me. Actually, I never planned on buying Crackdown, and once I figured out you have to play it via Crackdown disk, I forgot about it. I can still steal it, but I don't care enough to do it.

Oh, and not many blacks play Halo fyi, H2 players are jocks. Seriously, if you were in High School when H2 came out, you'd be laughing, like, laughing your intestines out kinda' like a cat that has some kind of disorder where they laugh their intestines out or something. But cats don't laugh, but maybe they do we just don't know it or something. There's a lot we don't know about the mind of an animal. They all have different minds but w/e. If a cat could laugh, it'd probably be some kind of eye signal, like when they squint their eyes at you and you're like wtf is that supposed to mean, but then you think that maybe they're squinting because the sun but then you realize the sun isn't in their eyes and then you're all wow. But unless we can discover some way to probe the thought process of a feline, we may never know just what they are thinking when they squint their eyes.

yeah, it's out. Normally a gig takes about ten minutes for me... and it's like twenty and I'm only at 13%. Wow.

Oh wow. Stinger, remember how Live was really slow to update? Well, this is freezing every few seconds or just going incredibly slow. And that's just the menus. The download itself is crawling and if it's not crawling it just locks up. Christ these kids want the beta bad.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'M PLAYING IT

It feels like Halo 2, but a bit faster and with that neat rifle from the first game. Overall meeeeeeehrrrrr.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I only have one three-word question:
WHERE'S MY PISTOL?

NOT IN THE BETA

and I like how it only took five minutes to download it when I just tried now. Neat. But now I kinda don't want to play it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's good fun, trying out the Spartan Laser (which incidentally reminds me a lot of the Hammer of Dawn) and the Mongoose. The rest of the new guns are poor, and it's a shame there's only three maps.

Also, Needler and Covenant Carbine, my two favourite guns, have recieved massive damage boosts. Needler's a twohander now, though.

I like how it still looks duel-wieldable. They should make it look more like an assault riffle or something.

Posted by s0ul

When I try to play it, it says "Game Over" and tells me it's either currently unavailable or closed. Then it tells me to buy Shadowrun. What the ****?

Posted by Skitzo Control

Looks like Bungie has released something akin to a Mac product!

Quoted post: When I try to play it, it says "Game Over" and tells me it's either currently unavailable or closed. Then it tells me to buy Shadowrun. What the ****?

Go to the Bungie forums, they have a work-around there I think.

Anywho, turns out I'm quite a bit better at this game than I am Halo 2. Huh.

Posted by Axis

I think it's pretty fun, I'm liking it better than Halo 2 so far.

Posted by s0ul

3 > 2 <1

Yeah, got the fix and played a few games. There was only one guy I played who wasn't terrible. Army Chick, get your *** in this thing. :mad:

Posted by cool gamer dad

Yeah, maybe I can rent it this weekend. idk

Turns out Vamp is pretty beastly at H2 oh jeez. But who isn't?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;579094]
Anywho, turns out I'm quite a bit better at this game than I am Halo 2. Huh.

Same here - I'd only ever played Halo 2 in local multiplayer, and I was coming second and first in a lot of matches. Huh.

Posted by ElroyJetson

After playing GoW for so long, playing the beta made me realize how terrible i am at it again. Going to have to get a lot of work in.

Posted by Fate

It looks like Halo 2 with more stuff to do. Cool, but might get old after a little bit.

Posted by Dexter

Call of Duty 4 > Halo 3

Although both get. I'll probably like this Halo the best, by far. I'm curious as to whether or not it's going to beat any sells records or not.

Posted by ElroyJetson

Are any of the frequent GoW players having difficultly getting used to the controls for this again...or is it just me?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=ElroyJetson;579418]Are any of the frequent GoW players having difficultly getting used to the controls for this again...or is it just me?

Sort of... I keep expecting X to be reload, etc - the old Halo controls. But GoW has ****ed up every shooting game I play now to the point where I anticipate an active reload bar any time I reload my gun in any game.

[quote=Dexter;579412]Call of Duty 4 > Halo 3

Although both get. I'll probably like this Halo the best, by far. I'm curious as to whether or not it's going to beat any sells records or not.

Call of Duty 4 looks a lot like Battlefield 2. Like a lot! It's probably won't stand out.

Quoted post: Turns out Vamp is pretty beastly at H2 oh jeez. But who isn't?

lol what was my highest score, 6? Nah.

But yeah, so far I haven't placed lower than second place. So I'm going to assume all the kids who got into the beta suck.

Quoted post: Are any of the frequent GoW players having difficultly getting used to the controls for this again...or is it just me?

Nah, I went from playing Rainbow to Gears to Halo 2 to Halo 3 last night without any problems. Then again, I frequently switch between Rainbow, Gears and Crackdown. So whatevs.

Posted by ElroyJetson

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: lol what was my highest score, 6? Nah.

But yeah, so far I haven't placed lower than second place. So I'm going to assume all the kids who got into the beta suck.

Nah, I went from playing Rainbow to Gears to Halo 2 to Halo 3 last night without any problems. Then again, I frequently switch between Rainbow, Gears and Crackdown. So whatevs.

Yeah I played again last night and was much better. Seems just took me a round to get the hang of it.

Posted by Creedence

This didn't die? Wow, a stupid thread made by me cuz a magazine mixup.

Oh well.

Also The X, I think CoD4 will be pretty great cuz it is going to be handled by the people who made CoD2 and not Activision which made Finest Hour and 3

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I have been playing the beta for a few days, and Im already bored of it. Just 3 maps doing the same thing over and over. They should of added 2 or 3 more maps, atleast the variety would be a sminch greater.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

K, so all those stories I kept hearing last generation about rabid twelve year old Halo players were not hearsay or exaggeration.

Today on I was playing Team Slayer on Valhalla, 4v4. Myself and two other players were riding around in a Warthog, generally just having ****s and giggles driving around the map trying to knock people down and such. Various lulz were had, as we watched each other getting sniped from the turret post, etc. Then the kid on our team, who wasn't dicking around, started hysterically yelling that we were gonna get 'pooned' and that we were 'retarded gorillas' and other ****ty insults. In the end his voice started to crack and I think he was seriously upset that he was the only one running around playing Halo 3 as serious business.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting The X: K, so all those stories I kept hearing last generation about rabid twelve year old Halo players were not hearsay or exaggeration.

Today on I was playing Team Slayer on Valhalla, 4v4. Myself and two other players were riding around in a Warthog, generally just having ****s and giggles driving around the map trying to knock people down and such. Various lulz were had, as we watched each other getting sniped from the turret post, etc. Then the kid on our team, who wasn't dicking around, started hysterically yelling that we were gonna get 'pooned' and that we were 'retarded gorillas' and other ****ty insults. In the end his voice started to crack and I think he was seriously upset that he was the only one running around playing Halo 3 as serious business.

I hate those ****ing petri dishes.

Quoted post: Then the kid on our team, who wasn't dicking around, started hysterically yelling that we were gonna get 'pooned' and that we were 'retarded gorillas' and other ****ty insults.

that's why they made it really easy to mute people now :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I wasn't really bothered by him, I was just surprised that such people actually existed. I always presumed it was exaggeration on part of the interwebs.

Oh *** no. This is actually pretty common. Hell, you'd be surprised at how many people sing throughout an entire match. But the best is when you play something like Rainbow Six and guys really get into it and start using military lingo and ****. Hilarious.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Which reminds me, I haven't busted out Rainbow Six yet. Gaining nine 360 games in seven days was a bad move.:(

I'm taking a break from it. I played that game so **** much for five or six months straight.

Anywho, you, wings and myself need to play some gaylo games together. Seriously.

Posted by s0ul

thx 4 inviting me

I didn't even know you had it until Stinger was all "lol soul sucks at gaylo 3." So, THANKS FOR INVITING ME, MAN.

Okay, so X, Wings, Soul and myself. Yeah. All we need now is for X to stay up past 3 PM EST.

Posted by s0ul

I SUCKS AT GAYLO 3?! WTF HE SAID THAT SRSLY????

Dude I kick ***. I got 22 kills in this team slayer match and my team still lost, that's how awesome I am.

Yeah, it seems like my average is around twenty or somethin'.

Though, maybe he said you suck at halo 2. That's would make more sense.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Vampy, Inchy, Army Chick and I rocked the Matchmaking hard, tonight.

Man, I bet I'd have more confidence in my gaylo abilities if I didn't do a bunch of ffa with your and stinger. :(

Posted by ElroyJetson

Worst experience i had with the Youth of XBL was playing halo 3 the other night on a team with with 2 british teens (couldn't have been older than 14) with their thick cockney accents and such. It was terrible, they were way too into it whereas I was just screwing around. Nothing like being called a wanker 8-9 times by someone 10 years younger than you.

British people are usually the coolest to play with, mainly because they're nice and considerate. But like everything there's exceptions... excepts it's worse because of the accents and the ****ty lingo.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;581232]British people are usually the coolest to play with, mainly because they're nice and considerate. But like everything there's exceptions... excepts it's worse because of the accents and the ****ty lingo.
I ****ing love the polite English accent of Wings. I feel so safe. <3

Oh *** me too.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Aww. :-x

I went back into H2 earlier and it cocked me up. I was turning invisible when I wanted to change grenade types, and everything. And then like an hour alter I went back into the beta and was dropping power drainers when I wanted to reload. >.<

EDIT: HOLY CHRIST. They just added BTB to the beta. And Banshees in Valhalla.
We're throwing down hardcore tonight, guys.

Posted by cool gamer dad

No, I said that Soul is really good at Halo 2, but sucks at Halo CE in comparison.

And yes, we did rock Hardcore up. Hard.

Oh, whatever. I hear what I want to hear.

Anywho, I like how I'm better with the sniper in H3 than I am in H2... yet the sniper is slower and has a ton less aim assist. HMMM

I hate how the rocket launcher still has aim assist. If I aim at the ground I don't want the rocket to latch onto the enemy and whizz past them, ****it.

I can't do **** with that thing. I just don't bother with the rocket launcher, especially since the spartan laser is soooo much better. But yeah, BTB kinda sucks since the maps are a tad too small. And Valhalla doesn't come up enough :(

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Stinger: No, I said that Soul is really good at Halo 2, but sucks at Halo CE in comparison.

And yes, we did rock Hardcore up. Hard.

we never played Halo 1 together, did we?

Mexican'ts aren't good at games, so I'll have to trust Stinger on this one.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting s0ul: we never played Halo 1 together, did we?

We did, but it didn't decide much, because it was on John's connection, lag, etc. There's just no way you're nearly as good at CE as you are at H2, because if you were you'd take a vicious poop on Phil every time you played 1v1.

edit: be on tonight, 4v4 team hardcore: Vamp, Juan, Skitzo, and Army Chick. And Ian if he wants to play H2. :(

Posted by s0ul

yeah Skitzo could own me off-host 1.5 thousand miles away. :(

He's not that great.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: British people are usually the coolest to play with, mainly because they're nice and considerate. But like everything there's exceptions... excepts it's worse because of the accents and the ****ty lingo.

I always get the ******* ******* Brits who hate Americans. But some are nice, but still the majority I get are *******s

Posted by ElroyJetson

Spartan laser is really the only way I can continue to play the beta. I suck with the rockets...I was pretty good a timing it in 2, but the aim assist seems to throw me off in 3.

Posted by cool gamer dad

It can't be that bad. Is it really that bad?

There's a slight curve. You want to experience it, play a game of Rockets on High Ground, and try to fire a rocket at someone downhill of you by anticipating where they'll land.

If your target is close to your crosshair, the rocket won't fire toward your crosshair. It'll be slightly off, aiming for the target. And of course they'll fall past, into the area you wanted the rocket to go, but the rocket won't be there. It'll sail happily off into the distance and harmlessly hit a rock.

But Elroy's talking ****. It worked exactly the same in 2.

It's not that bad, but it's noticeable. You could aim at the ground, but it will try and compensate just even to bring it up past a ridge, causing it to fly off into the background.

ninja'd

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting WILLETH FOR MONTHS: There's a slight curve. You want to experience it, play a game of Rockets on High Ground, and try to fire a rocket at someone downhill of you by anticipating where they'll land.

If your target is close to your crosshair, the rocket won't fire toward your crosshair. It'll be slightly off, aiming for the target. And of course they'll fall past, into the area you wanted the rocket to go, but the rocket won't be there. It'll sail happily off into the distance and harmlessly hit a rock.

Yeah, how can you suck with a H2-like rocket?

oh jeez, vamps a beast btw wow

I do awwight if it's not a ****ing ffa with you and skitzo. The latter of which sucks, but still that's beside the point.

Posted by cool gamer dad

yeah right you're just garbage

Posted by s0ul

spoilers: rockets aren't worse at all

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

When does the Beta end? I still can't get my 360 NAT to change to open, so I'm having a hard time playing anything apart from matchmaking, which kinda sucks. :(

Posted by cool gamer dad

Maybe he just sucks. I'm working on a theory that people that can't kill with rockets suck at Halo. It may be speculation, but I think it'll go places once I modify a few variables.

edit: cat'd

I can't use rockets. I don't know what it is, but I can't.

Quoted post: spoilers: rockets aren't worse at all

Slower with same magnetism = worse. More time for the rocket to be drawn towards the target.

Quoted post: When does the Beta end? I still can't get my 360 NAT to change to open, so I'm having a hard time playing anything apart from matchmaking, which kinda sucks

Just get a new router, disable the routers firewall, etc, etc. There's quite a few "out-of-the-box" xbox compatible routers out there for pretty cheap. And the beta ends on the tenth.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:

Slower with same magnetism = worse. More time for the rocket to be drawn towards the target.

Sorry, but Army Chick's theory is understandable at a 6th grade math level and it better supported in logic and argument. I support him.

Oh, without a doubt he's correct. I mean how could anyone who likes cats so much ever be wrong? But that's only part of it. Rockets are actually "worse" in Halo 3 than Halo 2. Which can either be a good thing or bad depending.

Posted by ElroyJetson

Quoting WILLETH FOR MONTHS: There's a slight curve. You want to experience it, play a game of Rockets on High Ground, and try to fire a rocket at someone downhill of you by anticipating where they'll land.

I definitely didn't use the rockets enough in 2, I hated playing rockets. Maybe it's just a figment of my imagination.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=s0ul;581373]yeah Skitzo could own me off-host 1.5 thousand miles away. :(It wasn't that bad. After we hadn't played H1 for a really long time, you hosted and beat me two or three times, like 15-13 and such. Although, for some reason, I don't recall ever losing a Wizard game, but that's because I was a Power Ranger. Our H1 games were epic, except on Rat Race. Rat Race owned us in spawns...

Oh, and remember, it was 1331 miles away.;)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;582033]Just get a new router, disable the routers firewall, etc, etc. There's quite a few "out-of-the-box" xbox compatible routers out there for pretty cheap. And the beta ends on the tenth.

I am not buying a

120 bucks? I said cheap dude. I know electronics are a ***** over there, but I wouldn't expect anything over 20 pounds. Hell, I have a ****ty MS router I got for free, can't host for **** (doesn't help I live in Canada) but it runs smooth. So don't buy quality, that doesn't really matter, just by one that's compatible.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Electronics are way, way expensive out here in the UK, especially Scotland. PS3 over here is

The wireless router I have was

Oh, wireless... that's still expensive but I was thinking about wired which would've saved a bit of cash. Sucks to be you guys.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I pretty much need a wireless one. Wii, DS, laptops, etc. are all connecting to it almost daily.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/05/30/h3-custom-spartans-a-chopper-and-more-confirmed/

Some pretty cool new info. Oh, and you can fully customize your spartan. As in completely new armor sets and helmets.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A x2-sized Zanzibar sounds great. It was always slightly cramped, considering how epic it was.

**** last resort, NEW ARMORZ **** YEAH!!!!

well, old armor and **** from the books... but **** YEAH!!!!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I cannot contain my excitement any longer.

I KNOW EH?

but seriously, when I was first reading about this the person described the radar jammer like a disc ball blinding the person. Needless to say, I'm disappointed.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I just like the bubble shield. In team Slayer, my teammates all used theirs in tandem and created a giant bubble. Kicked ***.

Posted by PunkRock Sonic

I played the beta and it lags alot

No it doesn't. I've only run into one game of lag.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Never lagged with me. Ever.

And you live in the UK. So PunkRock must have a terrible connection. Like, dial-up terrible.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

PUNK ROCKERS DISAPPROVE OF LIGHT-BASED TELECOMMUNICATION :mad:

Only 6/7 more days of the beta, right? I need to get playing.

Customs with friends are the only thing worth playing now. Fun as hell.

Better images of the new stuff:

[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/6/6f/Halo_3_Customization_2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/evildude_93/Halo3Customization.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/evildude_93/Halo_3_Vehicles.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Creedence

The Brute Chopper looks prety cool. Then again, so does everything.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Custom Spartans looks pretty cool. I always wondered about the other Spartan guys in Halo 1/2.