Wii Blaster, gun peripheral...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/05/wii-blaster-incoming/

I hope they haven't changed much from that original picture. That thing looks cool. Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a couple of them. I'm going to see if I can pre-order them right away!

Posted by Dexter

Quoted post: these first-person shooters just don't feel natural with a Wiimote

Compared with a regular control, the Wiimote functions fairly well with FPS games. You have a fine trigger and motion-aiming. I like it. Not that it's going to stop me from getting a Blaster. Should work wonderfully. Wish I had it sooner for games like Medal of Honor and Rayman.

Posted by RandomizeR

That looks cool

Posted by Dexter

There doesn't look to be a trigger on the Blaster itself, which means we still simply use the Wiimote trigger? And that's the same design we saw back in 2006, right? It doesn't look different.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Compared with a regular control, the Wiimote functions fairly well with FPS games. You have a fine trigger and motion-aiming. I like it. Not that it's going to stop me from getting a Blaster. Should work wonderfully. Wish I had it sooner for games like Medal of Honor and Rayman.

Now the Wii just needs a decent FPS.

Posted by Dexter

Which will probably not happen this year. :(

Metroid probably, though not fully an FPS. Which doesn't speak well for the year I guess.

I think the trigger on the mock-up shown in that picture probably only extends the B-trigger on the Wiimote itself. Why waste the silicon on a new circuit board when a simple mechanical device will suffice, after all?

Heh. Personally, I just want to play the shooting mini-game on Wii Play with one of these, but hopefully Nintendo will make it function with Virtual Console versions of all the classic Zapper and Super Scope games. Darnit. Now I gotta find my copy of Blastris and hook up my Super Scope again.

Posted by muffla

i agree with yoiu prince this would be sweet with wii play.

i cant wait to get one of these

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Now the Wii just needs a decent FPS.

Red Steel was decent.

Posted by nintendokid

i want the wii the wii looks so cool

Quoted post: Red Steel was decent.

Hahaha, sure thing, buddy.

I agree with Bebop. Red Steel was a decent game. Not great, not really inspired in any way, but it functioned in every way that it was supposed to. The Wii doesn't need any more FPS's like it, though. The Wii needs a phenomenal FPS. I happen to think the Metroid Prime series falls into that category, myself, but perhaps something new will come along to silence the naysayers.

On a slightly different front, I'm hoping Sega will bring a House of the Dead collection our way.

Quoted post: but it functioned in every way that it was supposed to.

So it was supposed to function poorly? Huh, okay. Seriously, the controls were subpar and a really poor example of what FPSs can be capable of on the Wii.

Posted by Crazy K

It makes me want to get a Wii more, even though I plan on getting one anyways.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: the controls were subpar

How so?

It aimed where I wanted it to aimed. Turned when I wanted it to. How were they subpar? For a launch game Red Steel is a good example of how FPS can work on Wii. A simple taster if you will even if the overall game was nothing special. If average FPS games work well enough on Wii than I have alot of faith in the genre on Wii.

Go read the red steel thread that was made back when it was released.

Posted by Proto Man

Wait, what about the Wii Medal of Honor game?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Go read the red steel thread that was made back when it was released.

The thread where people we saying "lol omgzog its teh worst game ever!!"/!" when in actual fact its not as bad as people say?

Posted by Vbty3

Wii Medal of Honor is aight..

Quoted post: The thread where people we saying "lol omgzog its teh worst game ever!!"/!" when in actual fact its not as bad as people say?

whatever I said in there. It's easier for you to just read it than us argue about it.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Proto Man: Wait, what about the Wii Medal of Honor game?

It's better than Red Steel, and better than Far Cry, but not as better as Call of Duty 3. Medal of Honor has the best FPS multiplayer on the Wii though. It's way too short. I think I beat the entire game in a little over 4 hours, while Call of Duty 3 took me about 8 or 9.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: whatever I said in there. It's easier for you to just read it than us argue about it.

You mean when you said it's difficult turning when it's actually not? Oh yeh that one. Good read.

Yeah, remember when I said it was never actually difficult, but horribly slow and janky? Yeah.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dexter: It's better than Red Steel, and better than Far Cry, but not as better as Call of Duty 3. Medal of Honor has the best FPS multiplayer on the Wii though. It's way too short. I think I beat the entire game in a little over 4 hours, while Call of Duty 3 took me about 8 or 9.

Well that's the only reason I liked Medal of Honor series anyways, the multiplayer. A Wii gun peripheral would complement it nicely. I can't wait to see what the final product will be. I am not sure I would want it to be what we saw at E3 though.

Posted by Dexter

I doubt I'd even use the Blaster much. Maybe to check it out here and there, and with two use it for multiplayer, but I have a feeling I'm going to go back to the simplicity of the Wiimote. Maybe not, we'll see...

And Vampy is right about the Red Steel turning. It's much easier and more realistic in Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, remember when I said it was never actually difficult, but horribly slow and janky? Yeah.

Was that the same I played it for myself and its not like that at all? It may not be as slick as Call fo Duty 3 but Ive never experienced it to be as problematic as everyone says it is. Seriously Ive tried to turn to get the result people are describing and frankly you have to be doing it on purpose to get it to turn like that.

Posted by Dexter

What? No way. It's way slow. Try playing the multiplayer mode. Freakin' frustrating. It's almost enough to turn people away from the Wiimote forevermore. It should have been like Call of Duty 3. And not only that, the game itself was bad. Bad plot, awful voice-acting, and dull levels.

Posted by Bebop

Never played the multi mode. I can barely get through the single without getting bored. That said you have to admit when there was stuff to shoot it was entertaining if only on the most basic level.

Posted by Dexter

It would have been more enjoyable if aiming was made easier. Shooting the enemies should be the best feeling part of the game, but instead it was made such a hassle. I did make it through the entire game though.

Quoted post: Was that the same I played it for myself and its not like that at all? It may not be as slick as Call fo Duty 3 but Ive never experienced it to be as problematic as everyone says it is. Seriously Ive tried to turn to get the result people are describing and frankly you have to be doing it on purpose to get it to turn like that.

It takes three seconds to turn. I'm going to assuming you've never played an FPS before if you don't think that's slow.

Posted by Bebop

Didnt take that long for me.

Then you have a special copy. Oooh, lucky duck, you.

Posted by Proto Man

If you didn't see this, a company named Joytech is coming out with the [URL="http://www.joytech.net/1/products/wii/12/131/Sharp-Shooter.htm"]Sharp Shooter[/URL]. Looks interesting.

It also seems that they are doing the same thing Nyko is with the charging station for Wii-motes. Good to see!

Posted by Dexter

I actually like that one more.

I might pick up one of each. Use the heavier one in my left hand. Unless one of them is less comfortable in my hand than the other.