I THOUGHT I recognized the tune...

Posted by Proto Man

So my friend had this song on his ringtone that began with the lyrics "Take a Look at my Girlfriend, she's the only one I got". Then it went into some kind of rap. Well I said to him, that sounded like an older song. He said "no, that it had come out recently. I thought it was odd, because I KNEW I heard the beginning lines before, but the song I had heard sounded different from this one. So I looked it up, and it turns out the song I heard on his phone was "Cupid's Chokehold", but the ORIGINAL song (the one I heard before on the radio) that the beginning was from was "Breakfast in America" by Supertramp in 1979! I think the latter song is better by far, I never was a big fan of rap/hiphop. I thought that was kinda interesting though.

Posted by Omni

"Cat's In The Cradle" by Harry Chapin, a song recorded in a 1974, was partially reused in a rap song by DMC featuring Sarah McLachlan. It's weird how they do things like that. I can't think of any other occurrences in specific where this has happened, though.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: "Cat's In The Cradle" by Harry Chapin, a song recorded in a 1974, was partially reused in a rap song by DMC featuring Sarah McLachlan. It's weird how they do things like that. I can't think of any other occurrences in specific where this has happened, though.

Run-DMC had Steven Tyler and Joe Perry as guest vocals in the '86 version of "Walk this Way." Although, that was a cover.

Also, Gwen Stefani used parts of "The Lonely Goatherd" (from Sound of Music) in "Wind It Up"

Posted by Omni

Song titles are in quotation marks and album titles are in italics. Stop doing it wrong. :mad:

Posted by Proto Man

Sorry, I didn't know. I fixed it.

Posted by fates warning

oh yeah, i pointed this out to the youtube community, and was flamed instantly.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, that would be Gym Class Heroes. How you couldn't identify a Supertramp song, though, is beyond me. Especially one of their most famous.

Posted by Omni

SPOILERS: Proto Man has an extensive history of not recognizing popular songs from many years ago despite claiming to be a devout classic rock fan.

This thread is now closed so that only the cool kids can post here.