lol slave trade

Posted by Bebop

My friend says it's stupid to expect leaders of today to apologise for the slave trade when they aren't actually related to it in anyway and that saying sorry now won't have any effect on the actions committed in the past.

I say it's important to acknowledge the mistakes of mankind for the stake of the progression of world peace, and you can say sorry for something without being responsible for it.

This of course comes from the celebration of the end of the slave trade that has occurred recently.

Discuss. :chainsaw:

Posted by bazariah

whats the point of appologising?

our generation, our fathers generation, our fathers fathers generation did nothin wrong, so why?

the slave trade was abolished how many years ago?

descendants of those slaves sometimes get a monetary settlment to compensate them for their "hardships" what hardships are they suffering from?

the resultant argumant here would be they suffer from racism.. white on black racism is less than black on black racism these days... and just they other day i was called a honkey cracker from two black guys i've never met, seen or spoke to in my life

sorry to say this but a lot of black people (not all) just have a chip on their shoulder, and you can appologise to them ten times a day and it wouldnt make a difference cos they allways want more cos they feel hard done by

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: My friend says it's stupid to expect leaders of today to apologise for the slave trade when they aren't actually related to it in anyway and that saying sorry now won't have any effect on the actions committed in the past.

I say it's important to acknowledge the mistakes of mankind for the stake of the progression of world peace, and you can say sorry for something without being responsible for it.

This of course comes from the celebration of the end of the slave trade that has occurred recently.

Discuss. :chainsaw:

I'll be honest, I won't apologize to someone for something I didn't do. It was not my doing, it was not in my lifetime. I don't really care who the **** you are, I did nothing wrong to you and won't bow my head. I know of it, I won't repeat such an atrocity, but that's the end of what our focus should be on. Sure, a COUNTRY has to do it, but I'm not a country and I don't align myself with any country as representation of myself. Thus, I couldn't give a ****.

Posted by Omni

I have nothing to do with the people who enslaved the blacks during the colonial times. My family is Italian, and we came to America in the 1920's. Now, if the Jews complained that my ancestors enslaved their ancestors thousands of years ago during the days of the Roman Empire, I'd have to apologize. On second thought, **** those kikes.

Posted by Zeta

I wouldn't apologize or pay reparations for something my ancestors did to someone else's. It's just stupid imo. =/

Posted by Bebop

Perhpas we should forget about the haloucast and remove Auchswitchs as a place of historical value? I mean, its nothing to do with us right?

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: Perhpas we should forget about the haloucast and remove Auchswitchs as a place of historical value? I mean, its nothing to do with us right?

This != Logic.

Learn the past or you are doomed to repeat it. However, apologizing for something you had absolutely no relation to is ludicrous. You can make a scape goat of whoever you like, as if it means something, but unless you can make Hitler personally apologize to all those who he directly and indirectly slaughtered, it doesn't truly make a difference besides the fact that people would use it to decieve themselves into security.

"But I'm more than just a little curious, how you're planning to make ammends to the dead."

Posted by Bebop

Seems a bit dumb to not care about the slave trade when we had nothing to do about it when the haolocuast its always remembered is all I meant. Bit of a contradciton isnt it?

Again, you can appoligize for something if you arent responsible for. Considering all those involved with the slave trade are dead its quite logical that the next of kin say sorry for it wouldnt you say? If the dead arent going to say sorry the closet thing to the accused could do it for them.

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: Seems a bit dumb to not care about the slave trade when we had nothing to do about it when the haolocuast its always remembered is all I meant.

Again, you can appoligize for something if you arent responsible for. Considering all those involved with the slave trade are dead its logical that the next of kind say sorry for it wouldnt you say? If the dead arent going to say sorry the cloest thing to the accused could do it for them.

I believe I'm responsible for no one's sins but my own. It's not my fault my father is a crazed *******, or my mother is a crack-fiend. I live by my standards, and I'm not responsible for them. Blood is by no means thicker than water. We should not inherit debt.

Posted by Bebop

Your father is Asterix?

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: Your father is Asterix?

Multiple asterixs, buddy.

Posted by Omni

More like multiple asterisks. These symbols demand you pay reparations and apologize for mispelling them. That's a typographical slur.

Anyway, I believe it's important we remember the past and the mistakes humanity has made, but it's not our duty to apologize for something our ancestors may have done to someone else's ancestors. We're not the ones who did it, are we?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Lunairetic: Multiple asterixs, buddy.

Joke get :rock:

Posted by Lord of Spam

One can admit that there were heinous mistakes made in the past, and express deep regret that it happened without giving a personal apology.

end thread.

Posted by mis0

[QUOTE=Bebop;560806]Seems a bit dumb to not care about the slave trade when we had nothing to do about it when the haolocuast its always remembered is all I meant. Bit of a contradciton isnt it?
It really is. The difference is that our respective countries were the "liberators" in the holocaust, not the enslavers, and we'd much rather pat ourselves on the back.

Personally, as I'm nearly 100% sure that my ancestors had nothing to do with either one of the two events, I'd rather not be made out to be some terrible nazi-slave owner descendant who forever should feel shame about what people who were alive before me did. If they wanna hear that, then they can do hunt down the children of those who did their ancestors wrong and make them say it.

Posted by Bebop

Our countries were also the liberators of the slave trade too, which is stupid cos we were the ones who started it too. :)

Besides I never really thought the Holoaucasut was remembered as something the Allies eventually stopped but remembered for it being the worst crime against the Jewish peoople.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

world peace... lol.

Apologizing to ****** families isn't progress towards world peace, it's just a huge ****ing waste of time.

Posted by Fate

I don't offer a personal apology, just a general one. I feel sympathy for them, not pity. I really am sorry that something like the Holocaust happened.

Posted by Auto Rock

Exactly who would I be apologizing to? I did nothing, they went through nothing. Yes, I am regretful that people had to go through that and I would apologize to them but I don't see many black people getting whipped on the streets or farms anymore.

Posted by The Judge

Personally, if I was at home and there was a knock at the door and BOOM, there's some black dude at my door saying "Your great great great great grandfather owned my great great great great grandfather as a slave and I want reparations," I'd say "Then go get money from him," and slam the door in his face.

Of course, I don't have to worry about this, because my Great grandfather was a Jewish immigrant from Russia, and thus my family has never owned slaves.

Apparently mine has, lol.

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Apparently mine has, lol.

Same, but I'm not apologizing

Slavery is the best thing that has ever happened to black people!

yeah, they wouldn't be where they are today without it. Too bad :(

Posted by Omni

If they're really so upset about whites enslaving them and taking them to other countries, they should go back to Africa.