lol Metal Gear Solid

Posted by maian

So, I finally played it. My friend introduced me, and I played through Twin Snakes. I've just started MGS2, and find the series to be quite good.

DISCUSS

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Really? It's good? No ****.

Posted by KoH

Snake Eater is my favorite. I like them all I just... really like Snake Eater, lol.

Yeah, MGS3 is easily the best. It took awhile to get started, but oh *** when it did...

Posted by maian

What is MGS4 about? I already know most of the plots of 2 and 3, and I know 3's a prequel, etc. I'm rather uninformed about 4, though.

Basically, it takes place 6 years after MGS2. Proxy battles are taking place, thus the need for private military corporations (mercenaries), though it turns out the five main PMCs are all owned by the same company Outer Heaven which has amassed more (or equal idk) money than the US from the high demands for its PMCs. Using said money and power they plan to launch insurgencies. Enter Solid Snake and the middle-east.

That's the basics anyways.

Posted by Fate

Welcome to the world of MGS. Keep your blood protected.

Posted by Bebop

Good games. If anyone tells you that they are better than good they are idiots. Easily one of the most overrated series of all time but unlike say Halo its actually enjoyable at a basic level. Its just a shame they are so short.

Also, stop using the goomba icon. It ****s up on my computer, either displaying it as a massive image of something completely unrelated, or just simply "goomba."

Posted by maian

I'll do it for you just this once, vampy.

Wai, if it takes place six years after, why is Snake all old, and everyone else not? :(

Posted by Fate

Play through all of MGS2 and then ask.

Oh, and just to let you know, MGS3 is fully aware that Raiden is not Snake, Raiden is very popular with the Japanese girls, and also that Raiden was quite possibly gay in another life.

Posted by maian

I don't really mind Raiden, for now. Snake is most definitely better, but the change is interesting. I just met Snake, er, Pliskis.

Posted by Bebop

I actually preffer Raiden to Snake. Snake doesnt actually have any charcter except for "OMG HES TEH BEST SOLDIER LOL" cliche bollocks. Raiden has girl troubles. You wont get that on the OC. Plus, Raiden does a cool side sick barrell roll.

Posted by Fate

[COLOR=skyblue]lol, Snake is made of recessive genes. Stop commenting on the game, plz.

Speedy - Genes don't matter, didn't you play MGS2?
[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

I can't get into these games. The only thing that kept me entertained was Psycho Mantis.

Also, [*****ing about how there's 20x more cutscenes than gameplay. Interactive movie, not a game, etc].

EDIT: Wait, scratch my first statement; I can't get into any of them excluding the GBC one.

Posted by maian

Twin Snakes was chock full of cut-scenes, but I didn't mind so much. It was really developed. Playing through MGS2, it has about the same amount, but it's also a lot more fast paced and more gameplay. Can't wait to play Snake Eater. :cookie:

Quoted post: I don't really mind Raiden, for now. Snake is most definitely better, but the change is interesting. I just met Snake, er, Pliskis.

He's really only annoying because back in the day we bought an MGS game to play Snake, not someone else. Hell, barely anyone even knew Raiden existed. It was made worse by how ****ing annoying Rose became.

Posted by Fate

[quote=Speedy][COLOR=skyblue]Genes don't matter, didn't you play MGS2?
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=skyblue]Don't alter my posts you massive faggot. Your idiot brother made a mockery of what he thinks Snake is, in which he really isn't if you played the series.

Speedy - But I don't want to post and I can't rep you!
[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Fate;559552][COLOR=skyblue]lol, Snake is made of recessive genes. Stop commenting on the game, plz.

Irrelevant, cock tease. Snake can be as imbred as he wants but that doesnt shy away from the fact hes character is as hollow as Raptors heart.

Posted by Fate

You say that as if that's the only personality trait he focuses on. His bit isn't being the strongest soldier or the best, it's about being a soldier period. He can't be the best soldier because he is made of recessive genes.

Seriously, just shut up.

Posted by maian

I dunno. Snake isn't that cliche. He's pretty cliche, but I like him. Unlike characters like Cloud or Sephiroth, he's one that I like regardless. Besides, he's not completely bland and cliche. I love a lot of his lines, and he's just a ghood character, in my opinion.

I'd be upset if the whole game was Snakeless, but I don't really mind since Snake's there most of the game beside you. Raiden isn't that bad, anyway. Now, if Snake was just dead or something, that'd be lame.

Posted by Bebop

And this proves Solid Snake isnt a hollow character how exactly? Thats all he is in the most limited basic form: a soldier whether its "its teh best ssaoldier" or simply "lol a solider". It's pretentious at best and certainly unoriginal. Omg. Back away Shakesphere here come some deep character development! Solid Snake has always been an empty souless character whos won the hearts of gamers for *** know what reasons. It doesnt take much to say "my character is the best soldier ever lol" but at lease Kojima had some balls to present Raiden, who arguably has more substance than 10 x Snake and frankly if you deny that you should refrain yourself from commenting on character whatsoever. You can't for a second argue that Snake as a character is more worthy than Raiden when Snake has never had any characeter credibilty whatsoever. No matter how cool he is. Mullet and all.

Posted by Fate

Any fan of the MGS series knows Raiden is a fag, both in character an design. Even Kojima knows this. I like Raiden but he's totally not Snake.

You suck.

Seriously, his character was meant for 13 year-old japanese girls. No one else.

Posted by Bebop

He may have been eye candy but he still has more substance than Snake. It's always been beyond me what the big appeal of Solid Snake really is. He's like one of Stephen Segals characters (and I use that word lightly) from one of his straight to DVD run of the mill action films.

More substance? Oh good ***. I'm just going to assume from now on you've never actually played a MGS game.

Posted by Bebop

He does. Raiden has girl troubles. The most deep thing about Snake is...wait, there isnt. Hes hollow. Empty. Crap.

Yeah, definitely haven't played any of the games, at least not the first one. Anywho, Raiden's a joke to even the creators.

Posted by maian

lol beat MGS2

I liked it, but it had nothing on the first. I can't say I was fond of the villains, either. Was it just me, or were Fortune, Fat Man, Vamp (lol) and Solidus totally lame? Solidus wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for his ridiculous suit.

Anyway, it was a good game, but pretty weird from Arsenal Gear on. I didn't like the whole "lol guess what Patriots control anything and everything and set up everything you've done and Shadow Moses lol". Oh well. We'll see how MGS4 goes. And I'm confused about something. How about some MGS fan clears this up for me? :( What the crap was up with Colonal and Rose in MGS2? Were they fake the whole time, or what? Raiden meets Rose at the end. Did she know anything happened? ;|

Anyway, just started on Snake Eater. :cookie: Just landed on the Snake Eater mission.

And Raiden is pretty lame.

Posted by Slade

The fact that Snake isn't open about his past is part of his character. And all the babes back at the station want to get into his pants, but he's not interested. He just kind of puts up with their ****(whether it be proverbs or movie reviews) but really doesn't care at all. That's all part of his character. I think you just prefer more open characters to ones who are always shoved in the spotlight, but prefer to lie low anyways.

One thing I noticed was that in MGS1 and 3, during the beginning when you have a cutscene every five seconds to tell you how to do stuff, I was always like "oh well they just have to include this, I guess..." But in MGS2 I just wanted Raiden to stop being such a ****ing noob.

lol bias

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, definitely haven't played any of the games, at least not the first one. Anywho, Raiden's a joke to even the creators.

I love it when the people who arent shy revealing their love of Solid Snake cant actually give any example of what makes him so great. Reminds me of the emo kids who say "lol MCR is so deep I cant explain you just have to listen."

Posted by maian

Half of my love for him is his voice. He has such badical lines.

For ****'s sake. This would be a lot easier if you've actually played the games. The fact that he isn't open about his past and comes off as "just a soldier whose only purpose is to do his job," though seemingly caring for individuals, even enemies (like Sniper Wolf) while in conflicts with past allies/family members and all the cutscenes shared between them, and the codec segments which reveal quite a bit about his character, etc etc, are what makes him a great character. His not being deep plus everything above is kind of what gives him substance. Seriously, stop talking about games you've never played like you've played them before.

Posted by Bebop

I have played the games Vamp so dont act as if I havent because I havent fallen in love with this over hyped man as much as you have numbnuts.
I never said he was a crap character because he doesnt talk about his past either. Next youll be telling me Dante is 'cool'. Christ.

nah, you haven't played them.

And Dante isn't that great.

Posted by Bebop

In before Vamp saying "OMG WHY ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT OPINION I NEVER DO THAT OLOOL". I hope in Metal Gear 4 they actually do something worthwhile with him. To be honest after Snake Eater Im more concerned about the game actually being good come to think about it.

It isn't opinion. Snake is just cool. It's a fact.

Posted by Bebop

Ha ha for a second there I thought you were being serious. One good thing to look forward to about MGS4 is that Snake finally dies.

Posted by Fate

Quoting maian: lol beat MGS2

I liked it, but it had nothing on the first. I can't say I was fond of the villains, either. Was it just me, or were Fortune, Fat Man, Vamp (lol) and Solidus totally lame? Solidus wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for his ridiculous suit.

Anyway, it was a good game, but pretty weird from Arsenal Gear on. I didn't like the whole "lol guess what Patriots control anything and everything and set up everything you've done and Shadow Moses lol". Oh well. We'll see how MGS4 goes. And I'm confused about something. How about some MGS fan clears this up for me? :( What the crap was up with Colonal and Rose in MGS2? Were they fake the whole time, or what? Raiden meets Rose at the end. Did she know anything happened? ;|

Anyway, just started on Snake Eater. :cookie: Just landed on the Snake Eater mission.

And Raiden is pretty lame.

I think the sci-fi maybemaybenot powers of Fortune were pretty cool. Fatman was lame but isn't he also the first boss? Also, I don't think you'd find the Solidus suit so lame if you had a badical figurine of him. <3333

Colonel was not Colonel from MGS. MGS2 Colonel was a digital projection. When you got into Arsenal, Rose was also a digital projection. Rose was real but she was working for the Patriots. She pretty much abandoned the Patriots after the mission-- or so we're led to believe.

Posted by KoH

Yes, but Raiden is pretty lame.

Posted by Fate

maian: You know, when I first started the series I started off with Solid. I was so confused on who the hell everyone was that I decided to do extensive reading on websites and such about stories. Wiki seems to be your best bet if you really want to know what's going on. I had to read like six different websites on the theories of MGS2 'cause that one totally caught me off guard. :(

Posted by Slade

Plus, you're a girl.

I can't decide which game's bosses I liked most. At the time, I remember thinking "wtf" about MGS3's bosses, but looking back, most of those battles were really cool. And I think MGS2's cutscenes were what made the bosses more badass to me, because none of the battles were all that spectacular. Pretty much every cutscene Vamp was in rocked hard. Fortune was ugly as hell, but the scene where she causes Vamp to get shot brought her up a notch.

That's it. I'm starting a new game on MGS2 tonight, and I'm getting Twin Snakes as soon as possible.

Posted by maian

Yeah, I was going to do some reading. MGS2 was confusing. :( So, Rose was real up until Arsenal Gear? If she was working with the Patriots, did they make her work with Colonel's projection? ;|

Another note: Snake Eater is awesome. I'm about to go to the uh, cave right now to get somewhere. I'm not that far in, but I'm loving it. I thought I wouldn't like the constant watch of stamina (what with eating animals and curing yourself, etc), and the lack of a radar, but it's an entirely new experience, and I'm liking the story.

I liked the bosses in MGS1. Sniper Wolf and Psycho Mantis were awesome, and Vulcan Raven was uh, kind of cool. His last words were good. I didn't like the bosses in MGS2 though. =/ Like I said, Fatman was lame, and you didn't even have a real fight with anyone else. The "boss fights" in MGS2 were just confrontations. Not to mention Vamp disappears from the game after the encounter with Emma. I couldn't make myself like Fortune, just because she looked retarded. :( Not only was she really ugly, her outfit, tanblonde combo, and massive railgun kinda couldn't make me think she was cool. She had a good character, but her image was too horrible for me to think of her as a good villain and/or character. >_>

Posted by Fate

We don't know if Rose knew Colonel was a projection or not. Whatever the case, she was assigned as a spy who just ended up falling in love with her target.

Dead Cell < FOXHOUND.

Fortune was black.
:o

Posted by maian

She didn't look or seem black, to me, but I did think they were going for that nonetheless. :( Nonetheless, she could've been cool had she not had such a lame image!

Posted by Fate

She also could've been a ******. I like Fortune Japanesed. :(

Posted by maian

lol <3 MGS3

I got a headshot on The End, and blew up everything on the mountain. I disposed of the remaining people with my shotgun. Not being sneaky is certainly better than being sneaky.

Heh, the End was a brilliant boss battle.

Posted by Fate

In my opinion, the best boss battle of all time.

Posted by maian

Heh, I got lucky. But I can't deny it was an awesome battle. In the first 10 minutes or so, I got a good shot on him and took about one fourth of his health. I wandered around for a good 30 to 45 minutes without any hits. Anytime I got close, he'd flash grenade me. The last time he did, I was able to see him well enough to follow. About three grenades later, his AI crapped out, and he hid in a bush and peaked over a cliff even though he just grenaded me. Needless to say, I got a perfect headshot and ended it. :cookie:

Anyway, beat MGS3, and decided MGS4 would be the only game worth buying a PS3 for. :(

Posted by Fate

Looks like you're playing it a bit fast. If you want to get the real ridiculousness of MGS, you need to use the Codec/radio things.

Perfect example: Equip the Patriot and then call Sigint. ****ing BOL.

Posted by maian

No, I went through plenty of those. :) Never skipped a cutscene, and listened to every codec. And yeah, I codec'd a lot for no reason.

Quoted post: In my opinion, the best boss battle of all time.

I'll have to agree. It's at least the most memorable.

Also, random codecs are win in just about any MGS game.

Posted by Fate

I beat him in different ways once I got the hang of it. I used those sensor mines in every snipe spot I knew. I sniped him honestly one time. My first playthrough I just ran after him and shot wildly. Another time I went crazy and equipped everything I could and ended up finding that little bird and ate it so the old man couldn't snipe me. I also tried that two-week codec save and he really did just die waiting for me. Him dying the cheap way didn't feel like a victory. :(

The codec conversations at the end don't help either. Also, shooting him in the face before you even meet him in the boss encounter. That was a lame victory :(

Posted by Fate

I tried that out of curiosity and was like WTF JUST HAPPENED.

Apparently The End was KojiPro's favorite battle. They put the most time into it.

Pretty much a perfect example of what makes MGS such an awesome series.

Posted by maian

I ate the bird, too. :-* Probably didn't help me much though, because I wanted him to snipe me because I wanted to know where he freakin' was. :(

lol I Codec'd Sigint with the Patriot. "The barrel is shaped in an infinity sign" "Yep, that'll do it!"

EDIT: By the way, I've watched the MGS4 TGS '06 trailer a few times, and they make it pretty obvious Snake is gonna die. It says "Every legend must die", then it shows a guy in a black suit sneaking around. He takes off his mask, and it's yet another version of young Solid Snake/Big Boss. WHO IS THIS MAN?!

Posted by Fate

THAT'S WHAT MAKES THE WAIT SO UNBEARABLE AAAAAAAA

While I think Snake's rapid aging will get the best of him. FoxDie could also play a part.

Posted by maian

I didn't notice it was a new (or current, or whatever) Snake at first, until I noticed it uh, was. New clone? =O

Posted by Fate

One of the ideas Snake tries to push about Big Boss is that even if his genes carry on, his ideas won't. If there is a new Snake, it won't be the Snake we know now. Kojima is very worried about stuff like that.

Posted by maian

Wait, what do you mean? I assume it won't be a Snake we know, but do you mean in ideals, or what?

Posted by Fate

Memory. It was pushed at the end of MGS2, I think. The only thing that goes on after you die is pretty much what you choose to go on. The stories you choose to tell, stuff like that.

Posted by maian

Oh, well yeah. This looks like a whole new Snake in general, though, so I'm counting on a new kind of character from him.