ICO

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've heard good things about this game, for the most part, but I don't see it around any longer. I can still buy it online if I wanted to, though. I was just curious if anyone else here had played it, and their thoughts concerning the game. Is it worth looking for?

Posted by Xenos

From what I've heard of it, it's rather short and consist of puzzles, if this "ICO" is the same one, the story isn't that impressive either from what I've read. Boy saves girl issue--but I've never really played it myself, so I'm not a really reliable source.

Play Terranigma first. :mad:

Posted by posem_diest

I actually picked up ICO a couple of days ago and am playing through it now. I wouldn't classify it as an rpg at all. Oh sure, you might very well play the role of a little snot trapped in some fortress somewhere, but that is where all similarities end. It's more of a puzzle game, with you dragging some ball and chain along as you try to escape the fortress. But your path is not unhindered, as you'll have to do all sorts of climbing and jumping and swinging on chains to get to where you want to go.

There is a combat aspect to this game, but it's more like an afterthought as you have to beat off the CZERNOBOG err shadow demons that want to make off with your woman. Of course, at the point I am in the game, these shadow demons take like twenty whacks with the little stick to ruin their day. Thing is, they'll be trying to ruin YOUR day as well, but I don't think you can die from their attacks as all they do is knock you to the ground and run off with that princess thing. And if they do manage to make off with her, then there is YOUR game over. Falling from extreme heights will also ruin your day.

And all the time you will be managing an awful camera. The camera isn't locked on to your character or point of view. Rather, the game takes place in pre rendered environments like the playstation Final Fantasies, and the right analog stick just scrolls the screen, to the point where your character isn't even any longer visible. It is a very disattached, heartless view, and personally, I hate it like all get out.

I would classify this game as a puzzle game, if anything, as the real meat of the game lies in progressing throughout the fortress. Exploration is very limited, at least so far into the game, and it seems to be a very formulaic room to room to ramparts to room progression. There's also no health meters or magic meters or any meters at all, which means no upgrades to relieve the tedium of progressing throughout the fortress. And as progressing through the fortress is all you can do, it seems to me to be a very bare bones game.

Hope I've been descriptive enough.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Heh, oh yes. Thanks for the little review. EB classifies it as an RPG so I made the thread here, but I thought it was more of a puzzle/action game. Anyhow, thanks for the insight.

And I will play Terranigma. >_< Eventually...

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

Oh, how I miss ICO. Totally ignored by the majority of the public, unfortunately. They should make a true sequel and not this Wanda and the Colossus stuff. However, the Wanda game DOES look good.

Posted by Slade

I am actually very excited about Wanda and the Colossus... And ICO is a very enjoyable game to me. There have been a few parts that I just sat there slack-jawed because of some unbelievable things that scrawny little runt on my TV just did. Acrobatic feats of amazingness....that's how I'd describe it. It is defining its own style, for sure, and I find it very entertaining.
I picked it up at Game Crazy for $8 :D

Posted by Inferno

I started playing ICO earlier this year but I never beat it. From what I did see though, it was a very enjoyable game and the puzzles were what made the game interesting for me. It is very unique to me at least also which made the game fun and appealing. But I played it when a bunch of new games were coming out so I never finished it.