ripoffs

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

http://ytmnd.com/users/zh666/

I'm blown away. I didn't acknowledge the COB-IF: CLayman ripoff, OR the Tool ripoff of Iron Maiden. I feel so used :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Some of them are **** close, others not at all. Most can easily be chalked up to pure coincidence.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Iiiiii dunno. I think you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

I listened to a handful of them and some, idk, just didn't seem all that close. Some I heard where just standard riffs and intros.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

for the most blatant, look at the Europe vs Ozzy Ozzborne one. Wylde ripped that solo off in every sense

Haha, oh wow. Yeah, that's a definite rip-off.

But yeah, I think my favourite is Darkthrone and Metallica. Just because it's funny to think about the latter ripping off the former

Posted by Shade

I dunno. The Darkthrone had such bad sound quality that I just couldn't hear it.

The Boston vs. Nirvana one was close, though. So was the Tool vs. Dream Theater.

Posted by Omni

Nirvana's song "Come As You Are" uses the same chords as "Eighties" by Killing Joke, but way slowed down. Listen to that. Apparently, they wanted to sue Kurt Cobain, but Dave Grohl agreed to play drums on one of their albums.

Also, "Hate To Feel" by Alice In Chains features a riff that is a rip-off of "Dazed And Confused" by Led Zeppelin. Layne Staley, who wrote the part, admitted it.

Quoted post: I dunno. The Darkthrone had such bad sound quality that I just couldn't hear it.

It's funny because I barely even notice it anymore. I actually love the sound of low quality music like that.

Posted by Shade

All I could hear was "zxzxzxhzxhxzhzhxhzhxhzxhzhxhzhxhhzxhzhxhhzx"

You're deaf then. It's horrible quality, no doubt, but you can easily hear the music. Or maybe I'm just terribly used to it... idk anymore.

Posted by Gollum

Wow, listen to #9, Kreator vs. Exodus. It's exactly the same!

Posted by Kit

The Iron Maiden v Papa Roach sounds pretty similar, but the Iron Maiden version one is a bit faster. Very good find.

Quoted post: but the Iron Maiden version one is a bit faster. Very good find.

most are sped up or slowed down from the sounds of it. Sly.

Posted by Omni

The Led Zeppelin "Kashmir" versus Rage Against The Machine "Wake Up" one was also pretty accurate.

Posted by G-Sides

haha, but there's no way that's a ripoff, considering in wake up, one guitar is hammering on the same power chord over and over while another just strums fast between two notes, as opposed to kashmir's different style :s

Posted by zh666

I posted a bunch more today, and a ton more since this thread was made. Out of the most recent ones, I personally like the Beatles / Sublime one (77), Budgie / RHCP (76), anything that Green Day steals from, and the Dictators / KISS (64) which could almost merge into Danzig / STP (74).

If you know anymore, I'll research and post them if they're decent enough...

Best one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l8AvaQjq5ys

Posted by Omni

Holy crap. I hate SoaD even more now.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Someone should do an edit to splice the chorus riff from Incubus' "Megalomaniac", vs the verse riff from Soft Cell's (or Marilyn Manson's) "Tainted Love". I noticed that one immediately.

Posted by Klarth

I think I'll put a few up once I get round to cropping/editing the tracks, but here is one which really catches my ear:

In Flames - "Clay Man" (2000)
Dark Tranquillity - "The Treason Wall" (2002)

The keyboard riff in "The Treason Wall" is almost identical to the main guitar riff in the In Flames one.

Also, I *REALLY* hate to do this, but...

In Flames - "Swim" (2000)
Dream Theater - "In The Presence of Enemies Pt 1" (2007)

Listen to 00:12 - 00:25 in "Swim" and 00:04 - 00:20 in the DT song.

Quoted post: In Flames - "Clay Man" (2000)
Dark Tranquillity - "The Treason Wall" (2002)

The keyboard riff in "The Treason Wall" is almost identical to the main guitar riff in the In Flames one.

This really wouldn't surprise me. Though I'd like to hear it for sure.