Jury Duty

Posted by Omni

Okay, so basically they want me to serve in jury duty for a week in April. I already sent my excusal form, because I don't have a car, a driver's license, public transportation, or anyone who can give me a ride for a whole week. I live in Clermont and the courthouse is all the way in Tavares, so a cab would cost me way too much money, too.

I'm assuming they don't actually pay attention to where you live when they request you for jury duty, because that's ****ing stupid. Has anyone else ever had to put up with this bull****?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Didn't we just have this thread?

I'm fairly sure they'll pay your journey fees.

Posted by Proto Man

Yes they will pay them....

BUT HOW DO YOU GET JURY DUTY? I want it so baaaad!!!!!!!!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Didn't we just have this thread?

I thought the same thing, but it was on another forum, and the guy wanted excuses on how to get out of it. Coincidence? Yes.

Posted by Omni

That's just it, I don't want to go. Also, the clerk I talked to on the phone said I could get out of it since I don't have a ride or public transportation, and I plan to. I already submitted my excusal form. She was adamant that it would be sufficient.

The guy I was talking about apparently ended up using the excuse he was a racist. Good times.

Posted by mis0

as long as I wasn't doing anything important, I'd probably do my jury duty. It's not as if I do anything else valuable for the state. And it might be interesting, even.

Posted by Omni

You can go in my place, Miso. They'll never known the difference.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=WILLETH FOR MONTHS;554812]I'm fairly sure they'll pay your journey fees.
Yeah, 12 whole ****ing dollars a day.. big bucks if you're a complete moron.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;554840]I thought the same thing, but it was on another forum, and the guy wanted excuses on how to get out of it. Coincidence? Yes.
I've never had to serve Jury Duty *knocks on wood*.. I'd sooner go back into the military than sit in court all day, listening to some stupid testimonials ;about a guy raping animals at the zoo, or someone dodging his last 20 traffic tickets, etc..

Posted by Omni

Oh, I just figured I'd check back and let you all know that they excused me from the summons. I don't feel like wasting a week sitting in court listening to legal stuff.

Okay seriously, why doesn't anyone want to do jury duty? I think it'd be ****ing cool.

You're basically cut off from the world for however long it takes. On top of everything else.

Posted by darkwhispers

dude have you even heard the fact that jurors get murdered sometimes too

Posted by Omni

Yeah, in high profile cases that involve supercriminals and conspiracies. This was not a high profile case, I'd say.

The vast majority will be tedious, boring, uninteresting trials.

Posted by darkwhispers

oh the kind where you wish you were dead. okay then

Rather than the kind where you wish it was about someone dead.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting WILLETH FOR MONTHS: Okay seriously, why doesn't anyone want to do jury duty? I think it'd be ****ing cool.

Same. Everyone always treats it like a burdon. Your work place is forced to pay you during your absence and you could be jury for some juicy crime. Like a chuld rape murder thing or something. Or more than likely youd do a parking fine thing.

Posted by Omni

The catch is that you're not really allowed to even talk to anyone for a week for fear that you might divulge case information, which is something that was already explained in this thread. Also, not all employers will pay you for jury duty absence.

By law they have to I think, though it's amazing how many companies just don't give a ****.

You don't go on a jury for parking fines, what the hell?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: The catch is that you're not really allowed to even talk to anyone for a week for fear that you might divulge case information, which is something that was already explained in this thread. Also, not all employers will pay you for jury duty absence.

Friend: Tell me about the case.

Jurer: No.

OMG ITS SO SCARY AND BAD OMG

Wings, I was just using an example of a petty case youre more than likely have to face rather than something interesting.

Quoted post: Friend: Tell me about the case.

Jurer: No.

OMG ITS SO SCARY AND BAD OMG

They sequester the jurors so there's no outside influence. What you hear and debate about comes only from one source and everyone has heard the same thing. If you talk to a friend who has only heard about the case from you, or from TV, then they're going to not only have a different view, but one not fully developed because details have been left out or they missed crucial data. That person being your friend will hold influence over you and may change your decision, whether you realise it or not. So, your decision may be uninformed and thus jeopardized the outcome of the case.

Posted by Omni

In high profile cases, they might even make you stay somewhere and keep you from talking to people.

That's what 'sequester' means.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: They sequester the jurors so there's no outside influence. What you hear and debate about comes only from one source and everyone has heard the same thing. If you talk to a friend who has only heard about the case from you, or from TV, then they're going to not only have a different view, but one not fully developed because details have been left out or they missed crucial data. That person being your friend will hold influence over you and may change your decision, whether you realise it or not. So, your decision may be uninformed and thus jeopardized the outcome of the case.

Depends on the case. If a high profile case (like OJ) or where child rape is involved (see Micheral Jackson) than perhaps. But considering the chance of doing Jury duty on a case where anything about it is likely to meet the public eye is so small the possibilty of being influenced in such a way you just mentioned is largely impossible.

Posted by Omni

Quoting WILLETH FOR MONTHS: That's what 'sequester' means.

I was agreeing with him and simplifying it for people who don't know what the word means.

Quoted post: But considering the chance of doing Jury duty on a case where anything about it is likely to meet the public eye is so small the possibilty of being influenced in such a way you just mentioned is largely impossible.

Yet, you're still sequestered. Go figure.

Posted by Bebop

Yet the chance of having a bad sequester is so small its really not that a big deal. Go figure.

... a bad sequester? What the ****?

Posted by Bebop

Yes like when youre looked away in a hotel room with the same members of the Jury for 3 weeks. Thats bad. Thats sequesting. But whats the chance of you being sequested while on Jury? Practically nil so whing and saying "omg jury duty is bad cos you sequested" is retarded. Its really not that hard to understand.

It is if you don't explain it. Anywho, if you're being called into Jury duty, ten bucks says the trail is going to take more than a day.

Posted by Bebop

Obvioulsy but also irrelevant. Ill bet you 20 you dont get looked away in a cell like you seem to think you will.

When the hell did I say that? They just set you up in a hotel and don't allow you to make any outside calls or leave the area. The point is, you're still getting removed from your life for however long it takes, because it's important to the verdict to do so. Man, you're dumb.

Posted by Bebop

Locked away in a hotel room with limited if non existent communication with the outside world = cell. See what I did there?

Point stands dumbarse the chance of you actually having to go through that is so small. man you're dumb. People do jury duty everyday and still come home for dinner and watch Lost. Retard. Christ.

Lost Retard Christ sounds like an excellent take on an old classic.

Posted by Omni

Anyway, to reiterate, I got out of a week of jury duty because I informed them that I did not have easy transportation to the courthouse.

Posted by Bebop

I think Jury Duty will be fine. I really want to do it.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Hey PHM, if you do jury duty, then I'll do jury duty..

Posted by Omni

I don't know why, but that made me laugh so much.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Pretty Hate Machine;560562]I don't know why, but that made me laugh so much.

Edit: *knocks on wood* Seriously, I'll drive us, if we both case-get? Haha.. :cool:

Posted by Omni

Okay, it's a deal. Where can you pick me up?

Posted by Tyler Durden

Hell if I know, possibly Raleigh, NC. seeing as how I'm never handed jury duty. I might just land it in a court that's 65 minutes away..

Posted by PROF CHAOS

I've done it a couple times. It is no big deal. If you work for a good employer, they will pay you for the days you served. You just send a form, from the court house, proving you served.

Posted by Bebop

It's 'cos of the drugs.