Addictions

Posted by Fire

Hi, my name is Kieran and I am currently producing a documentary for BBC 3 on teenagers that are addicted/ obsessed with computer games. Im looking for more information and subjects that may be willing to participate. Ideally, I need a UK based teen that would be willing to speak about their problem and attempt to overcome it. The subject needs to be eat, sleep and breathe computer games: Perhaps you are a 15 year old that plays Warcraft for 18 hours a day, or maybe you are someone that gets angry when someone takes your computer or console away from you. Whatever the scenario, I want to hear from you.

Posted by Dexter

I think you'll find more people here who are addicted to my Internets (mostly VGC) than video games. I can't even think of any particular members who are truly addicted to video games. It's more part of their lifestyle.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Headline: VIDEO GAMES: The new crack cocaine? How to help your children help themselves

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I think a better headline would be: VIDEO GAMES: If your kids are addicted, thank *** it's to something at least partially worthwhile.

Healthy careers can be born from video game addictions. The same cannot be said for a great many other addictions.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, but it's the media.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Prince Shondronai;554150]careers can be born from video game addictions. The same cannot be said for a great many other addictions.

Remove the healthy, and you've got it.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

There's nothing unhealthy about owning a video arcade, selling video games, or being involved with the process of developing games. One could argue it's perfectly healthy to be a pro gamer, too.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

It's now possible to win large sums of money in pro tounaments. One kid won something like $15,000 for winning a FPS tournament as well as got a sponcership from the online company that held the tournaments, he's now a spokesman / posterchild.

Posted by Zeta

****, why aren't there any tourneys like that around Minnesota?

Posted by KoH

[quote=Fire;554106]Hi, my name is Kieran and I am currently producing a documentary for BBC 3 on teenagers that are addicted/ obsessed with computer games. Im looking for more information and subjects that may be willing to participate. Ideally, I need a UK based teen that would be willing to speak about their problem and attempt to overcome it. The subject needs to be eat, sleep and breathe computer games: Perhaps you are a 15 year old that plays Warcraft for 18 hours a day, or maybe you are someone that gets angry when someone takes your computer or console away from you. Whatever the scenario, I want to hear from you.

You're a ****ing idiot. You and your entire profession live to lie and exaggerate the truth to the public. You are the reason why so many people live in ignorance and fear. What the **** makes you think that anyone on this site will help you further your exploitations of the human mind with your blatant lies?

Play Warcraft for 18 hours a day? Get angry at someone when they take your computer or console away? You must be the stupidest **** alive. Even now your prove my point that all the media does is exaggerate stories and, basically, "make **** up."

Playing 18 hours a day continuously is near impossible, even for the most nerdish of us. And of ****ing course someone would get ****ed at you for taking their **** away. If I robbed you of your house, money, and all your worldy posessions, are you saying you wouldn't get mad?

To conclude, I'd like to say this:

**** off.

******* promoter of ignorance.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I used to be addicted to video games, but I managed to kick the habit thanks to my new best friend: pot!

Posted by Fire

Grow up KoH. I am a documentary maker prepared to present a balanced argument on the pros and cons of those who play games for long periods of time. The idea of the doc is to find out how teenagers become addicted and whether it can take over their lives. We are already featuring a 17 year old who is about to enrol on a clincal program designed to help those with addiction, to overcome their problem. Addiction isn't a nice thing and many of those who are addicted or know someone who is, have their lives turned upside down.

Posted by S

Quoting Fire: Grow up KoH. I am a documentary maker prepared to present a balanced argument on the pros and cons of those who play games for long periods of time. The idea of the doc is to find out how teenagers become addicted and whether it can take over their lives. We are already featuring a 17 year old who is about to enrol on a clincal program designed to help those with addiction, to overcome their problem. Addiction isn't a nice thing and many of those who are addicted or know someone who is, have their lives turned upside down.

[color=black]I'm going to go ahead and agree with KoH here. Your slant is already apparant, and although KoH went a bit over the top in stating his point, he's still pretty accurate.

[quote="Dictionary.com"]ad

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Lunairetic;555345][COLOR=black]
The only time this ever becomes a concern is when someone completely forsakes their life and their health. I'd wager 95% of all people that play 18 hours a day aren't even that far gone. They make ends meet, even the kids. And if they don't, in all likelyhood its because those same kids are taking advantage of their parents, which is a different issue in itself.[/COLOR]

NOBODY that plays 18 hours a day is going to "make ends meet", bud.

Posted by S

Quoting GameMiestro: NOBODY that plays 18 hours a day is going to "make ends meet", bud.

You'd be surprised how many play some of said games at work.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Fire: Grow up KoH. I am a documentary maker prepared to present a balanced argument on the pros and cons of those who play games for long periods of time.

If you want to get both sides of the argument, be sure you have a gamer and/or some kind of a professional on the subject give their opinions and experiences. Yeah, there are people who will destroy their own lives so they can play videogames, and those people are dumba[color=indigo]sses with no sense of reality. You need a part of your documentary to clarify that there are plenty of people who spend just about all of their free time gaming and still live happy, healthy lives; like it or not, the media gives a bad image of videogames to the non-gaming community, and that's not fair.

EDIT: This is meant as constructive critisizm. I'm giving a very serious opinion that I hope you'll consider, if you really are making a documentary of this sort.
[/color]