Humongous Entertainment deserves some credit

Posted by GameMiestro

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humongous_%28game_developer%29[/URL]

Are these kiddie games? Yes. Are they old as heck? Of course. However, for people like me who grew up on these games, they we're some of the most influential software ever. Even by today's standards, series like Putt Putt and Freddie Fish seem incredibly innovative- the very idea that EVERYTHING in the environment can interact with the player seems unimaginable, even in today's expensive console offerings. These games were fun in that they took the "no boundaries" approach to the limit- where as other games at the time (and many today still do) prevented you from making mistakes with invisible barriers or strategically placed walls, these games actually rewarded you for trying to find every nook and cranny hidden in the levels. Modern games like the Sims and Myst could really learn from them.

Am I saying they were superior to every other game out there at the time? No. What I am saying is that they get a lot less credit than they deserve, and their crazy game design had such an imprint on people like me that the first time I watched the movie Cars, my first thought was, "Hey, this is a lame copy of Putt Putt!"

JUST THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW.

Posted by Zeta

I played some Freddie Fish a year or two ago. >_>

Posted by veritas

Man they had some hot game titles

Posted by Ant

never played any of their games.

Posted by veritas

so you mean you never played checkers with putt putt and Fatty bear!!!!!!

Posted by GameMiestro

I didn't even know you could. I did do bowling, space invaders, and breakout with Putt Putt, so you might be thinking of something different.

Posted by veritas

i dont think I am. I remember he would point his antenna at the checker he wanted to move. I remember beating freddy fish. He pwned