sugest some books?

Posted by Red

okay so I'm going to some book depot place on thursday and I guess you fill up a whole box of books and it just costs 30$. so I was just wandering is there any books that you can sugest to me, I'm more into fictional stuff. any books that you think are good, sugest please :)

Posted by Xenos

Well, you are going to need to be more specific. Fantasy, noir, sci-fi ... etc.?

Posted by Red

a good fantasy book would be nice, also I'm a fan of books about people stranded on islands etc. I read "hatchet" and " the Cay" and I loved them. I also read the Darren Shan series (teenage half vampire etc.) and I loved them the most. from that what can you sugest? or should I get into more detail?

Posted by veritas

Theres this book called dr.Illuminatus by Martin Booth. Its about these 2 kids (Pip and Tim) who live in a mansion. They find this kid who lives in their house named sebastion who is the son of an alchemist. Then he tells a story about this guy who was his dad's enemy.Then they go on an adventure to stop him. Pretty good book. Theres a sequal called soul stealer that im reading now.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

What you like probably sucks. So instead, I'm going to list what I like.

# "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski because it will **** you up.
# Ear Swagger and Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter - apparently "Point of Impact" is being made into the movie "Shooter"
# "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Couple years in the future. It's about a virus that quickly spreads that kills and revives its victims. Tells the tale of the world civilizations being destroyed and rebuilt. It's written as in an interview style, or people integral to the war/random people experiencing horrific events retelling what they went through. Just awesome stuff really.
# "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. Kids kidnapped, taken to an island, and forced to kill each other in the name of a government program.
# "The Berkut" by Joseph Heywood. Russian elites on the pursuit of a Nazi SS who took Hitler into hiding after he faked his suicide.
# "Prey" by Micheal Crichton. Probably his best book. nuff said.

etc etc

Posted by Oforia

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: What you like probably sucks. So instead, I'm going to list what I like.

# "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski because it will **** you up.
# Ear Swagger and Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter - apparently "Point of Impact" is being made into the movie "Shooter"
# "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Couple years in the future. It's about a virus that quickly spreads that kills and revives its victims. Tells the tale of the world civilizations being destroyed and rebuilt. It's written as in an interview style, or people integral to the war/random people experiencing horrific events retelling what they went through. Just awesome stuff really.
# "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. Kids kidnapped, taken to an island, and forced to kill each other in the name of a government program.
# "The Berkut" by Joseph Heywood. Russian elites on the pursuit of a Nazi SS who took Hitler into hiding after he faked his suicide.
# "Prey" by Micheal Crichton. Probably his best book. nuff said.

etc etc

I love World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide. Both were very entertaining.

Posted by Red

World War Z,and Battle Royale sound good. but what exactly is prey?

Quoted post: The book begins with a brief intro noting the concerns of Crichton (and others) with the nascent field of nanotechnology, "the quest to build manmade machinery of extremely small size, on the order of... a hundred billionths of a meter"-for this is a cautionary novel, one with a compelling message, as well as a first-rate entertainment.Rare for Crichton, the novel is told in the first person, by Jack Forman, a stay-at-home dad since he was fired from his job as a head programmer for a Silicon Valley firm. In the novel's first third, Crichton, shades of his Disclosure, smartly explores sexual politics as Jack struggles with self-image and his growing suspicion that his dynamic wife, Julia, a v-p for the technology firm Xymos, is having an affair. But here, via several disturbing incidents, such as Jack's infant daughter developing a mysterious and painful rash, Crichton also seeds the intense drama that follows after Julia is hospitalized for an auto accident, and Jack is hired by Xymos to deal with trouble at the company's desert plant. There, he learns that Xymos is manufacturing nanoparticles that, working together via predator/prey software developed by Jack, are intended to serve as a camera for the military. The problem, as Crichton explains in several of the myriad (and not always seamlessly integrated) science lessons that bolster the narrative, is that groups of simple agents acting on simple instructions, without a central control, will evolve unpredictable, complex behaviors (e.g., termites building a termite mound). To meet deadlines imposed by financial pressures, Xymos has taken considerable risks. One swarm of nanoparticles has escaped the lab and is now evolving quickly-adapting to desert conditions, feeding off mammalian flesh (including human), reproducing and learning mimicry-leading to the novel's shocking, downbeat ending.Crichton is at the top of his considerable game here, dealing with a host of important themes (runaway technology, the deleterious influence of money on science) in a novel that's his most gripping since Jurassic Park. In the long run, this new book won't prove as popular as that cultural touchstone (dinos, nanoparticles aren't), but it'll be a smash hit and justifiably so.

it's awesome, trust me.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Anything and everything by Simon R. Green is phenomenal. My recommendation is to start out with the Deathstalker series, then read Blue Moon Rising, the 2 recently published collections of the Hawk & Fisher Adventures, and Beyond the Blue Moon. After that, you're ready for the first 3 Nightside books, followed by Drinking Midnight Wine, Shadow's Fall, and then the remaining Nightside books. He's my favorite living author after Douglas Adams died, and while he writes with more serious overtones, there is a lot of good ol' British comedy and even a referrence or two to Adams. Remarkable violence, melodramatic heroes and villains, and epic universes are what this man has created.

Right now I'm reading Scar Night, Alan Campbell's first novel. He was one of the designers/programmers of the grand theft auto series. While I didn't care for his video games, his book is top-notch! It's a dark fantasy tale of a vast city suspended over a bottomless abyss that worships an angry and vengeful god who has given the civilization military might and powerful heroes in exchange for the immortal souls of its citizens. Check it out.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: # "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski because it will **** you up.

That is such an awesome book <3

Posted by Crazy K

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. It's not really fantasy, but who cares, it's an awesome book.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Prey (one of the best books ever) ~ Michael Crichton
Wheel of Time series ~ Robert Jordan

Posted by Moogs

House by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: it's awesome, trust me.

Huh, I didn't think I had read Prey but apparently I have. Sweet.

Red, you should check out any books in the Ender's Game series:
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

The second series follows a character introduced in Speaker for the Dead:
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

I've only read a few in the first series, but they were excellent. The author is Orson Scott Card.

Posted by Moogs

Black by Ted Dekker
Red by Ted Dekker
White by Ted Dekker

Ted Dekker is one of my personal favorite authors. As, I'm sure you can tell.

Posted by Creedence

I hate most books but the best book, war wise, I have ever read is Fallen' Angels by Walter Dean Myers. Also if you want something fantasy thats a little out there, but still not to unrealistic, read Inkheart, and its sequal, Inkspell, and sometime in the near future there will be a third, called Inkdawn. Happy reading.

I know its after the thursday but next time you go look for these.

Also if your a fan of Bruce Cambell, which is seen in the awesome movies Evil Dead 1-3, Within The Woods, and the old spice commercial, then you might want to check out his autobiography, If Chins Could Kill, and a new book he wrote called, Make Love The Bruce Cambell Way (nothing to do with sex i dont think)

Quoted post: Make Love The Bruce Cambell Way (nothing to do with sex i dont think)

So you're recommending a book you've never read? Well done, idiot.

Posted by Creedence

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: So you're recommending a book you've never read? Well done, idiot.

I would like to read the first book (which I am currently reading), before I read the second (which I own, and know will be good because the first books that great), so think before you call somebody an idiot.

No. Idiot.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Good call.

Idiot.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'd suggest anything not by Salvatore. He sucks. He's seriously not a good writer, save decent fight scenes. He's the George Lucas of fantasy when it comes to character development and drama. Blows hard.

I'd recommend A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin. If not that, they try any of the Ender series by Orson Scott Card. Nonfiction- Mere Christianity by CS Lewis, Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut, or Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. Good starters.

Posted by Fate

I like nonfiction law stories. A Civil Action and The Innocent Man are my picks. Both very good reads.

A Civil Action is about a top-of-the-game lawyer who puts a great effort into a case only to lose everything.

The Innocent Man is about the wrongful conviction of a man with ongoing mental issues.

Quoted post: A Civil Action is about a top-of-the-game lawyer who puts a great effort into a case only to lose everything.

wtf spoilers

Posted by Orgasmatron

Scholastic Childrens Dictionary

Reminds me of when I used to climb trees

Posted by Red

wondering if I should rep or de-rep you for that.

EDIT: your rep means nothing to me, especialy since it's non existant.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: wtf spoilers

Not really. It's in the book description. You pretty much read the book to learn the how.

Posted by Sharpie

Gregory Maguire, you can't go wrong with his books but I'd recommend Wicked.

Quoted post: Not really. It's in the book description. You pretty much read the book to learn the how.

wtf, i don't read the description because they're spoilers too.

Posted by Fate

I don't read a book unless I know what it's about!

Posted by Red

trailers spoil movies, descriptions spoil books.

face it there's no way to be completely un-spoiled unless you have no clue what you're watching or reading.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hey guys, let's debate whether or not reading the descriptions of books spoil them, and whether or not people can be held accountable for commenting about said descriptions... seeing as how that's relevent to the topic and all.

wow, joke get? I personally don't give a **** about spoilers unless the person spoils every moment of the book.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I was actually crackin on Red. Your reply was too short to require my effort (and it was obv a joke)

That wasn't in direct reference to you anyways.

Posted by Red

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: hey guys, let's debate whether or not reading the descriptions of books spoil them, and whether or not people can be held accountable for commenting about said descriptions... seeing as how that's relevent to the topic and all.

HAY, I created this thread, and I say whats spam and whats not. survey says-NO SPAM. anyway I didn't end up going to that book store but I've taken thought into all those books, and I'm thinking other people might have as well, I was thinking we maybe turn this into just a "sugest some books" thread, like directed at anyone not just me. unless everyone was already doing that.

Posted by RandomizeR

Intensity by Dean Koontz

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Tad Williams' trilogy of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (The Dragonbone Chair, The Stone of Farwell, To Green Angel Tower) is quite good, as is his latest series which begins with Shadowmarch. Shadowplay is the second book. Sadly, just about everything else by this author sucks hard enough to get a bowling ball through a drinking straw.