Disney meteos released

Posted by GameMiestro

I had no idea this game had been released when I went to Target yesterday, but there it was. Being a long time Meteos vet, I had high expectations- needless to say, the gameplay aspect does not disappoint. The horizontal gameplay is a lot better than it sounds, while the production values seem a lot worse than it should be.

Some immediate thoughts:

-The "Bee hive" level suffers from a serious case of the "Brabbit" effect- make a single screen-wide stack and keep the speeder on constantly, and you can win entire battles just by launching that same stack over and over by making a new ignition as soon as it touches the ground. I was able to beat a trio of 5 star comps, the day I bought the game, by doing this little known strategy through the entire match.

-Some of the tougher missions require the player to have the speeder on. Constantly. These will challenge even the best Meteos players- I can't imagine noobs getting through these without a lot of practice.

-The sound sucks.

-The "Alien Crane" level reminds me a lot of Gravitas.

Yeah.

Posted by Drewboy64

The luna=luna/brabbit effect is cool.

But yeah, I don't know if this game will be good or not. I wish you weren't able to move things horizontally - that makes things way too easy. But thats only on one level right?

I also don't see why you have to hold it like a book.

Posted by junior senior

can you play it without the stylus?

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Drewboy64;549611]I wish you weren't able to move things horizontally - that makes things way too easy.

Buddy, this game is tough. I mean, REALLY, REALLY tough. I've been in CPU battles that have lasted over 10 minutes, story modes games that require you to hold down the speeder without ever stopping once, and played on levels that make Gravitas look like a joke. I honestly don't know if it's even possible to beat a team of 5 star comps on Broadside Battle or Attack from the Deep (the first being the Disney version of Hevendor, the second being the most ridiculously difficult to use planet you will ever see).

In the original Meteos, planets often had a majority of one color of meteos. However, in this game, they are much more evenly divided, so moving horizontally is a necessity to do well in the game. If you really like just doing up-and-down, do Expert mode- you'll see what I mean. :P

Posted by Arczu

[Font=Times New Roman]****... from what it sounds like, this is sound more tough then it's original game.

Moving horizontally? Had my hands full with moving up and down. This does need some investigation...

There isn't more that 5 colours in one level right?
[/font]

Posted by Drewboy64

"can you play it without the stylus?"
You can TRY to play it without the stylus, but you aren't going to get very far.

"Moving horizontally? Had my hands full with moving up and down. This does need some investigation..."
Also, moving horizontally well DEFINATELY not make it harder. If anything, it'll make it way easier.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Drewboy64;552939]
Also, moving horizontally well DEFINATELY not make it harder. If anything, it'll make it way easier.

Not true, considering that the computers can move horizontally too, and they will abuse this technique to the fullest.

Posted by Drewboy64

^Good point.

I wonder if there's a book or whatever like Havendor