Metal Recommendations

Posted by Lord of Spam

Ok, so I finally have a big enough harddrive to get a boatload of good music, and I want to stock up on metal, since I've been getting more into that recently. So far, I know I like DragonForce, Strapping Young Lad (and Devin townsend as a solo artist as well), I've got some lordi that seems okay.

Basically, fast ist gut, and being at least partially coherent is good as well. I like some semblance of melody and artistry, but not just "omg im so awesome listen to me as i jack off to a 50 minute guitar solo." I like to keep my guitar solo jackoffs to like 5 mins or less.

So, any recommendations? Torrents are superdouble plus bonus awesome, and will earn you 5.2 internets each.

Posted by Omni

You can try Pain of Salvation. There's a torrent here that worked for me recently:

[code]http://torrentspy.com/download.asp?id=1003162[/code]

It's basically progressive metal, with some songs delving into other styles. The songs aren't as long as a lot of Dream Theater songs can be.

I dunno if you want to try like black or death metal, so that's my recommendation for now. Also, you can check in my blog for stuff in the upload thread.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm more interested in faster, more energetic metal, I guess. I dont really like the slower stuff.

Edit: Fury of the Storm by DragonForce is sort of the song type im looking for, but it doesnt need to be quite as fast. just so long as its got the energetic kickass vibe.

Posted by Shade

Energetic? You gotta try some Evergrey. I'll edit an upload link into this post soon.

Posted by Corrupt

Try this on for size.

[code]http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=d6a0fa9[/code]

Helloween - "Mr. Torture"

Rob sent this to me years ago, and it's still the only song I've heard by Helloween.

Oh yeah, and if you're at all a fan of "eXtreme" metal parodies, then I can upload some Crotchduster.

Posted by Oforia

You like Blind Guardian?
They are pretty energetic metal I guess. I just finished downloading their discography and it is great quality.

[CODE]http://torrentspy.com/torrent/720966/Blind_Guardian_Discografia_Completa_tnt_village[/CODE]

If you want something more progressive, then Spastic Ink is ****ing awesome.

[CODE]http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/303254/3100888/[/CODE]

Oh yeah, and Gojira is another metal band that I like.

[CODE]http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/689951/775222/[/CODE]

Posted by fates warning

Adagio
Ayreon
Cynic
Danzig
Dream Theater
Engine
Fates Warning
Gordian Knot
Iron Maiden
King Diamond
Liquid Tension Experiment
Megadeth
Queensryche
Shadow Gallery
Spastic Ink
Symphony X

Just a few metal bands I like :)

Posted by Raptor

Quoting fates warning:
Liquid Tension Experiment

I can second this suggestion. Kind of like Dream Theater without the gruesome brutality and harsh vocals.

Posted by Ch

I'm gonna give you some songs instead of just naming artists...

Artist/Song
Judas Priest - Mostly anything.
Satyricon - Repined Bastard Nation
Pantera - Shattered
Anthrax - Madhouse
Children of Bodom - Black Widow
Mercyful Fate - Torture

Posted by Shade

Quoting Raptor: gruesome brutality and harsh vocals.

I hope you're joking.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Shade32: I hope you're joking.

why don't you shut the hell up and let obvious things go?

You want fast? Listen to "Inferno" by Symphony X. Also "Save Me" by Eldritch.

Posted by fates warning

Tons of Symphony X songs are fast. Smoke and Mirrors <3

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Liquid Tension Experiment isn't what he's looking for. He wants fast, fast metal. LTE boarderlines on rock.

Anywho, you're getting a lot of power/prog metal. You'll get sick of that **** pretty quickly I think. Plus, a lot of it sucks. Then again you like Dragonforce quite a bit, so whatever.

Personally I prefer my music to have a bit of additional flavour, but I'll recommenced some pretty straight-forward **** also:

Hypocrisy - Virus ("Warpath," "Fearless"
Turisas - Battle Metal ("Mightnight Sunrise")
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Bumblefoot - Normal ("Real")
Cacaphony - Speed Metal Symphony ("Speed Metal Symphony" "Concerto")
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin (lol metalcore that can run circles around most real metal acts)
Destroy Destroy Destroy - Devour the Power
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Have A Nice Trip/All You Need is Love
Doomriders - Black Thunder ("**** this ****")
Dragonland - Astronomy
Electro Quarterstaff - Gretzky
Ensiferum - Ensiferum/Victory Songs
Flametal - The Elder ("The Elder")
Heavenly - Virus
Introspeccion - Revealed
Kalmah - The Black Waltz
Killwhitneydead - So Pretty So Plastic ("If I Told You...")
Mastodon - Blood Mountain ("Capillarian Crest")
Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
Moi dix Mois - Dix Infernal ("Ange" "Gloire dans le silence")
Sentenced - Amok
Sonata Arctica - The End of this Chapter
Space Odyssey - Embrace The Galaxy
Taake - Hordaland Doedskvad
etc etc

And just for the hell of it: Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust. Assuming you want something really ****ing fast and can handle some harsher vocals.

None of that is really anymore "extreme" than SYL because I know you're a gigantic pussy. Expect harsh vocals, but nothing you can't understand. And **** torrents. Not wasting my time looking for that ****. Half of this should be easy enough to find on your own with a simple search.

Posted by Philsdad

Good call on those Die Apokalyptischen Reiter albums Vampiro, but don't forget about Samurai too. Personally, I enjoyed it more than Have A Nice Trip and All You Need Is Love, though they're all fantastic albums.

Same here, but "Have A Nice Trip" is more mellow with a lot less harsh vocals than either. So I figured he might like it more. But yeah, Samurai is another good choice, LoS.

Oh, and try Wintersun's self-titled debut. It's quite melodic and a lot of it has some definite speed.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh, and try Wintersun's self-titled debut. It's quite melodic and a lot of it has some definite speed.

<3 Battle Against Time :D

Oh, and maybe Angra's "Temple of Shadows"

Posted by fates warning

Hey, you wouldnt happen to have a link to a place where I can get an Angra Discography torrent. Getting all their albums one by one is annoying :/

Posted by Hyper

Quoting fates warning: Hey, you wouldnt happen to have a link to a place where I can get an Angra Discography torrent. Getting all their albums one by one is annoying :/

Jeez, remember when we had to get songs one by one? We're spoiled now :(

Posted by Shade

Remember when we actually had to BUY music? I know, it's crazy.

Posted by Hyper

...you still buy music. I still buy music. Most people still buy music.

I buy maybe two albums a year, while I download a good 300 per year. lol loev internet

Posted by Shade

300? I don't think I'll have that many in a few years. o_0

[quote=doesn't read]...you still buy music. I still buy music. Most people still buy music.

lol see the the word had in my post back there? ya

Posted by Hyper

deceptive, you emphasized "buy" and not "had." still your fault. :mad:

Posted by Shade

I know, I'm one tricky devil. :cool:

Posted by fates warning

I try and buy SOME music, (like the new dream theater, I will buy), but where the hell am I gonna come across an Angra cd?

Posted by Shade

[url]www.circuitcity.com[/url]
[url]www.bestbuy.com[/url]
[url]www.amazon.com[/url]

You say it like Angra is some hugely underground band or something.

Posted by fates warning

oh, I buy music in an actual store. Obviously I could buy it online, but in my area, DT is hugely underground :( People (especially at my school) suck at music.

Posted by Shade

Same here. Good thing the internet breaks down the walls.

Posted by Hyper

cduniverse.com
ebay.com
shopping.theendrecords.com

My local Best Buy has some gems sometimes. Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Probot, Symphony X. And they've always had Dream Theater well stocked.

Same with my Best Buy. Also HMV carries that stuff too. I've seen Angra there before, you just have to, you know, look around.

Posted by fates warning

my Best Buy has Symphony X, DT, and Opeth, but Ive never seen an Angra.

Posted by Basarab

Well, I actually love buying music... but it's not happening too often. There are too many things that I like, and it's hard to invest money in music... But, as some guy once said, "Yeah, Internet is so good for, eh-em, previewing stuff"...

Anyways. Metal recommendations. I think anyone will appreciate "contemporary" metal much more if he'd have listened to the "classics" before. So better not skip big bands such as Deep Purple and moreover Black Sabbath. Then you'll have a better overview on every genres of metal... Also, metal is so much connected with classical music. It's stunning. I've found that over the years.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

I'll throw in some good ones that'll keep you entertained for quite awhile...

Black or semi-black metal: Emperor, Anorexia Nervosa, Immortal Souls, Finntroll, Dragonlord

Death or semi-death metal: Nile, Krisiun, The Amenta, newer Testament, Cannibal Corpse

power metal: Kamelot, Nightwish, Ayreon (they are not extremely fast, unlike everything I listed above, but they're not super slow either),

Posted by Shade

I don't think Ayreon exactly qualify as power metal. The genres jump around so much it's hard to classify them at all.

Prog metal. Bam, classified.

Also, most of those won't fly, especially Nile and CC. They're fast, but definitely not his kind of music.

Posted by Ilikefluff

so you like the power/prog metal...here's a list for ya

flotsam and jetsam,black lable society,jet black,sideburn,thorn,old season,helltown,hell yeah,gilgamesh,gaia epicus

list of power and prog bands

Angra
Aina
Axenstar
At Vance
Azrael's Bane
Altaria
Audiovision
Avalanch
avantasia
Avian
Axxis
Adiastasia
Blind Guardian
Crystal Eyes
Circus Maximus
Crimson Glory
Cellador
Dragonforce
Divine Fire
Dark Crystal
Dungeon
Edguy
Exhibition
Gamma Ray
Galloglass
Gothic Knights
Gilgamesh
Helloween
Hallowed
Haloburn
Hammerfall
Heart and Anger
Iron Maiden
Iron Savior
Iced Earth
Judas Priest
Korpiklaani
Meyvn
Masterplan
Metalium
Metatrone
Manowar
My Disgrace
Morgana Lefay
Narnia
Outworld
Primal Fear
Phoenix Reign
Rhapsody (of Fire)
Royal Hunt
Stratovarious
Savage Circus
Scavenger
Secret Sphere
Suspyre
Total Eclipse
Threshold
Twilight Odyssey
twilightning
Vanden Plas
Vision Divine
Yngwie Malmsteen

Posted by Raptor

How about instead of just posting lists, you provide a detailed description of each of those bands you listed? From the names I recognise, most of them vary widely in style and may or may not be what he's looking for.

Posted by Omni

Oh, and I'd like to note that Judas Priest is neither a progressive or power metal band. I'm sure there are others, too, but my point is made.

Like Black Label Society

Posted by Ilikefluff

I never said BLS was ,,,and some of JP songs are, everyone's got there opinion, thats what the internet is for,LOOKING THEM UP,deutch bag,,, I was going post this later but which p2p site for downloading music would be a good choice to go with, limewire,kazaa,bearshare,itunes,

Posted by Omni

Quoting Ilikefluff: I never said BLS was ,,,

They are one of the first bands you named under where you wrote this:

Quoting Ilikefluff;557691: so you like the power/prog metal...here's a list for ya

Unless I'm reading that wrong, you did say they were.

[quote]and some of JP songs are, everyone's got there opinion, thats what the internet is for,LOOKING THEM UP,deutch bag,,,

Just because someone thinks Judas Priest songs are power metal doesn't not make it a fact. Opinions are subjective. Oh, and what the **** is a deutch bag? Seriously.

[quote]I was going post this later but which p2p site for downloading music would be a good choice to go with, limewire,kazaa,bearshare,itunes,

Limewire does work for finding common music but it has all kinds of spyware and crud on it. Bearshare is basically the exact same thing as Limewire. I have never used Kazaa. iTunes is good if you're willing to pay for your music.

P.S.
Only idiots pick fights with moderators in their own boards.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine:

Just because someone thinks Judas Priest songs are power metal doesn't not make it a fact. Opinions are subjective. Oh, and what the **** is a deutch bag? Seriously.

I believe he was trying to call you a bag from Germany,,,, Which wouldn't be all that bad, you know.,,,,,,,,,,

Posted by Omni

I don't think that's what he was trying to call me, but you win points for finding an acceptable definition.