"Open With..." Problems

Posted by Alastor

Alright, so, my default setup is when I double click any image (other than stuff like PSDs) it'll open in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. That's good. I mess with sprites and stuff a lot, so I've gotten into a habit of right clicking and choosing Open With -> Paint if I need to edit anything. For whatever reason, Paint is now gone from Open With.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/pza_alastor_sc/PaintProb1.jpg[/IMG]

Not entirely, but it's gone so far as to not be convenient anymore. If I choose Choose Program, I can find Paint under Other Programs, rather than Recommended Programs.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/pza_alastor_sc/PaintProb2.jpg[/IMG]

Not a devastating problem, but because of the habit I have of using that method, it's becoming really annoying. I'm having the exact same problem with .WAV files and Sound Recorder. The thing is, I can't even find Sound Recorder anymore. I think the only reason I can still use Paint is because I have it in my AIM download directory from when it mysteriously disappeared some months ago. I figure the directory of Paint might be causing the problem, but I can't be sure.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

It can't be the directory because I have setup associations to programs on CD's and other removable stuff. Maybe this is partly due to the version of Windows your running. So I'm guessing your running XP...Eh?

Posted by Alastor

Yeah. XP Home with Service Pack 2. Same thing I've been running for the past year or two. It's the only thing that's been on the computer. Paint and Sound Recorder worked fine, then just seemed to disappear. I know it was probably user error on my part somehow, but I can't imagine how I would knowingly delete Sound Recorder.

Posted by Gangstafly

I dont know any o' dis here sheeit so ya prob'ly shouldnt ax me how ta werk dat geekbox thin'. maybe ya should ax somebody else with muh beeotch

Posted by Gangstafly

werd up im going ta bump dis here sheeit cuz whitey peeps gots uh problem being nice what 'chew thinking man?

Posted by Omni

Oh, well if you didn't mess with your Start Menu, you can find the Sound Recorder under the Accessories tab in Entertainment.

As for getting images to open in Paint or whatever other program you like to use, right click on them, and look on the properties for the spot where you change the default program to open it. If the one you want isn't on the list, I'm pretty sure it lets you browse. I'm not sure exactly if Paint is in the Windows, System, or Program files folder, but it should be around there somewhere if you need to brose for it to make it the default for opening the files.

If that helps, let me know. If not, sorry to waste your time.

Posted by Alastor

Hmm... alright, I checked the Properties of my sister's Sound Recorder and Paint, and they're both in C:/WINDOWS/system32. My Sound Recorder went missing from the Start Menu, and from Open With. I've poked around folders manually and used Search, but couldn't come up with anything. I'll play it safe and just copy her Sound Recorder to my flash drive and take it back to my computer, though. Thanks.

Posted by Philsdad

Sound Recorder is called sndrec32.exe So try going to Start, Run and typing sndrec32 and see if it comes up.

Posted by KoH

Sound recorder is under the name that Phil specified in the System32 folder in the Windows directory.

As for changing default programs, go to Start Menu > Set Program Access and Defaults > Custom etc.

And finally, regarding the Paint shortcut issue: As far as I know Windows bases all that automatic short-cut bull**** by how many times you use it. So, for instance, if you were to open up Notepad quite often it would automatically be placed in the main menu of the Start Menu. Likewise for the "Open with..." option.

It's always been like that with me. If I got fed up and just wanted it to easily be in the menu I would take 2 minutes, copy the exact location of the program I wanted to be in the "Open with..." shortcut and just re-open the file using that program a few dozen times.

Otherwise, reply back and we can get into some "hard-core ****." As they say.