Suggestions 4 Pretty Hate Machine aka musical transitions

Posted by Dexter

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:judgyl13xpeb

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:26xsa9tgq23d

These were two albums responsible for a huge musical transition of mine back when I was introduced to them in 2001. They lead me to other great artist like My Dying Bride and Opeth. Both bands are excellent and have many other fantastic albums, but these two are still my favorites from them. I believe that you will appreciate them like I have and that they will lead to you exciting new sounds and pleasures.

I discovered Nevermore while looking for the song "The Sound of Silence." by Simon And Garfunkel. I saw that there was a remake, so I checked it out and BAM!

Posted by Shade

The album responsible for my transition?

Dream Theater - Images and Words

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Anathema is excellent. Nevermore, not so much.

The album responsible for my transition: Darkthrone's "A Blaze in the Northern Sky." I wouldn't've liked half of the non-metal bands I do now without that particular album. As odd as that may seem.

Posted by Omni

I appreciate the suggestions, because they both seem to be good from what I read about them on the site. It'd be cool if someone could upload either one of these two albums.

Listen to Blind Guardian's "A Night At the Opera" and "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" instead.

Posted by Hyper

Blind Guardian is EPIC, but I really don't think they're all that great :(

They aren't amazing by any means, then again he's not exactly a metal-buff. Plus, those two albums are a ****ton better than anything Nevermore has put out.

Posted by Omni

Hey, Vampiro, I'd like to hear Tuatha De Danann, if you know what I mean.

Oh ****. I'm doing it RIGHT now.

k, so everyone has to download it, because everyone should listen to it.

Posted by Corrupt

Will do.

Posted by Omni

Oh, and I've heard a lot of progressive, black, and doom metal already This thread title makes it sound like I just started yesterday.

Posted by Shade

Vamp, what are you trash-talking Nevermore for? This ***less Endeavor is great.

Quoted post: Vamp, what are you trash-talking Nevermore for? This ***less Endeavor is great.

**** sucks. I remember trying to get into them back when I was just getting into metal. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.

Posted by Omni

Anyway, it'd be pretty cool if someone could upload some of these albums.

Posted by Dexter

Dead Heart, in a Dead World is better than anything by Blind Guardian. "Insignificant" is a fantastic song. Demons & Wizards are superior to Blind Guardian, too. Iced Earth is bad. Barenaked Ladies are ok live.

Posted by Slade

lol @ PHM "uhhh k guys upload it now plz"

The first metal stuff I ever listened to was Dream Theater. Just random song of theirs off Limewire. Then I came upon Blind Guardian(which holds a special place in my heart), and finally Opeth. Then I requested some black metal from Vamp, and now that's my favorite <3. Soon as I get back on my own computer I'll be getting on DC++ and downloading that **** like mad.

But yeah, I want some Allagoch, too. Whichever has that suicidal scream vamp mentioned. Can't get enough of that stuff :-*

Posted by Dexter

Check out Kittie. Vampy introduced me. lawl.

lol what?

Quoted post: Dead Heart, in a Dead World is better than anything by Blind Guardian. "Insignificant" is a fantastic song. Demons & Wizards are superior to Blind Guardian, too. Iced Earth is bad. Barenaked Ladies are ok live.

Ah, no. D&W is good, but only good. BG ranges from excellent to terrible, but their high notes are much higher than anything D&W ever put out.

And yeah, Slade, get on AIMSN and I'll send it. It's easier.

Posted by Shade

PHM, sending over AIM is waaaaay easier than uploads.

Unless the person has a ****ing slow connection.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Shade32: PHM, sending over AIM is waaaaay easier than uploads.

You sending me something over AIM requires me to have an IM convo with you, meaning that I'm probably going to have to talk to you in real time. Not something I always feel like doing. Oh, yeah, and if it gets uploaded, anyone who is interested can grab it, giving more people a chance to hear it.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: And yeah, Slade, get on AIMSN and I'll send it. It's easier.

WILL DO

eventually

[quote]meaning that I'm probably going to have to talk to you in real time. Not something I always feel like doing.
ohhhhhh buuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrn

**** you

Posted by Shade

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: You sending me something over AIM requires me to have an IM convo with you, meaning that I'm probably going to have to talk to you in real time. Not something I always feel like doing. Oh, yeah, and if it gets uploaded, anyone who is interested can grab it, giving more people a chance to hear it.

You're the one who IM's me. =\

Posted by Omni

I wasn't specifically targeting Shade with that statement. It was a general opinion.

Posted by Xenos

My first transition was either Dream Theatre - Scenes from a Memory/Awake. Then ******T sent me a folder of Post Rock and another band ... specfically .. . ***speed You! Black Emperor.

Posted by Omni

I actually don't have anything by Godspeed! You Black Emperor. I want to get some of their music.

Good stuff, good stuff. But A Silver Mt. Zion is better.

Posted by Xenos

True, true. Speaking of which, I lost my Silver Mt. Zion the last time I rebooted ... if you don't mind, can you upload it for me? :-P

I believe SMZ is a side project of GS!YBE?

Yup. What albums do you want?

Posted by Xenos

Is it too demanding to ask for all of them? :-[

Not rly

Posted by Xenos

plz

Posted by Omni

Yeah, I'll grab anything post-rock or similar that shows up, too. :)