what anime made you hate/love shojo

Posted by temari

the first shojo anime i watched was sailor moon, and that series made me hate shojo. then after i read fruits basket, i started to pick up on the shojo genre again.
what series of anime (if at all) ruined shojo for you?

Posted by Zeta

That horrible Cardcaptors dub of Cardcaptor Sakura killed the genre for me. Didn't watch any more of it until A Little Snow Fairy Sugar.

Posted by Shade

Shoujo meaning like, tons of girls in the anime?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Loved Sailormoon. Sorry, temari. It's a classic that established a multitude of staples in superhero anime that will still exist 20 years from now. Tuxedo Mask is still the mightiest of all heroes.

I enjoyed Fruits Basket as well, despite the...unfortunate name of the series.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Tuxedo Mask is still the mightiest of all heroes.

Tuxedo Mask <33333333333333

Posted by Fate

I don't like shojo very much. I read a few titles that are actually meant for girls, though: "Galaxy Angel", "Life", and "Absolute Boyfriend". Most of the stuff I read is meant for guys or both genders.

Stuff like "Kamikaze Girls" (manga translation) and "Fruits Basket" make me steer clear of shojo stuff.

Posted by temari

no. shojo is a genre of anime that means romance, and the number of female characters assorted into the anme is up to the writer.

Posted by temari

Quoting Shade32: Shoujo meaning like, tons of girls in the anime?

no. the shojo genre is romance, and the input of female characters in the anime is entirely up to the writer. if you want to see lots of chicks in an anime, i recomend love hina

Posted by temari

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Loved Sailormoon. Sorry, temari. It's a classic that established a multitude of staples in superhero anime that will still exist 20 years from now. Tuxedo Mask is still the mightiest of all heroes.

I enjoyed Fruits Basket as well, despite the...unfortunate name of the series.

to each his own, and your right it probably will exsist 20
from now, it will be loved, hated, and possibly feared.

Posted by Shade

Dude, you don't need to recommend Love Hina to me, check the avatar. :cookie:

Anything by Ken Akamatsu is great. And Futakoi!

Posted by Fate

"Shojo" isn't romance, it's manga targeted for girls. It doesn't have to have romance in it. "Life" doesn't have any love in it and it's still shojo.

Posted by Dexter

Nothing's destroyed it for me. I loved A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Fruits Basket, Kaliedo Star (fav), and Azumanga Daioh. It's actually my favorite genre of anime. As long as it has lessons to learn and solid characters filled with exaggerated emotions, I'll probably enjoy it.

Even Mao-Chan was fun. ^_^

Posted by Shade

Ahh, Azumanga Daioh. That's show's hilarious. XD

Posted by Dexter

Isn't it? Chiyo Mihama was so cute and gullible. So much fun, so many adventures.

Osaka and Yomi were my favorites. Osaka because she was so slow and easily amused, and Yomi because she was exasperatingly sane in a class full of nutbars, plus she looked like Naru from Love Hina.

Posted by Dexter

Osaka was my 2nd favorite for reasons you mentioned. I usually don't enjoy easily amused characters, but I thought she pulled it off nicely.

Posted by Shade

I loved it in the field day episode, where all Osaka wanted to do was slam her face into a bowl of flour. Or something like that. XD

Aha! I just thought of a shojo anime that I hated! Pretear. Now there was an anime that took the whole metrosexual male character thing to a level that should have been buried and had a mini-mall built over it.

Posted by garraperson

I started reading this manga NANA and I love shojo

Posted by temari

Quoting Shade32: Dude, you don't need to recommend Love Hina to me, check the avatar. :cookie:

sorry, i need to open my eyes.

Posted by temari

Quoting Shade32: Dude, you don't need to recommend Love Hina to me, check the avatar. :cookie:

Quoting Fate: "Shojo" isn't romance, it's manga targeted for girls. It doesn't have to have romance in it. "Life" doesn't have any love in it and it's still shojo.

i have never heard of life, someone told me shojo was romance because most shojo books have the genre title 'romance' on the back of the book, but your statement makes more sence. doesn't the word 'shojo' mean girl in japanese??

Posted by Average n00b

Sailor Moon was nice when I was like..8. Now it sucks. The only shojo I like is Fruits Basket.

Buuut, typical Shojo:

*Young girl walks into her high school..She sees the love of her life* "omgz i lyke..ttly luv him..but i dont no how 2 say it"
*Boy looks at her..She does the typical anime blush and runs away*
*Another boy is in the distance..He has a very secret crush on the girl who has a crush on the main character*

*About..Three chapters later*
"omgz. he haz a crush on me?!?!? but thats..i cant..i luv him..WHO SHALL I CHOSE??!?!?1/1//"

Then some sucky ending comes up.

Posted by Fate

Most shojo is romance, but not all romance is shojo. Some of it is yaoi. :)

Posted by temari

i will remember that. thank you for sorting that out.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Sailor moon made me very embarrassed to watch shoujo when I noticed all of the fan service. Then Inuyasha came along and I rethought my interests in the genre. There have been way more since then (especially Chobits) that have entertained me.

Posted by temari

i have wanted to read chobits, you obviously think that it is entertaining,
but what is it about??

Posted by Fate

Sailor Moon was actually pretty good. It was those filler episodes that killed it for me. :mad:

Chobits is a panty shot disguised as a manga. It was cute until a panty shot came from nowhere. Then it got tiring.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I didn't see all of it but basically it's about a guy(Hideki) who finds a futuristic type of computer called a Chobit. This one is named Chi and through out the show she learns new things. I think she was starting to fall for Hideki before I stopped watching it. I only got to see it because a friend had it. Also I didn't notice any panty shots in the anime version. Although I'm not saying there weren't any in the show. This show's genre would be romantic/comedy, I think.

Posted by Average n00b

Yuppers. There were a lot of sexual stuff in the Chobits anime, never watched the manga, I also stopped watching it because I was bored of downloading the whole thing.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Shade32: I loved it in the field day episode, where all Osaka wanted to do was slam her face into a bowl of flour. Or something like that. XD

[IMG]http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/5245/osakabreadew2.gif[/IMG]

Posted by temari

Quoting Fate: Sailor Moon was actually pretty good. It was those filler episodes that killed it for me. :mad:

Chobits is a panty shot disguised as a manga. It was cute until a panty shot came from nowhere. Then it got tiring.

now it is dead, just like warriors of tao. but i still want to know what it is
about

Posted by Fate

Warriors of Tao was the same panty shot crap. It had a cool story, but holy crap-- that sexual stuff came out of nowhere.

For info on Chobits, click [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobits]here[/url].

Posted by Shade

Chobits is soooooooo ridiculously overrated.

Posted by Fate

Personally I think it's a piece of crap, especially considering CLAMP did Shirahime-Syo. *******s.

I totally love how they abandoned Legal Drug. Even if it was yaoi.
:cookie:

Posted by Shade

All Yaoi deserves to be destroyed! What the hell is CLAMP, anyway?

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Shade32: All Yaoi deserves to be destroyed! What the hell is CLAMP, anyway?

Some Yaoi isn't all that bad really. Or maybe that's just a girl's point of view..Do you like Yuri?

*CLAMP: The creators of Chobits, Angelic Layer, etc. The most famous group of manga creators*

Posted by Naoko

Quoting temari: the first shojo anime i watched was sailor moon, and that series made me hate shojo. then after i read fruits basket, i started to pick up on the shojo genre again.
what series of anime (if at all) ruined shojo for you?

what ruined it for my was revolutionary girl utena, the gayest of all that is gay. what brought it back was fruits basket!

Posted by temari

...peach girl sux and so does salior moon...that is it and that is all

Posted by O.T.L

i likes sailor moon ! only watched it when i was a kid though.. havent seen it on tv anymore... my favorite was yuyuhakusho i loved his ! spirit gun !
shotgun ! and i forgot what this one show was called it was about a swordsman who only used a double sword or something like that so he wouldnt kill anyone....

_ i thought this post was what anime made you love/hate anime... i didnt read what it said.. ; )

Posted by temari

Quoting oswaldothelegend: i likes sailor moon ! only watched it when i was a kid though.. havent seen it on tv anymore... my favorite was yuyuhakusho i loved his ! spirit gun !
shotgun ! and i forgot what this one show was called it was about a swordsman who only used a double sword or something like that so he wouldnt kill anyone....

_ i thought this post was what anime made you love/hate anime... i didnt read what it said.. ; )

yuyuhakusho is awesome even though i cannot really say if it was shojo or not, but anyway the spirit gun is nothing compared to what kurama can do!
and as for sailor moon:mad:but opinions are opinions....i still think sailor moon sux

Posted by Jeffereyshalom

chibi vampire. now that is worth reading.

Posted by temari

what is that about? i have heard of it but never really got into it because of all the vampire crap floating around in my local manga dealer. i saw the cover and thought 'o great another ****ing vampire manga that probably is't worth the paper it is made out of.' but please tell me what it is about.

Posted by Jeffereyshalom

Well, its about this girl who is a vampire, but a reverse vampire. she actually produces more blood than her body can handle and thusly must find a victim to unload it into before she bassically has a ashton-kutcher-butterfly-effect sized nose bleed and passes out. this kid starts going to her school and being around him makes her blood increase, hilarity ensues. ..........look it up on wikipedia

Posted by temari

thank you...still sounds like crap.

Posted by Jeffereyshalom

it kinda is, but it sucks with the epicness of snakes on a plane, you just cant help but love it.

Posted by temari

hm....your undying love for this manga has inspired me to read it...

Posted by Jeffereyshalom

you misspelled Inspired and undying.

but yeah, go ahead and read it, its worth a laugh or two.

Posted by temari

yea yea...it is summer break, my brains are mushier than usual