Tales of the Abyss [Potential Spoiler Warning]

Posted by Alastor

Since pretty much everyone who comes to this little webhole known as a blog has played Tales of Symphonia, how many of you have played Tales of the Abyss? I was lucky enough to happen upon a free PS2 a few months after it came out, so I went and picked it up.

I thought the graphics, battle system, and presentation were a major improvement over Symphonia. The story is a lot less clich

Posted by Iris

I bought it the day it came out. Love it a lot.

And Natalia is better than you and your family. Her personality flaws or no worse than some of the other characters, in my opinion, such as Luke whining and then turning into a cliche fag, Tear's VA doing horribly dry lines, Jade saying the same thing over and over, etc. It's not irritating enough to dislike the character, but they're far from a completely perfect cast.

Posted by Alastor

I didn't say the rest was perfect at all, now did I? Oh, wait, correction: LOL YOU COMPARED JADE'S SCRIPT TO NATALIA'S WTF JADE > NATALIA UR RONG. I said I liked them, but all of them had their flaws.

Everyone had a repeated lines, but come on. Desperate to prove a fanboyish point on the internet much? They still fall victim to the, "Let's just start with what we can do," and "****it, isn't there anything we can do?!" type clich

Posted by Iris

That was actually my point. It was mostly Luke and Tear who had generic RPG lines like "I wasn't strong enough" and "prepare to die." Natalia's character seemed much more realistic to me. Of course all of the characters had those type of lines at some point, but not to the same degree.

Posted by Alastor

The best part of the game is still [spoiler]"WE WILL NOT LOSE!" *jiggle*[/spoiler]. Typical of me, I know, but I just love it.

Posted by Iris

Haha, true. They jiggle a bit while she runs too. There's so many skits and scenes about her boobs that are hilarious.

Posted by Shade

Are you still not able to attack multiple enemies at once like in ToS? Because that ****ed me off, being able to do that saved my *** in ToP many many times.

Posted by Iris

You can with spells if they're in the area, and with attacks if the enemies are close enough together. With the 3D battlefield, it's harder to do so, but free running makes it so it isn't an inconvenience.

Posted by Shade

Dang. I truly belong in the linear battlefield.

Posted by Alastor

Like Iris said, you can hit enemies that are like right next to you if you're using Luke or Guy. You do like a sweeping attack and hit any enemies close enough, whether they're target or not. Useful for when you're, y'know, getting monster raped.

Posted by Shade

I love moving monsters over to the corner and then raping them with mass quantities of Tiger Blade.

Posted by Alastor

Which reminds me. Yesterday I pulled off like a 30-35 hit combo on one enemy, and then I (using Luke) used Light Blast, and Guy used Dragon Tempest. Enemy was RAEP'D. Topped off around 50 or 60 hits I think.

Posted by Shade

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

oh wai-

Posted by Iris

I think I've done over 100 hits in a combo. More difficult than in Symphonia since you don't have unison attacks. Do regular attacks in different intervals and use combo techs that give lots of hits. Luke has a bunch of arcane artes made of 2 different base artes that give lots of hits. Guy's Sword Rain, Anise's Shadow Punishment, and Natalia's Gallant Barrage all give lots of hits at once.

I've also learned that Tear's Judgement and Jade's Meteor Storm are incredible on large monsters. It sucks if you've cornered the monster, but if they're in the middle of the field, it does tons. I've had Tear do over 50,000 on a single monster with one casting of Judgement. She was max level and wearing her pendant, but it's still a lot.

Posted by Alastor

I didn't mean that was my highest one, it was just neat. I think my highest one is only around 70, though. It's getting higher since I've been playing on Hard lately, trying to get Berserker for Luke.

Posted by Dexter

Fantastic game. I've already talked about it to the extreme in a few other threads. Anise is probably my favorite character.

Posted by Linkman

I just started playing it a week ago, so I didn't really read a lot of this thread, as I don't want any of it spoiled. I'm enjoying it quite a bit though. Favorite character so far is probably Jade, but I don't have Natalia yet, so...

Posted by Dexter

You're the first person I've known to really like Jade. He was needed and gave the team a good touch, but he wasn't much fun to play as.

Posted by Linkman

yeah, but like I said, I'm not that far into it, and I really don't have much for any character, so right now, my opinion is based mostly on character personality. I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube, and from what I've seen, Anise or Natalia will probably be my favorite, as far as combat goes.

Posted by Dexter

I thought Natalia would be my favorite, but surprisigly I enjoyed Anise and Luke far more. I don't want to give anything away but stuff transpires that leaves you feeling like you know them the best, strangely. I'm sure you're far enough to notice Guy's phobia of girls, which gets even more interesting later on. It's funny and sad.

Luke had no female phobia. You silly man, you.

Posted by Linkman

Guy has a girl phobia, not Luke, unless something happens later on that makes Luke afraid of girls.

Either way, yeah, past that part.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, whoa, sorry, totally got the names mixed up there. Guy was the one I liked, not Luke. I knew something was off.

Posted by Linkman

I'm a bit ashamed that I just learned the combat system entirely.

Posted by Dexter

I don't think I ever fully figured it out. :(

Posted by Shade

HAVING TO TARGET FOR MELEE ATTACKS SUCKS!

Posted by Zeta

Phantasia's battle system was too slow and clunky. Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 and 3 are superior.

Posted by Alastor

...10X EXP makes the game way too easy. Started my third playthrough recently, and had 10X at first. I was clearing battles on Very Hard and Unknown in like five seconds before I even got to Zao Ruins. So I restarted with 2X, but kept stuff like Capacity Cores. Couldn't beat Nebilim on Very Hard on my second playthrough, so I'm going for some hidden Artes this time. I found three more Capacity Cores in my second playthrough, too. Two of them are Grandioz and Tutti. :cool:

Posted by Iris

Grandioz you should've gotten the first playthrough. :P

You should definitely try to share capacity cores. It's pretty worth it to switch whenever some one else is about to level while the other isn't.

Posted by Alastor

I've got Tutti on Luke, Grandioz on Anise, and Lunattito on Jade. Playing around with the ones I have on Guy, Natalia and Tear. My party right now is Luke, Anise, Jade, Tear. I'm going to start using Natalia shortly, when she gets some more Artes.

Luke, Jade, and Anise are the three I'm most concerned with, so those three cores will be shared only between them. My fourth whenever I get to Nebilim will be either Tear or Natalia, depending on what Artes they both have. Like I said, I'm going for some of the hidden ones this time. I also found Guy's "Hod Citizen Registry" thing, which I completely missed on the first two playthroughs.

Posted by Iris

Guy gets some good artes through sidequests. Make sure to get tempest and soaring light spear. tear's Judgement is easy to miss, and so is Natalia'a Gallant Barrage and Healing Force. Luke has like, 5 side-quest artes and Jade has 3.

Make sure to put C-cores according to what stats the character needs. Obviously don't put F attack ones of Guy, Luke, or Natalia. Enhancement is unnecessary after like, 90.

Oh, and you can only have 1 of each C-core.

Posted by Alastor

[quote]Make sure to put C-cores according to what stats the character needs. Obviously don't put F attack ones of Guy, Luke, or Natalia. Enhancement is unnecessary after like, 90.

Oh, and you can only have 1 of each C-core.

I knew all that. I'm giving Anise Tutti pretty soon, probably. If it has a higher F. ATK bonus... I forget. What should I buff on Natalia? Right now, I forget which core it is, but it's got +3 Enhance and Agility bonuses.

Posted by Iris

Din's shop. There's some good C-cores there. Balla Maggiore or something, which adds 1 to each stat, Largamente adds 1 enhance and agility and 2 to everything else. And Parlanto adds 4 to agility and enhancement.

If you can't give Natalia tutti, grandioz, lunatitio, or largamente, then give her scildicedo or lebhaft.