Prices To Play An MMO 20 Years Ago!

Posted by alscott333

I was researching about MMO's today and I found out some stuff. Like 20 years ago they had MMO's. But can you beleve the prices?:

Islands of Kesmai(1984): $12 an hour!

Neverwinter Nights(1991): $6 an hour!

The Shadow of Yserbius(1992): $120 a month!

Legends of Future Past(1992): $6 an hour!
---------------------

I don't know about you but at those prices I would never find anybody on :O lol

Posted by Zeta

Wow, that Yserbius better have been some awesome ****. O_o

Posted by GameMiestro

Calculating in inflation, the price to play 5 hours a day (which many MMORPGers have been known to do) on Islands of Kesmai works out to about $40,000 a year.

And you thought the PS3 was expensive...

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'd like to see a source before I believe any of this.

Posted by Kit

Neverwinter Nights is free to play online. I own it.

Posted by alscott333

You guys don't beleve me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG

"The first commercial MMORPG was Islands of Kesmai designed by Kelton Flinn and John Taylor. Still text-based, this game became available to consumers in 1984 for $12.00 per hour via the CompuServe online service."

Posted by GameMiestro

I did some research on all of these sites, and these prices are all real. Computing time was enormously expensive in those days (the initial 3-day test of Islands of Kesmai ate up $100,000 of CPU time!!!).

Also, Islands of Kesmai was split into two connections- the "slow" connections, which were $5.00/hr, and the "fast" connections, which did cost $12.00/hr.

Posted by Kit

Quoted post: Neverwinter Nights is free to play online. I own it.

Posted by protomanv4

O wow I never thought about this.

Posted by WackoHater2

I don't know the current prices too well because I don't pay for anything online, but I know they are much cheaper than that. Pretty outrageous.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wikipedia is not a reliable source, you twit.

Posted by alscott333

Wikipedia is an awsome sorce to find out anything. Why do you dislike it?

Posted by Sean Fury

Wikipedia is indeed awesome, when the article has citations to prove what it says.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Lord of Spam;540238]Wikipedia is not a reliable source, you twit.

Just search "islands of kesmai cost $12" on google, and you'll have about 60 reliable sources right there.

Posted by WackoHater2

Wikipedia is my source for everything. I love it. I think it's very reliable. It's hard to find what you want searching Google sometimes.

Posted by alscott333

I agree. Its really good for school and stuff.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wikipedia is editable by anyone with an account, regardless of their creditentials. Many major universities are modifying rules to disallow its use as a source. it IS unreliable, whether you retards admit it or not. As is google, so dont even try that either.

Posted by alscott333

Dude whats your problem?

Posted by Litbut

Sure, Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. With or without an account. Some articles don't cite any source whatsoever. But still. Wikipedia strives to maintain an accurate set of information. It also tells you if an article needs to be cleaned up. Some articles were removed and don't want to be added again without a good reason. Some articles can't be edited by new members or non members. And even some prevent editing in total if it's being translated. But still. Wikipedia is a very good source. I use it nearly daily.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Kit: Neverwinter Nights is free to play online. I own it.

Old post is old. However, Neverwinter 1991 != new Neverwinter.

[quote=Panic]Wikipedia is my source for everything. I love it. I think it's very reliable. It's hard to find what you want searching Google sometimes.
You're a stupid tool. If I add a redirect to a photo of you from the "Latent homosexual" page, would you consider that accurate? Considering it's your source for everything, there's not a snowball's chance in your deep-fat-fryer that you'd dispute it.

Posted by zeldafreak1223

i check out The Shadow of Yserbius. its not only not worth it, its HORRIBLE. whoever paid 120/month was out of their mind.