Getting a new computer (ITT: PC OR MAC LOL)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

yeah, I work around computers all day... which is why I'm now stuck with a decision. Chances are, if I get a new PC, it's going to have Vista. Problem is, I don't like it. I don't like what I've heard and what I've experienced. And I'm just generally unhappy with Windows. I don't want to use Linux either. Which leaves me with XP or OS X. Now, the only reason I'm considering a mac is because my sister just got one of those mac machines with the ****ing huge screens and everything built in... and I actually kinda like it. But my shop doesn't deal with macs and I really have next to no clue about them because I just didn't care. I'm not sure how compatible macs are with everything, how easy they are to jump from years and years of PC experience and so on and so forth. So my question is, since I know a couple of you use them, is it worth spending the money to go for the mac or should I just stick with a PC?

experiences and reasoning help.

Posted by mis0

I've used some of those "screen" Macs at my uni, and I actually liked them. I didn't like the stupid mouse they came with (the whole mouse is a big button if you push on it). As far as OSX goes, it's very intuitive. You'll figure it out in just a few seconds. It made me seriously loathe myself for torturing myself with Windows. And the iBooks I've used are also pretty nice.

Vista, which I've used, is terrible and annoying and it doesn't let you do anything without nannying you. I consider it TCS (traction control) for computers - it'll be helpful if you're retarded, but you'll just be annoyed if you know what you're doing. Though I'm sure that plainly ****ing obvious, because you've used it.

Not like XP is that great either, but I'm divided - I like the freedom a PC gives you, but OSX is stable and simple and it just works - no BS. Play with your sisters Mac and see if you can put up with it.

Yeah, she's a ***** so I can't. Otherwise I would've.

But your last paragraph pretty much sums up my problem. I really, really like the design of OS X and just how well it works but it seems like I'm able to do more with a PC.

Posted by Stalolin

We've got one of the screen macs at my school.

Despite my hatred of Mac I still enjoy fiddling with the thing (F11 AND F10 RAVE). As far as I know it's broken once in like five years.

now don't get me started on those new mac laptops, every friend I've got that's boughten one has had a **** ton of problems with them.

Go with Windows 2000 or something.

It still works with almost everything because it's still just an NT OS.

Nah, I'll never use 2000 and I'm not looking for a laptop. This is purely Vista/XP against those screen macs.

Posted by Stalolin

Then I'd probably say "try out the screen Mac".

It's more portable than a regular desktop considering everything you need is inside it. Unless you aren't going to be moving it at all and aren't like me and go to LA- oh **** wait it's a mac haha oh wow it's too late for this stuff

Tell you what, I'll see if I can play with the screen Mac tomorrow and see if I find it more enjoyable than using XP. Then I'll get back to you on that.

Cool, appreciated. And yeah, I don't like PC gaming, so that doesn't really factor into it for me, otherwise I probably wouldn't even consider a mac. Ever.

Posted by Lord of Spam

What are you going to be using it for? If you're going to fail at alife and not pla pc games, and like having a computer meant for total retards that has little to no software outsie of apples ****ty proprietary stuff, then sure, be like all the other idiot masses who think OOO SHINEY=GOOD. If, however, you want a machine that you can work on, upgrade, and fix with any degree of eash, go with a pc.

Plus, i mean, one mouse button? wtf?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just remember, if you **** around with system files or internal components, warranty = NO when it comes to Macs, in my experience.

Personally, I'd get one of those deals where you buy an XP machine with a 'free Vista upgrade' - both my machines are entitled to Vista, but I'm holding out until service pack one or some kind of really good update. Like Miso says, Vista is really fukken condescending, and that's grated on my nerves.

You might want to consider an Intel Mac, then you could run both XP and OS X on the one machine.

Aren't the new iMacs (screen macs) intel?

But yeah, I really don't give a **** about upgrading my computer, working on it, or doing anything advanced. I do that for a living and I don't have the personal passion to do it on my own computer. I've never even opened this computer unless it's to dust it out. Since I don't enjoy PC gaming, upgrading the video card or mother board or anything else has seemed like a waste of time and money. All I do on this computer is use the internet, listen to music, and watch videos. And apparently that's all a mac is good for, but it does it well.

Anywho, like I said, the only reason I'm considering a Mac is because, at this point, I'm sick of Windows. It's not like I'm buying it because it looks nice (lol dell case and massive off-white CRT), I just don't like the way XP runs anymore, and I sure as hell don't like the way Vista handles itself. But if a mac really isn't that great, I'll settle for a more powerful machine running the same thing I have for the past four years, XP.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If that's all you're going to do, get the Mac.

Just don't come crying to us if you ever want to mod it. :mad:

So, five years down the road when I'll just buy a new computer anyways. Kinda like what happened with this dell.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I've had this PC since 2004, upgraded the 512MB RAM to 1GB, and then 2GB so I could use it as a server for GMod and the Zombies! mod. Just got a pretty hot laptop at Christmas, so I should be okay until 2011-ish. :cool:

Posted by maian

I hate Macs :(

I'm still using a family comuter. :cookie: We got a new one last yearish when it blue screened on us and had to get a new harddrive. Rather, we just got a new one. Granted, it was one of the $300 bundle packs (printer included), but it's been doing me well. It's certainly fast enough.

My advice shouldn't really be listened to, since I just hate Macs so much. :) I would buy a Windows anyday. I like the interface more, the way things work, and having a bloody right click.

Posted by Slade

If all you want is internet, music, and videos, use a Mac. I'd even say Macs are superior when it comes to lots of good audio editing and DJ programs, but I guess you don't care about those either. Macs have good programs available, as far as I know, for all that basic stuff. If you don't care about gaming GO4IT.

And there is a right click. Christ, I have a Logitech USB mouse plugged into this one right now, and I can inform you that the right click is fully functional.

See, look.

BUT IT DOESN'T COME STANDARD LOL

anywho, I'll take this all into account and research it a bit. That, or wait until Leopard comes out and make my decision then. Vista shouldn't suck as much either.

Posted by The Judge

Remove my post and I remove your thread.

Posted by Ant

THE JUDGE HAS SPOKEN!

BOO HOO I'M THE JUDGE I POST HIGHLY IRRELEVANT THINGS AND COMPLAIN WHEN THEY GET DELETED WAH WAH WAH

The thread's done anyways. **** off.

Posted by Ant

wait, why did you delete mine? :( it was very sarcastic and witty as f[COLOR="Lime"]u[/COLOR]ck

woops, i'll undelete it :(

Posted by Philsdad

If you're interested in using OSX without wasting all your money on a mac, just build a good PC and get an extra HDD. Then try out this: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3404104/MAC.OS.X.PC.ALPHA.2-KOTR_(_modded_OSX86_)

It's a hacked OSX ISO that will allow you to install it on a PC as long as your processor supports it. My friend has OSX running on his PC through this mod and it's pretty nice. You could always dual boot with your Windows of choice.