I have the glitched graphics problem, but something to add

Posted by hammyface

Hey guys, great forum. I still have my same virtual boy from 1995 and turned it on the other day to the dredded problem that you guys here post a fix for. However, I looked at the picture here in the fix tutorial and noticed mine does not look like it's seperating at all from the rubber glue as shown.. As a matter of fact, it looks extremely tight on mine. Is there something I may be missing here I should look into before I go cooking this thing? Thanks!!

Posted by lameboyadvance

Looking tight doesn't necessarily mean that it is. A test would be to press and hold the cable against the board with your finger and see if that helps any.

And from what I've been hearing the oven thing seems to work, but personally I'm also not too keen on putting my LEDs in the oven. I still have a spare one that works until I know for sure the oven won't hurt anything.

Let us know how it turns out.

Posted by hammyface

I've been trying for 3 hours and still can't get it.

I put them in a preheated (to 200) degree oven for about 4 minutes, the cables flaten completely. I take them out, quickly press against where the instructions say to, and apply the tape.

I can't get this working for the life of me. Graphics are still glitched. Any help? :(

Posted by lameboyadvance

This is the first case I've heard of where reheating the glue doesn't fix the problem.

Can you describe what kind of glitching you are experiencing?

...If you have access to IRC you may want to join #virtualboy on an EFNet server. DogP and others usually hang out there. The place can be pretty quiet though so you may want to try different times of the day to see if anyone else has come online.

Posted by hammyface

It's definitely the glitched problem everyone has, I am simply doing something wrong. Maybe I should be cooking it for more than 4 or 5 minutes?

Posted by lameboyadvance

...You could try heating the cable for the LED on the opposite side. IIRC both sides get the same signal, which may mean the problem may be the other side interfering with that side.

...But then again I'm probably wrong. As long as you don't melt the LED it shouldn't hurt to try.