Music Stereotypes

Posted by Arcadios

Much to our dismay, the general public first think of stereotypes when it comes to music genres. Like how Hip Hop and Rap talk only of luxuries, women, drug dealing and crime and how if the genre of Metal or anything related, screamo comes up first.

Do these stereotypes irritate you and what others are there?

I get ****ed at times when that's the only thing people think of when it comes to Hip Hop. Society can only see the surface of it even thou it goes deeper than that. :(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Couldn't give a ****. And I mainly listen to metal, which probably gets the shortest stick of the lot.

Posted by Shade

People think I'm emo because I listen to Dream Theater. It makes me laugh.

Posted by Omni

Probably the automatic association of drugs with psychedelic music, which I guess makes some sense, and that my love of grungy metal from the 90's like Soundgarden and Alice In Chains means I'm filled with some kind of teenage angst, which I don't think is very accurate at all. I honestly don't give a ****.

Posted by WackoHater2

Doesn't really bother me since most of the ridicule from my musical taste comes from people on VGC.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Panic: Doesn't really bother me since most of the ridicule from my musical taste comes from people on VGC.

because you're mainstream duh this topic doesn't concern you

"What do you listen to?"
"Metal"
"You mean like Slipknot and stuff like that?"

:(:(:(

Posted by rivercitytecmo

most people mention screamo first when hearing of metal?

Posted by Hyper

Quoting rivercitytecmo: most people mention screamo first when hearing of metal?

Yeah. Maybe not most people, but many.

Posted by Omni

I hate people who think that **** is metal. It's garbage.

Posted by WackoHater2

Slipknot is metal. A lot of people call it nu-metal or fake metal. There is one key word there though: metal. And I'm waiting for derep from one of you gaytards.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Panic: Slipknot is metal. A lot of people call it nu-metal or fake metal. There is one key word there though: metal.

No, shut the **** up because you have no clue what you are talking about. Nu-metal isn't metal. Metalcore isn't metal. Metal is metal. Slipknot, Korn, and the like are all as metal as Nirvana. Like grunge, nu-metal is just a different form of heavy music separate from heavy metal. Metal has virtuosity, solos, and songs that don't go verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus. Metal doesn't incorporate turntables.

and i really dont feel like saying anything more on the subject because it's been overdone all ready. just know that you are wrong.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

What he said.

Quoted post: No, shut the **** up because you have no clue what you are talking about. Nu-metal isn't metal. Metalcore isn't metal. Metal is metal. Slipknot, Korn, and the like are all as metal as Nirvana. Like grunge, nu-metal is just a different form of heavy music separate from heavy metal. Metal has virtuosity, solos, and songs that don't go verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus. Metal doesn't incorporate turntables.

Sorry, but nu-metal, as a genre, is metal. The metal you listen to has virtuosity, solos, and songs that don't go verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus. But those things don't make metal metal. Metal incorporates everything from violins, to saxophones, to turntables and everything in between. If you can't hear the groove metal in Slipknot or various other thrash elements in the genre then I think you have a very elitist view of metal as a whole.

Posted by Hyper

Nu metal is to metal as pop is to hard rock. =/

Except by definition nu-metal is metal, and by definition pop isn't rock. lol logic

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Panic: Slipknot is metal. A lot of people call it nu-metal or fake metal. There is one key word there though: metal. And I'm waiting for derep from one of you gaytards.

Shut the **** up you little whiny wigger emo turd. I'm going to take a steaming **** on your chest while you sleep and I'll tell you to listen to your ****ing so-called metal from there. Wait and bleed and wake up and smell the massive boiling feces dripping down your fat, revolting face. Then I'll impale that troll of a bloated she-whale you call a girlfriend on my four-foot thorncock of the beyond and use her as a flavoured prophylactic while Beelzebub fellates me.

Blubber flavour.

Nu metal is not metal. Never was/will be metal. People who say otherwise are cocksockets. If you're about to walk out and call me an elitist for saying that, then maybe I ought to reconsider my view so people won't look at my residual self-image and think "oh no an elitist!". I'm FAR too self-conscious for that. Fleetwood Mac are heavy metal. Snoop Dogg is power metal. The Beach Boys are DEFINITELY goregrind. I CAN SAY THIS BECAUSE I'M NOT AN ELITIST AND I'M IN TUNE WITH MY SURROUNDINGS!!!!

Guys I really hope you don't think I'm an elitist! That really would be the worst thing ever.

:rolleyes: It wasn't an insult, it's just the wrong way to view the subject, especially when you believe it's fact.

Posted by G-Sides

i think that we can have subgenres of metal and have both metal and numetal fall into them :s metal itself is different than numetal but i wouldn't consider the two near opposites like some of you are trying to imply, and both metal&numetal need to fall under the same category.

and if you wanted to be even broader, metal and all of its subgenres could fall under the "rock" category when it comes down to it.

Right, nu-metal is a subgenre of metal. I don't think anyone thought differently. And yeah, metal is a genre of rock though that doesn't really apply.

Oh, and metalcore is also a subgenre of metal. I mean, metal is in the ****ing name for a reason, just like nu-metal.

Posted by GameMiestro

I don't like the stereotype that video game soundtracks are just cheap crap to keep your ears busy. I hear this just as often with casual gamers as with non-gamers. It's just not true anymore- most modern video game music is as good as the tunes "real" musicians create.

The most recent example of CD-worthy music in games that I remember is "The Gears Go Awry" and "Dance of Sadness" in Castlevania: PoR (look in the sound test).

Posted by rivercitytecmo

why the hell are you retards wasting your time arguing about what's metal? here's a tip: if it sucks out loud, it's metal.

vampy's right, as usual.

but seriously, who the fuck mentions 'screamo' first when hearing 'metal'?

Posted by Hyper

Quoting rivercitytecmo: why the hell are you retards wasting your time arguing about what's metal? here's a tip: if it sucks out loud, it's metal.

vampy's right, as usual.

but seriously, who the fuck mentions 'screamo' first when hearing 'metal'?

Teenage girls.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:
I mean, metal is in the ****ing name

Good Charlotte has the word "good" in it.

I don't consider nu-metal as metal, btw.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Hyper: Teenage girls.

so this entire music thread spawned because of the opinion of teenage girls?

Posted by Omni

Yeah, Panic is a teenage girl after all, and it seems to be mostly his opinions on music in here.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting rivercitytecmo: so this entire music thread spawned because of the opinion of teenage girls?

This is a thread about musical stereotypes. One stereotype of metal music is that it's all screamo. Teenage girls believe this stereotype. I fail to see where I went wrong!

Posted by MarioStar

I bleed metal.

Quoted post: Good Charlotte has the word "good" in it.

I don't consider nu-metal as metal, btw.

lololol ur clevr. But nu-metal is still metal :)

Posted by Raptor

Most of the people where I live are simple and sheltered and have never even heard of a good three-quarters of the genres I listen to, so I don't typically have to deal with too much moronic stereotyping until I go online.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: lololol ur clevr. But nu-metal is still metal :)

thx.

I was kidding, by the way.

Posted by Fate

indie =/= emo

Posted by Klarth

Indie =/= genre

Posted by Fate

That too.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

no. indie is a genre. it doesn't mean "independent". it's just "indie".

lol words taking on different meanings? never heard of that happening before.

Posted by Fate

I don't know much about music, but I always assumed "indie" meant "independent". But I have heard of people referring those types of bands as "indie" and is used more like an adjective, not as a release format.

Wouldn't The Killers, The Bravery, or Lola Ray be considered "indie"?

Yeah, indie rock.

Posted by Klarth

Bands which formerly released music independently, after joining a label, are no longer indie.

Arctic Cold Killer Ferdinand Service != indie. They're all pop rock. There is no such thing as an "indie sound"; just because the bands adopt a similar style does not mean they belong to an entirely new genre. It's just a trendy sound that's been popularised recently, so more bands are trying to reach mainstream appeal with it.

Now, if their labels dropped them, THEN they'd be indie. Until then: no.

Posted by Fate

I've never heard of an independent metal band being called "indie" before! :cookie:

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://www.machinaesupremacy.com/]That's because you don't pay attention to the metal scene, dear![/url]

Okay they signed to Spinefarm not long ago so they don't qualify anymore, but HAHA I STILL WIN.

Posted by Fate

But the word "indie" would be used as "independent" in this case, not "indie" as in the other definitions I've heard.

indie = independent
indie = a specific sound and genre.

It's both, not just one or the other. The term indie has been used enough outside of its original definition to mean something else entirely.

Posted by Shade

I still hate it when people pass off indie as a genre.

Posted by Slade

I hear people refer to local bands and such as having an indie sound, but then I wonder what that means. Besides, of course, that the person speaking couldn't think of a more descriptive word to use.

Posted by Shade

Because indie should never be considered a genre. =\

Posted by rivercitytecmo

why not? how is indie not a genre?

Yeah, I've gotta ask the same thing. It's a valid description.

Posted by Omni

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock[/URL]

Anyone who thinks indie isn't a genre, read this.

That, and if genres like "goregrind" and "apocalyptic folk" can exist, why not "indie"?

Posted by Shade

Quoting Pretty Hate Machine: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock[/URL]

Anyone who thinks indie isn't a genre, read this.

Here's a direct quote from that article.

[quote=Wiki]"Indie rock" is shorthand for "independent rock", for many of its artists are unsigned or signed to independent record labels, rather than major record labels. It is not strictly a genre of music (although the term is often used to reference the sound of specific bands and the bands they have influenced)

Posted by Gollum

Not taking sides, but I'd like to point out that wikipedia is not exactly the fact database of the world.

Posted by Shade

It's usually pretty accurate, from my experience with it.

"not strictly" look it up.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

anyone can edit it. if i wanted to write "omg indie is totally a genre and shade doesnt know jack" i could and it'd probably be up there for a few days.

Posted by Omni

I "vandalized" the Richard Simmons article and it was like that for about a week. Now it's protected.

Posted by fates warning

When I say I listen to metal (progressive metal), the general public believes this encompasses ****knot, underoath, ect. However, this ignorance does serve a purpose in that it helps me seperate the faggots from the cool people, when choosing friends.

Huh, that's pretty shallow. But a metal stereotype nonetheless. Good job in being hypocritical.

Posted by fates warning

Hypocritical or not, it works to a point. And even if they do become my freind later, there will never be a discussion about music, because I will be unable to stop myself from laughing when they mention 50 cent as an "artist".

oh btw, was that post why I was warned? I was just wondering, dont want to be too much of an *** my first few posts :)

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting fates warning:
oh btw, was that post why I was warned? I was just wondering, dont want to be too much of an *** my first few posts :)

too late, presuming the three asterisks are masking the word "retard".

Posted by Kit

For some reason, over 60% of my school thinks that all music that isn't some sort of remix of a stolen song with a beat and somebody talking really fast added to it is crap. The school let somebody act as an MC to Dance music in the hall before the Christmas Holidays and the people that were there were either rotating their arms or standing around like miserable turds.

Posted by fates warning

Quoting Kit: For some reason, over 60% of my school thinks that all music that isn't some sort of remix of a stolen song with a beat and somebody talking really fast added to it is crap.

Theres this song called "cupids chokehold" by some bad mainstream band, with lyrics taken from Supertramp's Breakfast In America. I pointed out this fact to the youtube and high school community, and was flamed instantly :p

I like the song "Take A Look At My Girlfriend" by Gym Class Heroes just because it uses Supertramp lyrics and samples. I adore Supertramp.

Posted by fates warning

I guess they are cool enough to sample a Supertramp song, but still, just not my kind of music. I proudly have several supertramp albums in my record collection.

Yeah, same here. I actually got to see them live, and it was easily one of the best shows I've seen.

Posted by Oforia

I love it how many blacks who listen to rap music automatically associate metal with being satanic.

holy **** I just happened to be listening to supertramp as I was reading your posts! =O

Posted by fates warning

In my art class we are allowed to bring in our own cds to listen to in class. I brought in some Rammstein. When it played out, all the blacks started complaining about how Rammstein is "devil worship" music, and stupidly exclaiming "I feel like cutting myself". Actually, it was rather amusing.

Posted by Omni

Hey, Vampiro, I didn't know you liked Supertramp.

I'm not really into rap, but Arc has sent me a lot of hip-hop and R&B songs that I thought were okay for a few listens. It's not that bad, except for the really stupid gangsta songs about bling and hoes.

I also don't like the stereotype of metal being devil music, because if you listen to a lot of the metal that actually inspired those beliefs, a ton of it is actually about drugs.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting fates warning: In my art class we are allowed to bring in our own cds to listen to in class. I brought in some Rammstein. When it played out, all the blacks started complaining about how Rammstein is "devil worship" music, and stupidly exclaiming "I feel like cutting myself". Actually, it was rather amusing.

Yes, it is obvious that they are completely and utterly mistaken. Actually, Rammstein is "homosexual incestuous pederast" music. Literally, check out the translated lyrics sometime. I've heard quite a few people in Germany with good taste in music hate Rammstein and consider it positively laughable that they became so popular in America, where most non-German speakers have no idea how shallow the lyrics are.

Posted by Omni

Yeah, I thinking that the singer of Rammstein looked and acted gay the first time I ever saw or heard of them, which was in a concert video a friend of mine showed me. He was all sweaty and shirtless whipping himself with a leather band or something like that. A few years later, I found the translated lyrics to some of their songs on the internet and sent them to him. I've never really listened to them.

Posted by Oforia

Some of their songs sound cool though.

Quoted post: where most non-German speakers have no idea how shallow the lyrics are.

The music itself is fairly shallow. Which is right down Mainstream-America's alley.

Quoted post:
I also don't like the stereotype of metal being devil music, because if you listen to a lot of the metal that actually inspired those beliefs, a ton of it is actually about drugs.

A ton of it is a lot of things. But the big bands often used satanic imagery to stir **** up and get attention. In a sense, they're right then... if this was thirty years ago. Blacks of all people should realise things change over time.

Posted by fates warning

I actually find the shallow lyrics amusing in many cases. And IDK how mainstream they are, judging by the reaction of my entire class.