Hip-Hop and Rap

Posted by Arcadios

Many people have mixed feelings toward this certain genre.
I personally like rap even though it has alot of sterotypical things about the music.
I'd like to know your views on this genre.

Posted by Roger Smith

I'll listen to rap once in a while. Rappers like 2pac, DMX, Lil' Wayne, and Snoop Dog have some songs I like. But I don't like that stupid heavy hardcore shit, it sounds fukken retarded.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

I am a fan of several genres, rap being one of them. I could see why someone dont like rap, but thats their opinion. I mean when you think about it, there is a big difference between country and rap, which is why a lot of people dont like one or the other...I for one am not a big fan of country.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I can deal with it, but its not my number one choice. I like the more underground mellow artists who actually put effort into their rhymes. My roommate used to play it constantly, so it kinda grew on me the more I heard. That being said, I also like the hilariously stupid stuff. I've been known to drive around trying to look as awkward as possible while blaring stuff like "chevy ridin hot" and "hata blockas" (by ricky ross and acafool, respectively). I got started on Lil Jon and NWA, so that should give you an idea on how diverse my tastes are.

Also, you cant forget nerdcore. Visit the following sites, and you'll get what I mean:

[url]www.mchawking.com[/url]
[url]www.mcchris.com[/url]
[url]www.futuristicsexrobotz.com/[/url]

I've heard of another band called optimus rhyme, but havent been able to get ahold of any of their work, and I have one song by a guy named YT cracka called "get on my level" which contains the best line ever from any song period:

you aint on my level
you're just a noob with a stick
you need a saving throw
just to get off my dick

Classic:cool:

Posted by Arcadios

I would have to say my most favorable type of track would be a diss track.It's full on controversy but I like that.
I wouldn't favor any rapper, when I listen to diss tracks I hear both sides or all points of views.

Posted by XeroPercent

I love hip-hop, as in J5, Blackalicious, Hieroglyphics, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, ect. I like other rap too, but not as much.

Posted by Klarth

I listen to Body Count. And that's it.

Trip-hop > hip-hop.

Posted by WackoHater2

I love rap music. I have for the longest time. I used to sit with my uncle in his room when I was younger, and he'd listen to music videos. I'd listen to them, but never really got into it. The first rap song I ever liked was by Busta Rhymes. It was called "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See"

Posted by XeroPercent

Song that spawned my rap love,

D12 - Fight Music

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Quoting XeroPercent: Song that spawned my rap love,

D12 - Fight Music

Good Song...Im a fan of D12. Purple Pills = Good Stuff IMO

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I don't listen to it, but I respect it.

It's just not what I like to hear most of the time. Though, there are a few songs here and there that I like to hear from time to time.

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Sapphire Rose: I don't listen to it, but I respect it.

It's just not what I like to hear most of the time. Though, there are a few songs here and there that I like to hear from time to time.

I am a fan of rap, but I definatley respect that point of view. I can't stand people, though, who just claim "rap sucks, it's not music". Obviously they havn't heard much hip-hop music, or they're just ignorant.

Posted by Kamek

Being from New York, rap has definitely become part of my culture, and how I grew up. I rememeber the epic Nas, Jay-Z battle, and listening to Hot 97 and hearing Jay practically cry on air after Ether dropped.

I can see why so many people dislike rap these days. This South in my opinion is KILLING rap. With "Laffy TAffy" and other garbage records, Lil John's crunk movement, everyone just cares about getting blasted and partying.

If you're looking for some good rap from new rappers , look for Lupe Fiasco. I'm telling you this kid is gonna be huge. Just listen to the "Switch Freestyle" and you'll be hooked. "American Terrorist", "And He gets the girl" "day dreams" and "hurts me so" are other great tracks, especially the last one.

I made a thread about Pete Philly and Perquisite's awesome album "Mindstate" with each track describing a different mindstate.

Everyone who is a fan of rap, has to listen to "Illmatic". Greatest rap album of all time in my opinion, and arguably the most revolutionary rap album of the 90s.

Nas, Jay-Z, Lupe, Blackstar, Common, any member of the Native Tongues Posse and others should be there to convince you that rap isn't all about waht you hear on the radio. Sure Nas and Jay had their share of commercial hits, but there are a lot better and deeper tracks. Other rappers talk about different things than Guns and Hos etc. Check out Little Brother for instance. I can go on and on about rap..

Posted by Arcadios

Two track I continuously play is "Dead Presidents" and "N.Y. State of Mind".
I find them to be classics along with some songs from The Notorious B.I.G. on his album "Ready to Die".

Posted by XeroPercent

Illmatic is classic, but I'm more into the "hip-hop" sound so Phernology and The Tipping Point are my 2 favorite albums, both by the Roots.

Common is great too, Kamek, I'd love some more recomendations of new stuff if you got 'em.

Posted by WackoHater2

Someone earlier said they like diss tracks. Anyone ever heard 300 Bars by The Game. G-Unit diss. Its pretty good. 18 minutes long.

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting XeroPercent: I love hip-hop, as in J5, Blackalicious, Hieroglyphics, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, ect. I like other rap too, but not as much.

YES! J5. Jurassic 5 is amazing.

Posted by Crazy K

I've fallen out of it quite a bit. There are some songs I would listen to, but to me, most of the new stuff is just utter crap.

Posted by Fate

I don't listen to rap much, so I don't bother for those underground types.

Ludacris is really catchy. I like his lyrics. DMX and Kanye I really like, too.

Posted by WackoHater2

Kanye West and DMX have some amazing songs. Ludacris has a few good ones, but they get old quick.

Posted by Crazy K

I never really liked DMX, I don't like Kanye West that much either. But I kind grew up listening to the likes of Eminem and so forth. 2Pac is one of my faves really. But other then that Rap is not a genre I could care to much for. If I listen to rap it's usually Texas rap (my cousin got me into it) and or Lil Wyte.

Posted by WackoHater2

Eminem is and always will be my favorite rapper. I've only heard one of Lil' Wyte's songs. I dont remember what it was called.. it was alright though.

Posted by Ch

I LOVE the old s[COLOR="White"]hit[/COLOR]. Some new stuff is alright but the old-school stuff like A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Cypress Hill, and N.W.A kick as[COLOR="White"]s[/COLOR].

Posted by XeroPercent

N.W.A. was great, I love Cube's stuff from back then. "A Good Day" is one of my personal favorites.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Mr.Nintendo]Two track I continuously play is "Dead Presidents" and "N.Y. State of Mind".
I find them to be classics along with some songs from The Notorious B.I.G. on his album "Ready to Die".

Reasonable Doubt is a great album, a classic for sure, but It had almost no relevance when it first dropped. Jay-Z is a master mind at manipulating the media. He throws a concert celebrating this album, and it's like he gives off the impression that it was a *** send. He's a brilliant guy though. Can't knock his hustle. The Black Album was the first media created 5 mic album I've ever seen.

Dead Presidents is a classic. D'Evils was too. DJ Premier = greatest old school hip hop producer. I just love his style

NY State of Mind is an amazing track: Illmatic is classic, but I'm more into the "hip-hop" sound so Phernology and The Tipping Point are my 2 favorite albums, both by the Roots.

Common is great too, Kamek, I'd love some more recomendations of new stuff if you got 'em.

No doubt, my man. I love the roots. I think Black Though is a HIGHLY underrated MC, and ?uestlove is one of the best drummers I've ever heard. I love his musical vision. Phernology was a great album. I loved Seed 2.0. Had that neo soul kinda vibe to it.

I'll definitely put you on some more stuff when I get back from work tomorrow. It's 2 AM and here I am on VGC :p.

Hopefully this thread can evolve into a little more than just the music. I was always interested in the art, breaking, and just the over all culture of hip hop. It's not all guns and ho's, don't let MTV,BET or whatever, brainwash you.

By the way Chepito I love your style. Tribe Called Quest is awesome, and old Wu Tang pretty nice too. I loved the track "Impossible". Go check for that. Ghostface's verse on it was really emotional.

"He pointed to the charm on his neck/
and with his last bit of energy left/
told me rock it with respect/"

The first verse is fire too.

I'll put everyone on some stuff I like once I come back tomorrow :).

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Panic619: Someone earlier said they like diss tracks. Anyone ever heard 300 Bars by The Game. G-Unit diss. Its pretty good. 18 minutes long.

If you're into modern rap then I think you've heard of 300 bars and runnin'.
I would have to say The Game is a lyrical genius for such an assualt against his former camp.

Recently I've been anxious to hear Nas' new album, Hip-Hop is Dead, which is sson to be released. I've been thinking about buying Nas' other albums since Ilike him so much.
I only one I have from him is Illmatic.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting XeroPercent: N.W.A. was great, I love Cube's stuff from back then. "A Good Day" is one of my personal favorites.

I just happened to be listening to that when I read your post. Great song.

Posted by Lord of Spam

How could I forget cypress hill.:(

Also, Blueberry yum yum (by ludacris) is by far the best song to listen to while driving high.

Posted by Klarth

Oh shi- Body Count is the only act I listen to frequently, but I don't mind Jurassic 5 at all. "A Day At The Races" is a ****ing KILLER song.

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Klarth: Oh shi- Body Count is the only act I listen to frequently, but I don't mind Jurassic 5 at all. "A Day At The Races" is a ****ing KILLER song.

Yeah it is, Big Daddy Kane man...

Speaking of J5, If any of you have not heard anything off of [url=http://www.battleaxerecords.com/battle/index-battle-flash.html]Battleaxe Records[/url] (i.e. Swollen Members, Sweatshop Union, Buc Fifty, Son Doobie, Moka Only, ect.) check them out, one of the best labels going if you ask me. Sweatshop is amazing.

Posted by Arcadios

I don't listen to much old school rap but I'm going to get a couple of Nas' albums since I like him and I believe Stillmatic is a must.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: I don't listen to much old school rap but I'm going to get a couple of Nas' albums since I like him and I believe Stillmatic is a must.

Stillmatic is definitely a must for any Nas fan's catalogue. Rewind is a crazy track, Ether, is well, Ether, You're Da Man was great lyrically. Definitely go obtain that.

Posted by Arcadios

I've gotten 4 CD's in the past two days.
It Was Written
Nastradamus
Stillmatic
Ghost Unit

I've listened to It Was Written but I'm going to hold out on Nastradamus and Stillmatic till I get I Am because I going to listen to them by the dates they were released in.

Posted by XeroPercent

I'm not that big a Nas fan I guess. Illmatic was the only album I though was worth buying.

Posted by Arcadios

Well I don't like lil' Wayne much.
I bought his CD Tha Carter II but I didn't like it.
The only reson I bought it was because of the track Fireman.

Posted by WackoHater2

Shh, the fireman comin'

Posted by XeroPercent

Stop supporting free-loading rappers....

Posted by WackoHater2

What would you consider free-loading rappers?

Posted by Arcadios

Which rap albums would you consider a must own?
Get Rich Or Die Tryin'
Illmatic
Reasonable Doubt
Ready To Die
Black Album
Duets Final Chapter
College Dropout
Late Registration
The Documentary

Those are the CD's that I have that I consider a must own.

Posted by WackoHater2

Agreed on Get Rich or Die Tryin', Black Album, College Dropout, Late Registration, The Documentary.

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Panic: What would you consider free-loading rappers?

Rappers who put out albums with one or two catchy tracks, and then a bunch of filler.

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: Which rap albums would you consider a must own?

The Roots
Illidelph-Halflife
Phernology
The Tipping Point

Sweatshop Union
Local 604
Natural Progression

Nas
Illmatic

Dr. Dre
The Chronic
Chronic 2001

Jurassic 5
Power in Numbers
Quality Control

Run DMC
Raising Hell

Tribe Called Quest
Low End Theory

Dilated Peoples
20/20

...all I got off the top of my head right now

Posted by WackoHater2

Yeah, then there are quite a few free-loading rappers. I dont consider Lil' Wayne to be one though. I like a lot of his songs.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Panic: Yeah, then there are quite a few free-loading rappers. I dont consider Lil' Wayne to be one though. I like a lot of his songs.

I would go the other way on that one.
Another rapper I don't like is Fat Joe.
Cam'ron, I like but his last album wasen't as good as Purple Haze and Killa Season is his lowest selling CD by far.

Posted by WackoHater2

I dont like Fat Joe or Cam'ron.

One of my must have albums is "You Can't See Me" by John Cena. Every song on there I like.

Posted by XeroPercent

I make it a point to not buy any album that isn't at least 75% great songs

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Panic: I dont like Fat Joe or Cam'ron.

One of my must have albums is "You Can't See Me" by John Cena. Every song on there I like.

I like the beat on that track.

Quoting XeroPercent: I make it a point to not buy any album that isn't at least 75% great songs

Hmm...I buy an album if I like just one song on it.
The only one I regret buying with my methods is Tha Carter II.

Posted by WackoHater2

The beat on the song "You Can't See Me" is alright, but it gets old after a while. He has a ton of other good songs in there. If you can find it in a store, I'd suggest buying it. Or if you wanna download it. I downloaded the whole albums. Hell, if you want, I can send you a burned one in the mail.

Posted by NeXidala

When it comes to music, I'm very versatile. My music interest depends on the song and not the genre. Even though, I prefer rock, I still love listening to rap and hip hop. The only thing I can't stand is ridicoulsly slow songs. About 5 seconds into slow songs I get bored.
[spoiler] But it's different when I'm with a guy[/spoiler]

Posted by XeroPercent

You are supporting bad music...

(Up 2 spots)

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting XeroPercent: You are supporting bad music...

Is that towards her mentioning of rock?

Posted by WackoHater2

I also dont listen depending on genre. I wont listen to like gospel or opera though. I just dont like any of it. But I love rock, rap, emo, metal, reggae, punk, hip-hop, trip-hop, pop, alternative, the list could just go on and on and on.

Posted by Arcadios

I usually just stick with Rap, Metal, Reggae and Reggeton.
I guess who can put in soundtracks with that like instrumentals and music from games.

Posted by WackoHater2

You dont like Cena, Xero?

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: Hmm...I buy an album if I like just one song on it.

Artists today depend on that, which is why there is so much bad music out there.

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Panic: You dont like Cena, Xero?

I was refering to buying a cd for one good song.

Never heard Cena.

Posted by Arcadios

I felt like The Massacre wasen't anywhere close to Get Rich Or Die Tryin'.
Hopefully 50 gets back to his roots instead of doing groupie songs and such.

Posted by WackoHater2

Also agreed, although I like both albums.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: I felt like The Massacre wasen't anywhere close to Get Rich Or Die Tryin'.
Hopefully 50 gets back to his roots instead of doing groupie songs and such.

Haven't heard or seen 50 cent recently. Could this mean a new album?

Posted by Arcadios

Me too but his first surpassed his second by miles.

[quote=NeXidala]Haven't heard or seen 50 cent recently. Could this mean a new album?
He's waiting for Banks to release his then I think Buck's in line.

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting NeXidala: Haven't heard or seen 50 cent recently. Could this mean a new album?

I think a new movie accually.

Posted by Arcadios

That too.
I think he's on a movie with Nicolas Cage.

Posted by NeXidala

I, for some reason, don't like it when big buff rappers start getting into making movies. They'll just end up like the big buff guy from 'White Chicks' who had a crush on one of the "White girls". HA! I just saw Benchwarmers, the guy was in it, every movie he keeps getting softer, but I love him because he is hilarious!

Posted by The Pain

I'v never been the kind to listen to rap. It's not because I hate it or anything. It's just not me. I mean if it's on the radio i wont be like "OH MY *** THIS IS SO HORRIBLE I THINK MY EARS WILL EXPLODE!". I can tolerate it but I'd much rather listen to rock.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting NeXidala: I, for some reason, don't like it when big buff rappers start getting into making movies. They'll just end up like the big buff guy from 'White Chicks' who had a crush on one of the "White girls". HA! I just saw Benchwarmers, the guy was in it, every movie he keeps getting softer, but I love him because he is hilarious!

I've been meaning to watch Get rich the movie for sometime but haven't had the balls to get off my lazy *** and get it.

Posted by XeroPercent

It's a great flick IMO

Posted by Arcadios

I wouldn't say it is better then 8 Mile since it is like a clone.

Posted by XeroPercent

I accually think it was better then 8 Mile. Not a clone at all, just a similar basis.

Posted by NeXidala

8 mile is a movie that can't be replaced or multiplied in any way.

Posted by XeroPercent

I loved 8 Mile too, but I really think GRODT was a better movie.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting XeroPercent: I loved 8 Mile too, but I really think GRODT was a better movie.

Well, I didn't really get a chance to see that, so I guess I can't really judge it.

Posted by Arcadios

Neither can I but I have to check it out.
I would check out ATL but K said it was terrible.

K=Crazy K ;)

Posted by WackoHater2

I personally like that buff dude in White Chicks. He is in a ton of movies. He is hilarious too. Cena is gonna be in a movie soon. Called Marine I believe. I may see it.

EDIT: 8 Mile was great!

Posted by XeroPercent

I heard mixed reviews for ATL... still want to see it though.

Posted by WackoHater2

I wanna see Get Rich or Die Tryin', Hustle & Flow, and ATL, no matter what anyone may say about them.

Posted by Arcadios

Hustle and Flow, I'd like to see buyt I can wait for ATL.

Posted by XeroPercent

Hustle and Flow was excellent.

Posted by WackoHater2

I'll be seeing it in the next few days, possibly tomorrow.

Posted by XeroPercent

Terrence Howard is a great actor.

Posted by WackoHater2

Isnt he in Mary J. Blige's newest video? The name of the song I cannot remember at the moment.

Posted by XeroPercent

dunno, but he was in Four Brothers!!!

...and DEAD PRESIDENTS!!!!!1!!one!!!

Posted by Arcadios

I love that new song off of her album with the slowed down version of Dead Presidents.
I'm gonna get the album just cause of it.
Dead Presidents=One of my favorite songs of all time

Posted by WackoHater2

The song by Mary J. Blige is called "Be Without You" and although she isnt a rapper, I loved the movie Cross Roads with Britney Spears. Before anyone says anything, STFU. Lol.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Panic: The song by Mary J. Blige is called "Be Without You" and although she isnt a rapper, I loved the movie Cross Roads with Britney Spears. Before anyone says anything, STFU. Lol.

I find it really funny coming from you, but there is nothing wrong with it. ;)

Posted by XeroPercent

Very guilty-pleasure...

Posted by WackoHater2

Thanks for not being an ass NeXi. Lol. I knew you would understand.

Posted by Arcadios

I think the song from Mary was "Take me as I am".

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Panic: Thanks for not being an ass NeXi. Lol. I knew you would understand.

Is that a hint of sarcasm?

Posted by WackoHater2

Mr. Nintendo: Does she have a video for that song? He didnt sing in the video, he was just in it at the end.

NeXi: Just a hint. ;)

Posted by Arcadios

Not that I heard of.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Panic: NeXi: Just a hint. ;)

I said there was nothing wrong with it! I just said I found it slightly funny, but someone as intellectual as you would know that. ;)

Posted by WackoHater2

Lol. Anyway, I just watched Hustle and Flow. Its an awesome movie! I loved it!

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Panic: Lol. Anyway, I just watched Hustle and Flow. Its an awesome movie! I loved it!

You did? What was it like?

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Panic: Lol. Anyway, I just watched Hustle and Flow. Its an awesome movie! I loved it!

[center]^[/center]

Posted by Forgotten Soul

I have yet to see Hustle and Flow myself, but I am told it
is a great movie. The movies comming out with that rap
style have been very successful in my opinion. 'Get Rich
or Die Trying', '8 Mile', 'ATL', and more..all of these are
great movies and I think will only strengthen the rap
industry's hold on success.

Posted by WackoHater2

I've never seen Get Rich or Die Tryin' but I plan on it. ATL either. But 8 Mile was amazing. One of my all time favorites.

Posted by XeroPercent

Not as much a rap movie, but it does have Andre3000 and Big Boi in it, anyone seen previews for "Idlewild"? Looks really good.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Yes I have, I plan to watch it as well.

'Get Rich or Die Trying' was an excellent movie, probably the best out of all I mentioned. In my opinion of course.

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting XeroPercent: Not as much a rap movie, but it does have Andre3000 and Big Boi in it, anyone seen previews for "Idlewild"? Looks really good.

Yeah, I see the previews a lot. It does look very interesting, though I'm debating whether I should go see it or not...

Posted by Forgotten Soul

Quoting NeXidala: Yeah, I see the previews a lot. It does look very interesting, though I'm debating whether I should go see it or not...

Ah, I wouldnt bother to 'GO' see it, let it come to me. No hurry right?

Posted by NeXidala

Quoting Forgotten Soul: Ah, I wouldnt bother to 'GO' see it, let it come to me. No hurry right?

I guess so....

Posted by Arcadios

Does anybody think there is a highly underrated rapper?

Posted by NeXidala

Lupe Fiasco

Posted by XeroPercent

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: Does anybody think there is a highly underrated rapper?

There are ALOT of underrated rappers...

Posted by Arcadios

Name the one you think is the most underrated then.

Posted by NeXidala

LUPE FIASCO
[spoiler]So much for going to bed Mr.N![/spoiler]

Posted by XeroPercent

Hard call, there's a fine line between underrated and underexposed.
Here's a few that come to mind...

Black Thought
Common
Jemini
Kyprios
Metty the Dirt Merchant
Immortal Technique
Prevail (aka Prev 1)
Mad Child
Chali2na
Akil

plenty more...

Posted by Kamek

Quoting NeXidala: LUPE FIASCO
[spoiler]So much for going to bed Mr.N![/spoiler]

I've been pushing for this guy so hard. I don't think he's underrated anymore, as a matter of fact all of a sudden he has a huge buzz. A year ago when I was putting people on the Switch Freestyle though, everyone was like who? I put a LOT of people on this kid. He's definitely gonna blow up big, I can tell.

After I heard "Hurts Me So" I knew this guy was for real. Food and Liquor will be a classic. Bet on it.

Posted by Apathetic

Hieroglyphics, Jedi Mind Tricks, Idea & Abilities. Just had to find some good stuff .

Posted by NegativeTrend

Examples of good rap: Brotha Lynch Hung, 2Pac, Biggie, UGK, 3 6 Mafia

Posted by WackoHater2

2Pac, Biggie, and Three 6 Mafia are all pretty good. I have the skull shirt that Juicy J wears in the Stay Fly video. They sell them at Forman Mills in green, blue, and orange. I have the green one.

Posted by Arcadios

I'm thinking about buying Pharrel's new album, In My Mind.
Anybody think it's worth it?

Posted by Sterling

I enjoy Jay-Z, Busta, Eminem, Aesop rock, Cannibal ox, Ludacris and Rah digga.
Probably my favourite track ever is 8 miles and runnin' off the 8 mile soundtrack.
It's by Jay-Z and Freeway. But my all time favourite is Eminem.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Mr.Nintendo: I'm thinking about buying Pharrel's new album, In My Mind.
Anybody think it's worth it?

No, not at all. His N.E.R.D. albums were really hot, but In My Mind sounds so uninspired and sounds pretty horrible. Even on the production tip. For a guy with such vision his solo album really disappointed me.

Get "In Search Of.." or "Fly or Die" instead if you're looking for some alternative Pharell stuff.

Posted by WackoHater2

Personally, I dont like Pharrell. I like the song "Drop it Like it's Hot" with Snoop Dogg, but thats it.

Posted by Kamek

Listen to "Maybe" and "Provider" by NERD. I like those tracks. Especially Maybe. For you Lupe fans, Lupe sampled that song for ...And He Gets the Girl, which is in my opinion one of his best songs.

Posted by Arcadios

Well I got I Am... from Nas and I have to saw I loved the Intro and N.Y. State of Mind Pt.2 but it has nothing on the original.

Posted by Kamek

I Am... was a more commercial direction for Nas. Is that the album with "Black Girl Lost" on it? I forget. But DJ Dirty Harry does an AMAZING mix of that song over the "Tell Me" beat off of the best mixtape to come out in ages, Living Legends: Nas. Go get that. It's a crazy mixtape.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Kamek: Is that the album with "Black Girl Lost" on it?

That was on It Was Written and I'm addicted to the track I Gave You Power on that record.
Best track on that album.

I don't have a mixtape store near me. :(
I've been trying to find one but no luck.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: That was on It Was Written and I'm addicted to the track I Gave You Power on that record.
Best track on that album.

I don't have a mixtape store near me. :(
I've been trying to find one but no luck.

Wow, how could I forget that. I Gave You Power, is a CRAZY conceptual song from the point of the gun. When I heard that a couple years back I was like :eek: .

Try [url]www.mixtapetorrents.com[/url]. I think you may find it there. If not and you REALLY REALLY want it, I can hook you up ;).

Posted by WackoHater2

Arcadios sent me N.Y. State of Mind 1 & 2 by Nas last night. They werent bad. I hadnt really listened to Nas before that. He reminds me of Jay-Z. His songs are really good, but so easy to get bored with.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Panic: Arcadios sent me N.Y. State of Mind 1 & 2 by Nas last night. They werent bad. I hadnt really listened to Nas before that. He reminds me of Jay-Z. His songs are really good, but so easy to get bored with.

If he reminds you of Jay, that's because Jay stole his whole flow in the beginning. He used to rap like the Fu-Schnickens and then switched it up to Nas' flow. He really did idolize Nas. I guess that's why he almost cried on Hot 97 back in 01 after Ether dropped.

N.Y. State of mind describes that project lifestyle so well. I don't really find Nas boring. I know a lot of newer listeners to rap don't really like him because of his beat selection. For the most part, they haven't had that mainstream sound at all, so that turns a lot of people off, especially his use of producer Salaam Remi.

I love his beat selection though, especially the DJ Premier tracks. They were rumored to have an album together, but I don't think it'll ever come to be. Too bad, Nas always shines on a Premo track.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Kamek: Try [url]www.mixtapetorrents.com[/url]. I think you may find it there. If not and you REALLY REALLY want it, I can hook you up ;).

The link dosen't show. :(

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: The link dosen't show. :(

Try googling it, I'm not sure if it's the right URL. If not i'll find you the download link soon for the rar.

Posted by Kamek

On a side note, just discovered this rapper. First song I heard from him, but I really like the flow. Content wise it starts off weird, then goes onto criticism of the hip hop lifestyle. The beat is crazy, as usual a Premo laced classic sounding track. Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jLRiCyEvi4&mode=related&search=

If anyone knows about this guy, tell me what you think or have heard about him. I think I just like this track because Premo did the beat. I love his style, the scratching is crazy especially the Jay-Z sample at the end.

Posted by Arcadios

I got a mixtape torrent, thanks. :)
Did Jay-Z really nearly cr when Ether was leaked?

Posted by Kamek

Haha, Jay was on the Angie Martinez show, when the results for the battle were just released giving Nas the victory. He then IMMEDIATELY walks in the studio.

There's an audio clip online and you can hear it in his voice. It's kind of sad really.

Posted by Arcadios

Can I listen to it?
I'd be devistated too if my idol punchs me in the face like that.

Posted by Kamek

I gotta dig deep for that audio. Google it, I'm sure you'll come up with it. Try "Jay gets ethered" or something. Or just look for the Angie Martinez show clip. Good stuff for fans of the battle. By the way as a side note, where in NY are you from?

Posted by WackoHater2

Without realizing it, I have been listening to a song by Nas for the longest time. Its called "U Wanna Be Me" off the 8 Mile Soundtrack. Good song.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Kamek: I gotta dig deep for that audio. Google it, I'm sure you'll come up with it. Try "Jay gets ethered" or something. Or just look for the Angie Martinez show clip. Good stuff for fans of the battle. By the way as a side note, where in NY are you from?

I live in New York state but I actually reside in Long Island.
I'll google it right now. :)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

k, LoS has turned me into a ni[COLOR="White"]g[/COLOR]ger. Recommend me the best and most obscene **** you know of. gogogog!

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Vampiro: k, LoS has turned me into a ni[COLOR="White"]g[/COLOR]ger. Recommend me the best and most obscene **** you know of. gogogog!

50 Cent=Uber nigger

I would highly recomend Nas since he has various subjects to rhyme about.
I enjoy most of his songs with poetry in them.

Posted by WackoHater2

Obsene as in a lot of cursing, or one that is like.. violant?

If you want obsanity, My 1st Single by Eminem. If you want violance, Bitch Please I or II by Eminem.

And not 50 Cent or Eminem. Something actually good, and, you know, fun to listen to.

Posted by Ch

Try some Easy-E or N.W.A ,yo.

Posted by Arcadios

Or Biggie.
I still say Nas thou.
Try his first to albums.
Does anyone here like diss tracks?
I certainly do mostly because I like when rappers fued but they take things to far.

Posted by Kamek

Aside from having the most infamous diss track of all time "Ether" Nas has some nice side shots in his catalogue as well.

He didn't even have to go hard at 50 Cent.

"They say Jada defeated him/
Joe to street for him/
What's left I guess it's for Nas to Ether him/"

That's it. That's all he had to say. He didn't need to go hard to get the point across. Too bad 50 is like an unstoppable force right now in terms of marketability/position.

Some of my other favorite diss tracks are, "The Bridge is Over", "Stillmatic Freestyle" "Eye for an Eye Freestyle", "Rip the Jacker", etc etc I can go on.

By the waaay, Talib Kweli has a new album coming out that I am definitely looking forward to.

Posted by Arcadios

300 Bars and Runnin' has to be my favorite diss.
Nearly 15 mins of pain toward Fifty but I still like 50.
I don't listen to Talib Kweli very often or not at all. :(
I'm trying to get into 2pac because I like Biggie already.
First album from 2pac I'm going to get will be his last under the name Makaveli.
The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: 300 Bars and Runnin' has to be my favorite diss.
Nearly 15 mins of pain toward Fifty but I still like 50.
I don't listen to Talib Kweli very often or not at all. :(
I'm trying to get into 2pac because I like Biggie already.
First album from 2pac I'm going to get will dy his last under the name Makaveli.
The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory

I'm not really a big of a fan of 50 at all. I think his tactic of starting beef to get publicity has gotten old, and his sophomore album wasn't all that good. He bit Ja Rule's entire style then chastized him for doing the same thing? Makes no sense.

Kweli is crazy. Listen to "Reflection Eternal", great album. Even the Beautiful Struggle was pretty nice. His stuff with Mos Def as Blackstar was classic.

Try to get the track "Respiration" ft Common. As a matter of fact, anyone reading this post, get that track. That's an order.

"blastin holes in the night till she bled sunshine..."

Posted by Arcadios

What album is that track from?
The only Common album I have is his latest, Be.

Posted by Kamek

It's not a Common album, it's Blackstar's only album. Pure Fire.

If you only have Common's "BE" I suggest you go out and obtain "Ressurection".
Also you must get the absolute CLASSIC track, "I used to love Her" by Common. The concept was so cool to me.

Posted by Arcadios

I've listened to that song over and over.
I love it. :)

Another track that is a must is One Mic from Nas.
I've started listening to that song yesterday and can't stop.

Posted by Tysis

Quoting Forgotten Soul: Good Song...Im a fan of D12. Purple Pills = Good Stuff IMO

I happen to like D12's 40oz.

Posted by Xenos

In all honestly, am I the only one who gets a headache when I listen to rap/hip-hop? The pounding beat just really ****es me off for some reason and make my temper short. Its worse when I hear some ******* play it in the streets and blast their car stereos.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Xuphansa: Its worse when I hear some ******* play it in the streets and blast their car stereos.

I love that. I would do it if I had a car. I heard someone doing it last night. It was cool.

It's not cool. It's annoying to everyone else. No one appreciates it, no one finds it cool.

Posted by WackoHater2

Quoting Panic: It was cool.

I do.

Could I have possibly meant the vast majority of people on the road, and not the very small majority who love to blast annoying music? Maybe.

Posted by WackoHater2

The vast majority of people in New Jersey think its cool. Except the old people.. but they suck anyway. ****ed old people.

Quoted post: The vast majority of people in New Jersey think its cool.

No they don't.

Posted by WackoHater2

The vast majority of the area in New Jersey where I live think its cool. Holy crap man. I always gotta be so technical with you Vamp.

Posted by Xenos

I hope your hearing loss is greater than my grandmother's in the next few years to come.

Posted by WackoHater2

I'm sure it will be. As soon as I get a car and a job I'll have some loud *** speakers in my car, and I'll have them on all the time.

Vamp: You should definitely check out Jurassic 5.

Will do, sir. Thank ye.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Panic: The vast majority of the area in New Jersey where I live think its cool.

No they don't.

Posted by Klarth

You, sir, were beaten to the punch.

Posted by Arcadios

I bought Nas' God's son yesterdy and I like it alot.
Thugz Mansion and Heaven are some of the highlight of the album.
Thoughts?

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: I bought Nas' God's son yesterdy and I like it alot.
Thugz Mansion and Heaven are some of the highlight of the album.
Thoughts?

If I could ever play the acoustic instrumental to Thugs Mansion I'd be so happy. I like Stillmatic better than ***'s Son and Hip-Hop is Dead is coming out in November so I know that'll be a classic. With a title like that, you HAVE to deliver.

Posted by Arcadios

I'm hyped up for that album.
I would have to say that Nas has become my favorite MC. =)
His flow and way of rhyming is nice and flawless.
Thugz Mansion is similar to We will survive from I Am... but I would have to say We will survive wins over it. =)

Posted by Arcadios

That's the sterotype that is thought of when mentioning rap...even thou it is true. There are alot of rappers who do that, maybe even all of them but there are alot of rappers that are poetic like Tupac and Nas.

Quoted post: There are alot of rappers who do that, maybe even all of them but there are alot of rappers that are poetic like Tupac and Nas.

This sentence makes no sense.

Posted by Arcadios

I just noticed that. :(
Edit*
There are alot of rappers who rap about women and money but there are also very few rappers who use poetry in their rhymes like Tupac and Nas.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Yeah I suppose. I don't really listen to rap so I don't know much names.

Then I don't think you should be talking any smack. Though I can see and understand your generalization, even though more of the modern Rap is about cars, money and girls, I don't really think that's why people listen to Rap. Most of the time, you hear people singing verses or lines of the song because it's just so catchy. I think it's more about the flow and beats, opposed to lyrics and looks when it comes to Rap.

Either way, Old School Rap and Hip-Hop are very different, compared to what it's like now. More like how rough their lives were, and just their backround and where they come from and story type stuff, or just life in general. For happy sort of Rap, I'd recommend you check out Kurtis Blow, if you're interested, of course.

Posted by Arcadios

One thing I'd like to talk about is The Game.
I like his rhyming and everything but it seems like he keeps on taking shots at Jay-Z.
He spoke about it on the track, The Documentary, on his debut album.
He says he dosen't have beef but then he says it again on One Blood.
"You 38 and you still rappin' uhh/
I'm 26 nigga, so is the dubs"

I would considered that a shot at Jay but it seems Jay dosen't take any action like what happened with Cassidy.
I think Jay should responded before they start walking all over him.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: One thing I'd like to talk about is The Game.
I like his rhyming and everything but it seems like he keeps on taking shots at Jay-Z.
He spoke about it on the track, The Documentary, on his debut album.
He says he dosen't have beef but then he says it again on One Blood.
"You 38 and you still rappin' uhh/
I'm 26 nigga, so is the dubs"

I would considered that a shot at Jay but it seems Jay dosen't take any action like what happened with Cassidy.
I think Jay should responded before they start walking all over him.

Cassidy didn't diss Jay, Camron did, and it was smart of him not to retaliate and give Camron any puublicity. His album went wood.

Jay may/may not have taken a few subliminals at Game too. Check for the Dear Summer freestyle on Hot97. Since Game was beefing with bleek, I would expect that. I don't think it'll be anything serious.

Posted by Arcadios

It sounded like Cassidy dissed Jay a little on "I'm a Hustla" with the line, "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song.".
Which Jay said that on Takeover against Nas.
And yea, it was smart of Jay not to diss Cam'ron.
Killa Season is his worst selling album yet but he did make another diss called Swagger Jacker.
Jay did a part two and I laughed so hard at the end with the sandles remark he made yet he said Jim Jones wore them too.

Posted by Kamek

I don't think it was JAy who made the comeback, but another DJ.

Cass didn't mean any harm by it, it was actually more a sign of respect.

I don't really listen to Dipset, but their antics are hilarious.

Posted by Arcadios

Yea, I listen to some of Dipset but they are overrated.
What do you think of Game, Kamek?

Posted by Kamek

I think Game is the only G-Unit rapper, aside from the occasional Lloyd Banks punchline, that has some talent. He name drops a little bit too much, but I like his ambition. He has definitely improved since The Documentary. He just yesterday allegedly smashed a bottle on Rass Kas, so that should be interesting to see develop. Plus word on the street is, he has an 8 minute Just Blaze produced track with Nas.

I'm really feeling Lupe right now. Good subject matter, best flow in the game, and best new artist for sure.

Posted by Arcadios

I saw his album cover and it was intresting.
I could see a DS in there I think.
The album's I'm waiting for this 4th quarter are:
Nas/Hip-Hop is Dead
The Game/The Doctor's Advocate
Lloyd Banks/The Rotten Apple
Lupe Fiasco/Food and Liquor

I bought the most recent issue of XXL with 2Pac on the front cover and saw that The Rotten Apple only got an L Rating.
Hope it isn't right. :(

And in recent news, 50 Cent dosen't want to sign Mase since Diddy dosen't want to let go of him from his Bad Boy label. And 50 Cent recently sent out a mixtape dissing Diddy and Mase and the mistape is intitled G-Unit Radio Part 22 Hip-Hop is Dead.
Wonder how Nas will take this.

Posted by Omni

Never really been into rap/hip-hop, but I can respect it as a musical form and understand why some people like it. It definitely has a lot of credibility, which is something that is sorely lacking in a lot of other musical genres these days. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, so I won't name names, even though it would be fun.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Kriss Kross will make ya'...

Posted by Arcadios

Well I just got Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor.
Just by looking at the booklet, it's pretty well thought out.
A boy is in school and the teacher is handing out guns like books while you see street gangsters using books like guns.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: Well I just got Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor.
Just by looking at the booklet, it's pretty well thought out.
A boy is in school and the teacher is handing out guns like books while you see street gangsters using books like guns.

DO YOU LIKE IT? DID YOU Get the VERSION WITH THREE BONUS TRACKS? I MUST GET IT LEGIT TOMORROW. AHH!

Posted by Arcadios

I'll even give some photo's.
Yea, I got the version with the three extra tracks.
I haven't listened to it yet, I'm waiting until the end of school since during the bus ride home I listen to the lyrics alot more then I do at home.
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00857.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00859.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00865.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00866.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00867.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00868.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00869.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00870.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/Mr_Nintendo74/DSC00872.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Kamek

OMG OMG WHAT WERE THE THREE EXTRA TRACKS?

Posted by Arcadios

17.Tilted
18.Carrera Lu
19.What It Do

Posted by Kamek

OMG CARRERA LU AND WHAT IT DO? Arcadios, if you rip the CD to your comp and send me those tracks I'd love you forever. Send me Tilted as well. Oh MAN I must get this now.

Posted by Arcadios

Sure, I'll give them to you.
Got AIM?
I even find the album cover very artistic.
You can even see a DS.

Posted by Kamek

Yeah I do, PM me your AIM and I'll hit you up.

Posted by Arcadios

I loved Food and Liquor.
Lupe said he was modeling it after his favorite album, It was Written.
This one is going on my top list along with Be and Illmatic.
I'd like to talk about Commons last album , Be.
I loved the album even thou it only had like 10 tracks.
Every song was enjoyable for me, especially the intro.

Posted by Kamek

The into was amazing. I remember first hearing that almost, double bass sound plucking, and then one line that stuck out to me was

Never looking back/
Or too far in front of me/
The present is a gift/
And I just wanna be/

I don't necessarily agree with never looking back, but I definitely have not been enjoying the present enough.

Chi-City was a hot track, Testify was a great concept track, Faithful was on point lyrically and I loved the message, They Say, The Corner...There wasn't a skip track I could remember on this album. Definitely one of the better albums of 05.

Posted by Arcadios

Yea but the thing is, the people you delivery the true Hip-Hop never really recieve their reward. Record sell aren't as high as the rappers that have a catchy tune that has to do with your regular raps like money and women.
But for some rappers, putting out the CD itself is the reward knowing that they had the chance for their voice to be heard.
Be only got up to 800,000 records sold.
It's a shame.

Posted by Ch

Quoting NegativeTrend: Kriss Kross will make ya'...

JUMP

Anyways I've been listning to a lot of ATCQ(A Tribe Called Quest) and I'm actually going to go see them on Friday in Worcester.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Arcadios: Yea but the thing is, the people you delivery the true Hip-Hop never really recieve their reward. Record sell aren't as high as the rappers that have a catchy tune that has to do with your regular raps like money and women.
But for some rappers, putting out the CD itself is the reward knowing that they had the chance for their voice to be heard.
Be only got up to 800,000 records sold.
It's a shame.

To be honest, in terms of rap, those are really good numbers. It seems like these days, Gold is the new Platinum, and Platinum is the new multi.

By the way, Jay's album is supposedly dropping in November, with Nas' album being delayed until December. Tell me that isn't some ironic stuff right there...:o

Posted by Arcadios

Nas usually drops around the 4Q.
He says it'll be a classic and better then Illmatic.
I think that a classic isn't made intetionally by the artist.
It's more like the rapper just wants to get out there and voice their opinion like Illmatic.
I don't think Nas knew he was creating a classic and just wanted to get out and breakthrough.
And about Jay, his album is titled Kingdom Come.
I wonder what's the reason behind the name.

Posted by Kamek

If you liked Illmatic, you might want to check out this old-school video http://youtube.com/watch?v=sXrjCKNpDRo

Posted by Arcadios

I can never really stop talking about Illmatic.
To me, it's my favorite album of all time, I can never get tired of listeing to it.

EDIT*
Relavent to this thread.
http://vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=404267&postcount=1053

Posted by NegativeTrend

Relevent to thread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eYdfTD9rYmo

Posted by Desperado

I love Hiphop....not Rap. 2 Diffrent things u kno

Posted by Arcadios

Heh, I know what you mean.
Most people don't know the difference.
:(

Posted by Desperado

most ppl put em in the same category. They dont know what real hiphop is.

Posted by Arcadios

Heh, that's why I put Hip-Hop and Rap as the thread title.

Posted by Desperado

I noticed, good lookin on that. Hey, are uploads aloud here?

Posted by Arcadios

Yea, there's a blog for that down there.
*Points to [url=http://vgchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171]Video, Upload, Request[/url]*
Just read the rules before anything or just post the song here in this thread.