Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii)

Posted by Dexter

Anybody out there care about this game? I'm going to go through it when it comes out and probably have it finished by the time Mario Party 8 is released a few weeks later. It's only for the Wii.

I'm not expecting much from this game, but I like to keep up with the games and go through them, no matter how terrible they sometimes are. I honestly find myself enjoying the games, even if they are bad. I enjoy the familiar music, sometimes levels, characters, themes, etc.

The theme of this game seems to be going to way of extreme fantasy, with an Aladdin/Arabian style. Seems like a theme that will fit well with Sonic. Famous Sonic characters play parts from the book 1001 Nights, with Knuckles looking rad playing Sinbad.

I'm sure it'll be a fun, fast adventure. Anyone else interested? :sonic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings

Posted by Ant

Yeah, I'm getting it right away provided reviews don't totally suck. But I have a feeling this one is FINALLY gonna bring it back to it roots. It's also good know that Sonic Team didn't have close to anything to do with this one :)

Posted by sonic hedgehog

I'm interested but I don't got a wii, only a gnc

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Ant: Yeah, I'm getting it right away provided reviews don't totally suck. But I have a feeling this one is FINALLY gonna bring it back to it roots. It's also good know that Sonic Team didn't have close to anything to do with this one :)

And why is that?

Posted by Beefcake666

This game looks so badass, and mine's fully paid off. The graphics are sweat, and Knuckles looks totally sweet!

Posted by S

This looks decently amusing. Though, it really makes me miss Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Proto Man: And why is that?

Take a look at pretty much every 3D Sonic that Sonic Team has made. They've ranged from crappy to average.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Secret Rings turns out. It actually looks like it could redeem Sonic.

Posted by Bebop

I worry about the control scheme.

And also the fact the last great Sonic game was back in the MegaDrive days.

Posted by Colonel

look's like i'd like to try before I buy.

Posted by Dexter

It comes out tomorrow! I'm going to be ready for it, hopefully. All I have to do is beat Elebits, which should happen tonight or tomorrow night. Not really sure how much is left to it or how much time I'll have. I'm fairly excited to play a new Sonic game. The Arabian theme better be strong and the music better set the mood.

It's probably going to suck, but I'll have fun with my furry friends. We always do, it seems.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Haven't seen any reviews of it yet, but my hopes are above average. :cool:

Posted by Zeta

I believe IGN gave it a 6.9, but they're pretty anti-Sonic...

Supposedly there's an unlockable video of Metal Sonic whining about how unappreciated he is... Waitin' for the YouTubin' >_>

Posted by Bebop

Been getting ok reviews. I never expected greatness but its reassuring that people are calling it better than the 360 and PS3 game.

Posted by Ant

I'm pretty hardcore as Sonic games go......gaaaaaaaaaaah. Conflicting fanboyism or to go with reviews...what a world what a world.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I believe IGN gave it a 6.9, but they're pretty anti-Sonic...

Everyone is anti-sonic because every Sonics game for the past two generations have been complete **** (save Rush.)

Posted by Ant

I liked Adventure 1 and 2.

Average at best.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Everyone is anti-sonic because every Sonics game for the past two generations have been complete **** (save Rush.)

The Sonic Advance games were pretty badass.

every console sonic game*

Posted by Bebop

Handhelds are consoles. You could saved yourself time nad energy but just saying "save the 2D ones".

drr drr drr wat cud he posibly meen bi console? NINTENDO DS!!!

**** that ****

Posted by Bebop

Handhelds are still consoles. Im sorry to be the one to have to tell you this but I think being kept in the dark about this for more than a decade isnt fair. Sorry Vamp. Im sorry. It may come to you as a big shock that the original GameBoy was still a console but....youre going to have to accept it. Its not something I expect to happen over time but please,for your own sake, accept it :(:(:(:(:(:(

A HANDHELD IS ACTUALLY... A HANDHELD CONSOLE?! my world is shattered.

no ****, idiot.

Posted by Ant

sonic rush. I enjoyed that game greatly.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: A HANDHELD IS ACTUALLY... A HANDHELD CONSOLE?! my world is shattered.

no ****, idiot.

Didnt sound like you grasped the concept enough. Like when you said all console Sonic games were average but before said (save Rush). Wasnt sure if you forgot that you just mentioned Rush was good before you generalised all the games, or if you didnt count handhelds as consoles. I went with what would annoy you more.

I have no ****ing clue. I posted that **** at 3 AM and later at 7 after being up for who knows how long. I don't care. Sonic sucks.

Posted by Bebop

Forgetfulness does not equal justifaction.

Posted by Ant

ILOV E SONIC SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

Quoted post: Forgetfulness does not equal justifaction.

I didn't forget.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Sonic sucks.

What about Rush? :3

Sonic sucks.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Sonic sucks.

but...but...but what about Rush :(

Posted by S

Waiting for Dex's review before I go out and get it.

Posted by Dexter

Even if reviews are awful, I'm still going to go through the game. I'm just that hardcore about Sonic. This better be better than Adventure 1 and 2. I'm sure it will be, since they were terrible. The best thing about those games was spending time with our furry friends.

AND IT CAME OUT TODAY! I probably won't start it until tomorrow, because I need to finish defeating Elebits tonight.

Can't believe people still support this ****.

Posted by Dexter

It gets hard sometimes but I've never seemed to lose all hope. I got too many pleasant memories with Sonic to lose hope so easily or ever entirely.

I have pleasant memories of a lot of things. Turns out, they aren't pleasant anymore, or never were to begin with. Nostalgia is a cruel *****.

Posted by Bebop

I have more faith in this Sonic being better than the current 3D sonic outings. For one your freedom of movement is limited alot more than in previous Sonic games and becomes closer to 2D without having a side on camera. If it works well Sonic Team need to take alot more notes.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I have pleasant memories of a lot of things. Turns out, they aren't pleasant anymore, or never were to begin with. Nostalgia is a cruel *****.

Not when it comes to Sonic. The old material is still fun to this day. Old TMNT are still good too, from the show to the games, to the movies to the action figures. It depends on what It is, really. I'd that, with Sonic, the good out-does the bad, so my hope is still justified, maybes.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Bebop: I have more faith in this Sonic being better than the current 3D sonic outings. For one your freedom of movement is limited alot more than in previous Sonic games and becomes closer to 2D without having a side on camera. If it works well Sonic Team need to take alot more notes.

Heck, Sonic Team got it right the first what... 4 times. It's after the Genesis everything went down hill. Of course that's a period when all of Sega started going down hill.

Anyways, I have a feeling that this will be a good game, and I can't wait for Dex's review either. :)

Posted by Bebop

Im talking about taking notes on ways to improve 3D Sonic games. Presumbly the first 4 times you're referring too are 2D ones because there hasnt been a single good 3D Sonic game :(:(:(

Posted by Ant

I liked Sonic Adventure 1&2.

Posted by Dexter

I did too, but they were terrible games.

Posted by Bebop

They're not without their charms I'll agree but overall they are very very bad games.

Posted by Zeta

The Chao system seemed to be a saving grace. *** they need to bring those back. =/

Posted by muffla

well dex how is it?

im proboly going to rent it

Posted by Dexter

I haven't beaten it yet, but I'll probably be able to tonight, then spend a few more days attempting to unlock everything. I've only got one stage left to open up so I'm about 80% complete with single-player mode. I haven't played multiplayer with the girls yet either so I'm not sure how great that is or if it offers pleasant replay value. We'll check that out tonight too, hopefully, then I'll get back with more thoughts.

Typical for Sonic games these days. Movement and freedom of movement are awful and will annoy you on numerous occasions. You can barely go backwards and when you do it isn

The music is so ****ing bad it manages to be great. I mean... it's terrible. Just downright terrible. But so terrible it's hilarious and so hilarious it's good. Also, I gotta say, the graphics, I think, are better than Zelda. Stylistically, no, but technically, yes. Still a far cry from a good 360 title or PS3 title, but the best on the Wii or GC so far.

Posted by Dexter

I defeated the game last night and we played multiplayer for awhile. Multiplayer was weak, but we still had fun for a few rounds. I was able to play as Tails and Amy in there too, which I was kinda missed during single-player. Story mode certainly could've used more favored characters. I also decided that the challenge of the game is bad. When it was easy it was too easy and when it was hard it was the annoying kind of hard. Frustrating and hard to keep patience with.

Wonderful graphics, motivating RPG elements, and multiplayer offering occasional replay value, but not really. Lack of familiar Sonic characters, awful music, horrible challenge. It certainly doesn't bring Sonic back to any former glory. We still need a change for the better. I'd like to see a more adventure-like Sonic game, like Banjo-Kazooie or Starfox Adventures.

Also: **** those missions. **** them hard.

Posted by Dexter

I know it. All this "don't get the rings" crap goes against my Sonic playing philosophies.

I miss the days of destroying the robots and saving the animals. Sonic was all about saving the animals and helping the environment.

Posted by Dexter

You're out of your element. This game sucks and no reviews it receives are going to reassure anything within me.

Posted by YouDontKnow

im pretty pumped to try this game...haven't played a sonic game in a long time

Posted by Dexter

If you were at all pumped enough you would have already found the motivation for playing this long-forgotten game. You're not at all pumped. You're just discombobulated.

Quoted post: are calling it better than the 360 and PS3 game.

That was the worst Sonic game yet and not even finished. Of course it got better reviews.

Posted by Ant

Think they're getting it confused with the black knight game coming out. I think.

though I've always thought about getting this one. 20 bucks, decent enough reviews.

Wait, is that the one with the wolf or a completely different sonic game?

Wait, which is Secret Rings, which is Black Knight and which is WOLF SONIC

Posted by Ant

Secret Ringes came out quite some time ago for Wii.

Black Knight is a new Sonic coming out made just for Wii.

WOLF SONIC is Sonic Unleashed coming out for PS3/360 pretty soon.

Oh, right, Sonic Unleashed. Man. too many ****ty sonic games.

Posted by Dexter

Secret Rings is the Aladdin one to me. I know nothing of the other 2.