I have Vista...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

But I don't know what to do with it. When I bought my laptop, I was entitled to a free copy of Windows Vista Home Premium, so I picked it up today, and I have no idea what I want to do with it. Should I install it, sell it, or hold onto it for another year or so and then install it? Most people are recommending that I wait until Service Pack 1 launches before upgrading, but can it really be that bad right now?

Posted by Proto Man

I believe you should probably wait a year. Right now there is not a lot of support for it as far as programs or peripherals are concerned. Plus it's not like MS is going to drop XP like a hot potato in the next couple months. >_>

Posted by Philsdad

You should back up your copy of it. Save an ISO on your hard drive so you can have it whenever you need it. Not sure how hard it is to back up a Vista disc but there are always other programs to get around that. Just search the usual places for a copy of DVD shrink. Should take care of it. Burn your ISO and try booting off the disc to make sure it works first of course. Then just sell your copy and wait until you're ready to try it out.

Or just keep the disk if you don't want to do all that.

Posted by muffla

i really dont like vista because you can olny re-install it once then the disk is bricked and i tend to refromat my harddrive often so im probly gonna stay with xp

ps 500th post yay

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Since you got it for free, you should install it! I heard Vista is really good from some of my friends. I have it too, but my machine is a POS and it can;t run it

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wait six months or so. Having used it at my work and having worked on it while constantly hearing people ***** about it... I've decided it's not even worth it even if it's free at the moment.

Posted by Trigger

I use Vista on all my machines now and I have no issues with it at all. I have yet to come across a driver incompatibility or software incompatibility issue. If you're even considering Vista at a later option, selling your copy to someone else after making a backup is just ridiculous. Has no one thought of the fact that the person he sells it to will activate online and he'll get a problem when he tries to do the same at a later date?

Cracking Vista is not worth the effort, when you have a legit option sitting right in front of you. Keep it, the people who really want Vista but don't want to pay for it will either opt for the "free upgrade" version like you did or go and get a pirated copy. It's free, you're not losing anything by keeping it for use later and you won't have to worry about Windows being hung up on your license key being activated to someone else's hardware profile.

[quote=Muffla]i really dont like vista because you can olny re-install it once then the disk is bricked and i tend to refromat my harddrive often so im probly gonna stay with vista
Unless you can construct a sentence that makes sense, I suggest you stay out of this board and refrain from giving advice or support. Windows Vista can be re-installed as many times as you wish, without re-activation unless a major component of your system hardware changes (Processor, for example). Nothing happens to the disc, because it's impossible to write to a CD that is not only full but not re-writable so they can't lock your CD at all.

The odd part about your post is that you state Windows Vista can only be re-installed once, but your reason for staying with Windows Vista is because you format often (which, undoubtedly, requires a re-install). :cookie:

Posted by KoH

[quote=muffla;529867]i really dont like vista because you can olny re-install it once then the disk is bricked and i tend to refromat my harddrive often so im probly gonna stay with vista

ps 500th post yay

What the **** does that mean?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Trigger: I use Vista on all my machines now and I have no issues with it at all. I have yet to come across a driver incompatibility or software incompatibility issue.

Back when I was doing beta test for Vista, I had to change my NIC out from a 3COM to a D-Link. The only program I had issues with was AIM. If I've learned one thing, it's that Vista is very nit-picky with hardware. As for AIM, I assume that by now they released an updated ver. that works with Vista, right?

Quoted post: Unless you can construct a sentence that makes sense, I suggest you stay out of this board and refrain from giving advice or support.

He wanted his 500th post.

Anyhow, my dad gets a free upgrade coming to him in the mail soon. I still have to check but I believe all of his hardware and peripherals will be Vista compatible. I have to check his webcam though. Plus the upgrade advisor said something about Real Rhapsody not working in Vista, so I might wait on that. If all is well though, then I will do the upgrade. My dad doesn't use his computer often, so he shouldn't run into problems with incompatibility stuff.

As for me, I won't be running Vista till I get a new computer. I can run it, but just the bare minimum. I won't upgrade though till the new ATI Direct X 10 cards come out.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Proto Man]Back when I was doing beta test for Vista, I had to change my NIC out from a 3COM to a D-Link. If I've learned one thing, it's that Vista is very nit-picky with hardware.
You've learned only one thing: Windows Vista BETA didn't support 3Com at the time. I am so tired of people who base their criticism and entire opinions on beta versions of products. There's a reason why it was in a testing phase of development, you know - it wasn't perfect nor complete.

[quote]As for AIM, I assume that by now they released an updated ver. that works with Vista, right?
[URL="http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aim.com%2Fget_aim%2Fwin%2Flatest_win.adp&ei=pELFRYusI6C6gAPI_8juCw&usg=__vUlMYWaLblZrKqHM9GUp-2QKASs=&sig2=G-Jv2IaiT6BWvD9-IDjoUw"]AIM 6.0[/URL], I've tried it myself but I prefer Trillian for my instant messenger needs.

You only get the free upgrade if your computer qualifies, which is a sticker on the machine stating "Windows Vista Compatible" or "Windows Vista Premium Ready." If there's a sticker stating that, then everything should work just fine.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Trigger: If you're even considering Vista at a later option, selling your copy to someone else after making a backup is just ridiculous. Has no one thought of the fact that the person he sells it to will activate online and he'll get a problem when he tries to do the same at a later date?

Cracking Vista is not worth the effort, when you have a legit option sitting right in front of you. Keep it, the people who really want Vista but don't want to pay for it will either opt for the "free upgrade" version like you did or go and get a pirated copy. It's free, you're not losing anything by keeping it for use later and you won't have to worry about Windows being hung up on your license key being activated to someone else's hardware profile.

Okay, so he could use an Activation crack for himself and let whomever he sold it to activate it legitmately? I know just keeping the disc for himself is obviously 10x easier and probably more practical, I'm just saying. If he wanted to use it and sell it too (he listed both as potential options) then there are ways to get around it. There always are.

Quoting muffla: i really dont like vista because you can olny re-install it once then the disk is bricked and i tend to refromat my harddrive often so im probly gonna stay with vista

Acutally, he's right guys. Once you re-install Vista for the first time, a bunch of evil Microsoft employees in military uniforms will immediately break into your home, take the Disc out of the drive and throw bricks at it, until it breaks into a ton of little pieces. That way you won't be able to re-install it because your disc got bricked.

Posted by muffla

sry for the typo before i ment to say xp as for olny doing the post for the 500 mark, i didnt even know it was untill after i posted so i edited it in.

anyways i found a vid of a guy whos computer wont suport vista, so he tries to load it on a diffrent machine http://break.com/index/how_to_properly_load_vista.html

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Philsdad]Okay, so he could use an Activation crack for himself and let whomever he sold it to activate it legitmately? I know just keeping the disc for himself is obviously 10x easier and probably more practical, I'm just saying. If he wanted to use it and sell it too (he listed both as potential options) then there are ways to get around it. There always are.
I'm not disputing that he could crack Windows Vista but its features and bling is not worth the effort. Especially seeing as he has a legit copy right in front of him that complies with the law and requires no crack at all. Oh, and, you know, it was free and just about anyone who has a Windows Vista Capable (or Premium) machine will have ordered their upgrade, bought their copy or downloaded it already anyway.

If you really don't want it, use it as a coaster.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm not planning on cracking it, just for the record.

Day 3 Update: The box is balancing all the plates on my desk. It looks pretty.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting The X: But I don't know what to do with it. When I bought my laptop, I was entitled to a free copy of Windows Vista Home Premium, so I picked it up today, and I have no idea what I want to do with it. Should I install it, sell it, or hold onto it for another year or so and then install it? Most people are recommending that I wait until Service Pack 1 launches before upgrading, but can it really be that bad right now?

Install it. And do a backup. If you're too worried about instability, then wait for SP1. You should install it sometime, though, because it is better than WXP. Burning a copy then selling it probably won't work, because of WIndows Product Activation. If you really don't want it, you could always give ti away or sell it, though.

If nothing you regularly use is incompatible with Vista, and you can be bothered installing it, go ahead.

Posted by Lord of Spam

"Windows Vista can be re-installed as many times as you wish, without re-activation unless a major component of your system hardware changes (Processor, for example)."

So gamers that upgrade regularly are ****ed? GG windows.

Posted by GameMiestro

Buy 15 copies of it and sell them on EBay for a huge profit.

Posted by higbvuyb

by the way, is it an upgrade edition or the full edition? If it is the upgrade edition, it normally invalidates your Windwos XP key when you install, but if you do this, it won't do that.

"1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.

2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click “Next” and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.

3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.

4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.

5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.

6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.

7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.”"