Is Microsoft stealing Sony's thunder??

Posted by Random

I've had a rather large amount of time to do nothing over the past week (Especially reading up on some gaming magazines while at the airports going to and coming from Florida), and i've been doing some reading (also online).

Microsoft did something that'll probably win them the current console race. Releasing early definately helped, and having a lot of consoles in stock for the '06 Christmas was perfect, because a lot of kids want Next Gen Consoles and with Wii's and PS3's being sold out everywhere, a lot of people would pick up 360s (or Gaystation 2's). It definately helped sales..

But NOW you have the 360 with a lot more game support..

Now the 360 has games like:

-Resident Evil 5
-GTA IV (Launched at the same time)
-Guitar Hero II
-Phantasy Star Universe
-Assassin's Creed
-Smackdown vs Raw 2007

Plus not to mention theres rumors flying that MGS 4 maybe 360 Bound!

Those games have been or were supposed to be Sony exclusives until now (or in GTAs case released on the same day).

Its definately hurting Sony. Why pay $200 more for a PS3 to play a lot of major titles people wanted to buy for the PS3 that are on the 360? The graphics maybe a little better, but its not worth an extra $200.

Not to mention Microsoft kills Sony in the Online Market...

Microsoft already reports over 10 Million Xbox 360's Sold (which is probably half of what the XBox sold).

It even seems Sony is having trouble selling off shelves. If I were to go into my local Wal Mart, Kmart, Gamestop or EB i'd find PS3's sitting behind cases that haven't been sold. Even when I was in Florida I found PS3s behind cases not being sold. There isn't that much hype. The Nintendo Wii on the other hand I can't tend to find anywhere as much as I want to. Id have to wait in lines and fight the crowds to get a fricken Wii whereas the PS3s are just sitting, rotting away.

One other rant I have about Sony is that they are probably planning to keep pushing the Playstation 2 aslong as they can. This means theyre going to be releasing a lot of games on the PS3 aswell as the PS2 simultaneously to try to make profit and gains. Expect PS2s to eventually look like this...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/759/759172p2.html (Scroll to the bottom, I tried to post the picture on here but it failed for some reason or another)

Its sad how a Stupid Color change will probably land them more sales. I can imagine that the ones who'll buy PS2s like this are either going to be Rich Spoiled Girls, or poor girls who enjoy gaming but don't have enough cash to buy a Next Gen Console.. Sad but true..

Back to my original question.. Do you believe Microsoft is stealing Sony's thunder, by gaining more gaming support with the games I mentioned? And if games like MGS and the Final Fantasy series were to hit the 360's, would it destroy Sonys chances at winning this console war?

Posted by S

PSU blows hard. I wouldn't regard it anywhere near any of the games you mentioned. It's shotty programming, crappy game design, and easily cheated. Unless you plan on playing Legit, which is 95% harder on this game than in the past PSO series, then you're not going to have a good time for very long.

Posted by ccrocker58

Erm...well that was kinda harsh...but anyway...

No, I don't think Micro is going to be able to steal Sony's thunder. That isn't to say that Sony isn't in trouble, becuase it is, in fact I daresay they may be belting out their swan song with the PS3. But the fact is, XB is about as popular as a colonoscopy in Japan, where gaming really is the most important. Sure, it may steal its popularity here in the States (I won't say anything about Europe as I don't know much about gaming there), but it'll be hard pressed to gain the worldwide popularity that Sony garnered.

Posted by boomstick

Well, when I saw GayStation 2 I pretty much stopped reading, because I guessed there was nothing more than fanboy ramblings after that

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Random: ...would it destroy Sony's chances at winning this console war?

Doesn't matter.
Wii wins.

Posted by Random

Quoting boomstick: Well, when I saw GayStation 2 I pretty much stopped reading, because I guessed there was nothing more than fanboy ramblings after that

I was bored.. Sue me..

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sony hasn't had any thunder to steal for awhile now.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Blue Dragon is apparently helping move 360s in Japan. It's not the sales explosion that Microsoft needs to get a solid foothold over there, but it's a start. Other Japanese RPGs have been announced which might help, too.

Posted by avalanch

All Microsoft needs to do now is a pricedrop & the ps3 is doomed.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

360 won, and PS3 is screwed unless it can pull one hell of an amazing trick from under Sony's big hat, because DMC4 alone can't save it.

And RE5 is still PS3 bound, and so is GTA4. And for PSU, the reason why it got big was because it was making it's way to 360, hoping to imitate the greatness of PSO for Xbox. PSU was never Sony exculsive. Plus it failed hard.

Posted by Speedfreak

Just responding to the thread title here. If anyone stole Sony's thunder it was Nintendo, Wii simply caused much more of a stir than either console.

Posted by Random

Well I agree Speedy but only due to the fact they came out at the sametime. If the 360 came out at the sametime i'm sure the 360 and Wii would share success in sales. Itd be hard to say which would have sold more.

Wii. By a ****ton.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoted post: Microsoft did something that'll probably win them the current console race.

It's still to early to say that. Nintendo hasn't even begun to come out with their big hits yet.

Also, I would say that Xbox 360 coming out early is helping them more than anything. The reason they had more stock during Christmas is because they have had so much time on their hands (since they came out a year earlier). Wii's have been sold out across America and Japan since November because they released JUST AT the holiday season. They are still flying off of shelves today, and it's February. I think once things level out, when there are more Wii's to sell, and when the big hits come out, Nintendo could easily catch up to MS.

As for Sony, they don't have a prayer unless they start dropping prices.

Posted by Random

Nintendo will have a lot of help in the race. Not only with a much cheaper pricetag but also with the option to play the old skool games.

However i'm a firm believer that in the end Microsoft will come on top. I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't have a chance because trust me they do. And I promise Nintendo will make the most "profit" when its all said and done.

Microsoft has a larger selection in games (Though we all know its quality vs quantity, in which the 360 has great quality games Ex: Gears of War) and not to mention a huge online library that people can play against one another. It definately helps their selling point.

Posted by higbvuyb

Wii > 360 >>>>>>> PS3 in terms of sales. IGN.com is evidently staffed by a bunch of retards. You can't say "Sony's going to do tons of pricecutting and then they'll win, and then the new Killzone will look as good as a prerendered trailer", because if Sony can pricecut, Microsoft can as well, and can do so better, given that Microsoft's gaming division isn't losing billions of dollars per month, and given that Microsoft has a lot more money than Sony has. The new Killzone will also still look crap, and still be a crap Halo clone, because no amount of coding can push a console past it's maximum processing power, and Killzone was never good in the first place. The only thing Sony has going for them is a bunch of fanboys and MGS4, and even Splinter Cell is better than that.

Killzone doesn't exist. Confirmed.

Posted by Zeta

I think Vamp was commenting on how much Killzone sucks.

Posted by Silent Echo

Sony has thunder in the right places. Remember, Sony's PS2 library graces some of the best video game titles ever made. I'm confident the PS3's future will be akin to its predecessor. Regardless, I think it would be more rational to judge the console after the infancy stages are gone.

Rational? RATIONAL? Rationality doesn't factor into fanboyism, fu[COLOR="White"]cka[/COLOR]ss. **** you. **** Sony.

Posted by Silent Echo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Rational? RATIONAL? Rationality doesn't factor into fanboyism, fu[COLOR="White"]cka[/COLOR]ss. **** you. **** Sony.

Jesus dude, I don't need to be abused. It was just saying it'll be more rational to judge the PS3 after it's been on the market for more than 3 freakin' months! But, a notion like that somehow yields an insult? Even from a mod? WOW. And I don't care it's just one person; that person is a staff member, which more or less represents this site. Man, I just signed up on this site yesterday, and I'm already getting flamed, from a mod nonetheless. *sigh*

Oh, I thought you've been around for awhile. That's my humour. Protip: take nothing I say seriously. It's usually all sarcasm, like that last post. I was mocking fanboyism.

THE MORE YOU KNOW spengbab

Posted by s0ul

Don't listen to him, Echo, he's seriously a huge dick.

Posted by Desperado

I think MS are pulling off very well for this generation. I can see why they said "We're on a trajectory to win the long term war" (indeed they r in progress). This reminds of the Sega situation back in the late 80s. I might get me one of those 360s...

Posted by EvilDeadGamer

Oh yea, the Xbox 360s are everywhere while PS3 only has a few units per store. That and due to the overwhelming price a lot of Sony exclusive games are going over to Microsoft. Personally im glad, i cant afford a PS3 and a lot of my favorite series are on Playstation. now there all moving to xbox360

Posted by Random

Its definately nice.. It seems by having a Wii and an XBox 360 i'll get to enjoy some really great titles that are on PS3 or won't ever be on the PS3...

Huge XBox 360 Titles to come:

-Halo 3 (Exclusive)
-Fable 2 (Exclusive)
-Gears of War 2 (Exclusive)
-Dead Rising 2 (Exclusive)
-Halo Wars (Exclusive I think?)

Not to mention the exclusives that already exist...

Sony has lost a lot of titles that were usually exclusive to Sonys consoles...

Devil May Cry
Resident Evil
GTA (Maybe not exclusive but they always got the launch first)
Smackdown vs Raw (already on a Microsoft console)
Castlevania (was on last gen aswell)

Not to mention theres a lot of rumors (just rumors so far so perhaps they won't come out for the 360) that MGS 4 and Final Fantasy may jump board to the 360 aswell..

We've already heard that Square-Enix will make a Dragonquest and a Final Fantasy game for the Wii, and Hideo Kojima who worked on the Metal Gear Solid series has tested MGS4 on the XBox 360. So who knows??

Microsoft has a less expensive system with a huge variety of games.. The local Game retail stores are having a hard time selling PS3s. So we'll see whats to come.

Quoted post: -Gears of War 2 (Exclusive)
-Dead Rising 2 (Exclusive)

Not a chance. Dead Rising is Capcom owned. You'll see it on other systems. As for Gears, though the branding is now "Games for Windows," chances are the sequel will appear on the PC like the original did, thus not exclusive.

Don't forget that quite a few "360 exclusives" are heading over the the PS3. You're going to see a lot of timed exclusives and very likely no true exclusives on either system, save for first-party (second-party) or the rare occasion that either company throws trucks of cash at whatever developer.

Oh, and GTA IV is releasing simultaneously on both systems.

Posted by Random

Yes I know about GTA IV, I was just mentioning about it releasing on the PS2 first.

And I read an article in a gaming magazine.. I think it was EGM or something. I'll have to look for it. In any case Microsoft bought the rights to Dead Rising 2 to be an exclusive. I'll have to find that..

Ok.. found a few links..

http://www.fragland.net/news.php?page=1&id=15328