Annoying problem.

Posted by Hyper

Ok, I have this extremely annoying problem. While running some programs (I can't list them all, but the most common are WinAMP, AntiVir, and VSO DivX to DVD), my computer will randomly shut itself off. This may happen while the program is running or after it has been closed, but most commonly when it is open. Any idea why this happens? It's been going on since my computer got fixed last, after I had a few viruses and had to have someone else virus scan my harddrive at their house on their computer.

Posted by drumsticks200

Do you have an anti-virus program like nortan or other unknown ones. Some unknown seem to be better than nortan in a way. Well if you dont have an anti-virus I think that's what you need to solve your problem. other then that i dont know what else to help you with because I'm no computer expert. =)

Posted by Hyper

[quote]I can't list them all, but the most common are WinAMP, AntiVir, and VSO DivX to DVD

Of course I have Anti Virus software. My computer SHUTS THE **** OFF WHEN I RUN IT.

:)

Posted by NegativeTrend

Could possibly be due to overheating. Check all your fans and make sure they are working.

Posted by Hyper

My reply to the same suggestion at another board:

I've got three fans running. I can turn on my computer in the morning after 10 hours of rest, run the program for 20 minutes, and have it shut down. Without running the programs it'll last 16+ hours easily.

And in case anyone suggests RAM:

I thought about that, but I have tons (I think 1.5 GB), and I usually have nothing running besides one program when I'm virus scanning or doing a DivX to DVD (Both programs that it'll shut off during).

Posted by Inferno

Check your heatsink, I had a clamp snap off for no apparent reason once and my heatsink wasn't contacting good enough to cool the processor down. It was barely noticeable other than the fact that a clamp was missing. But I had the same exact problem you had and that was what was wrong with mine.

Also, I doubt it is a virus or some other software issue. If it was then it wouldn't shut off at random time intervals like that. It definitely sounds like a hardware issue to me, most likely one with the processor.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Yes check the heatsink as well. Also try running a memtest program. http://www.memtest.org/ Also do a scandisc to see if you have any errors on your HD.

Posted by Hyper

Ok, how do I check my heatsink? Even though it really doesn't seem like its random, considering it only happens when I run certain programs.

Posted by higbvuyb

Try running a few programs that you know will make the computer hotter, and if they shut your computer down, then it mustr be because of heat.

Posted by Richaod

Trigger told me before. Right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery and untick Automatically Reboot. Occasionally, you computer will go slower, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver clash; it's happened to me before, so...

Posted by Hyper

That is unchecked.

I seem to have fixed it. There was a wire caught on one of my fans when I took it apart. Fixed that and I was able to run DivX to DVD without a problem. If it happens again with another program I'll reply to this thread again.

Posted by NegativeTrend

NegativeTrend 1 - Broken Computer 0. :)

Posted by Hyper

You said the heatsink but that was just fine so stfu ;)

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting NegativeTrend: Could possibly be due to overheating. Check all your fans and make sure they are working.

k :)

Posted by Hyper

...Still. Bah :mad:

I'm not sure what the fan was cooling, though. I suppose it was just a general fan but it wasn't the one on the side or the one on the harddrive.

Posted by loony636

Your computer has a general fan??? Mine sure doesn't. I don't know what a general fan would do. If your computer had 3 fans, I don't think it would be overheating...

Posted by higbvuyb

It's called overclocking, or a Pentium 4.