Anyone feel like telling me about Mega Man Battle Network?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I absolutely love Mega Man 1-8 and Mega Man X 1-3, and of course Mega Man Soccer.

But I've never played any of these newere MM games, like Battle Network. Is it like the old games? A side-scrolling action game? Do you still get powers when you defeat a boss? Is Dr. Wily involved?

Just wondering what it's like, if anyone is up for telling me.

Posted by Stalolin

Battle Network is completely different from your old Megaman games.

It's not sidescrolling at all, it's more like a fast-paced board game. The game is set around a world where pretty much everyone has a device called a PET which houses a being created of data called a Navi.

People use their Navis to surf the internet, and occasionally they encounter a virus. That's when the battle occurs.
[IMG]http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1637/capcome39meh1.jpg[/IMG]

In this image, Megaman.exe is fighting Fireman.exe (all Navis have an .exe suffix).

Attacking is what makes this game fun, as it involves a small amount of tactics and a small amount of thought. To battle, you get these things called "Battle Chips"
[IMG]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1919/meb3ga002ww0.jpg[/IMG]
This is a pretty basic chip, Cannon. It does 40 damage, and fortunately your opponents don't have much more than that.

After you use a battle chip than the bar at the top refills so you can get more battle chips. You can also use your MegaBuster to wittle away their health.

and I'd post more if I had more time, but i've gotta get to skooool lolz

Posted by Red

I'll help Stal.

k so basically, the stradegy part involves, using chips and moving around the board to properly avoid recieving damage from your oponent.

as you can see in the picture in the post above each chip has a code ( A, B, C etc.) this is where stradegy is involved, you can use 1-5 chips each turn (a turn would be when you'd move around the area firing your buster to attack, and using your chips that you've chosen) you can use more then one chip IF they have either 1-the same code
or 2-if they are the same kind of chip ( cannon, Cannon )

as you progress through the game, you will earn stronger chips by defeating viruses and retrieving their data in the form of the chip. there are a ton of different chips to collect and depending on which game, many different ways to power-up megaman.

there's actually alot more rules involved with other things like custimizing megaman, changing his style etc. but I wont get into detail, I'll just tell you this.

the game is you playing as LAN, an 11 year old who owns the P.E.T megaman.
you control LAN in the real world, and when you "jack-in" to the net you play as megaman.the whole point of the game, is trying to stop net crimes and other stuff you'd get into if you played the game. there's many ways to power-up by using chips,programs,styles etc.

wow, that's kinda hard to explain huh =/ I know I probably missed alot so if anyone feels they need to add more please do XD !!!

Posted by Zeta

If you do decide to get into the series, stay away from Battle Network 4. It sucked. Royally. Might want to skip 5 as well...

Posted by Minesweeper

I refuse to acknowledge 4's existance. -.-;;

Go! LONG-WINDED POSTER ATTACK!! >=O

So, you get either Zenny (money) or chips for defeating enemies. At the end of a battle you'll see your time and your Rank; Rank is determined differently in each game, and determines what your reward for that battle will be. The higher the rank, the better the reward. You can get special chips for earning the highest rank, S-Rank. And by defeating the Navis, you get a chip that uses their special attack, which is their way of making up for the lack of gaining a boss-power. =(

Each game's battles are slightly different due to different power-ups. For instance, 1's system is fairly straight forward - you can buy different elemental armors, and Power-Ups, which let you increase your MegaBuster's Strength (your buster starts at 1 damage per normal shot, and the charge's damage changes in most of the games), the Speed you shoot at, and the speed you Charge at.

2 uses the Power-Ups, but does away with the Armor to instead give StyleChange; depending on certain factors in battle, you get a different power with a random Element. 2 introduces SubChips, which appear in every game except 1; some decrease the rate at which viruses appear (or chases away weak viruses altogether), others recover HP, others affect the items you come across in the Net.

3 has two versions; White and Blue. There's very slight differences between them, but each does have a unique Style change. It uses the StyleChange system (with three new styles, but no HubStyle ;_; ), but also replaces the Power-Up with the NaviCustomizer, which lets you install "Program Blocks" to alter MegaMan's power. Some increase your Buster's stats, or max them out, others do things like decrease the rate you run into viruses, or affects how you interact with others (Humor ftw). However, there's a few rules to installing Program Blocks, and if you install them poorly, you get bugs, which makes battling a helluvalotta fun... I mean, uh, difficult. Verrrrrry difficult. o_o;

4 also has two versions: Red Sun and Blue Moon. It keeps the NC, but replaces the StyleChange with Double Soul's SoulStyles - you "sacrifice" a chip of a certain element to take on the form and abilities of other Navis you've gained the power of for three turns. As awesome as this is, it in NO WAY makes up for the sheer awfulness of the game. xP

5 also keeps the NC, and the SoulStyles, but introduces Dark power. (DUN DUN DUN!) Using Dark Chips, you can unleash powerful attacks at the cost of 1 Max HP per use. PERMANENTLY. =O However, you can also use the Dark Chips to activate SoulStyle, and change your charge shot to whatever Dark Chip you used to activate it. But be careful; a poorly timed shot results in having a bat-**** insane Dark MegaMan appear on the enemy's side. O_O;

6 is split into Cybeast Gregar and Cybeast Falzar. It ALSO keeps the NC, but introduces the Cross system and Beast-Out. You gain LinkNavis (5 in each version, all different) by participating in special scenarios, and use the LinkNavi to do a NaviCross. A Cross has no limit to the number of turns you can use it per battle, and you don't have to sacrifice a chip to activate it. =) Beast-Out is a power gained from the Cybeasts (Gregar in Gregar, Falzar in Falzar, duh). It lasts for three turns, and if you activate it with a Cross active, you get a BeastCross, which adds the special abilities of the Cross with the special abilities of Beast-Out, plus a kick-*** unique Charge shot. However, if you try to reactivate it in the same battle after 3 turns, MegaMan goes into Beast-Over and goes crazy, attacking randomly. =O

... I talk too much. =(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Zeta: If you do decide to get into the series, stay away from Battle Network 4. It sucked. Royally. Might want to skip 5 as well...

I have 1, 2, and 3. Is 6 worth my time?

And yeah, if you buy any Battle Network, the second installment is where it's at, holmes. It refines the greatness of the first one, is generally more creative in plot and characters, and is still simplistic enough in its gameplay, before the later games added DUALHYPERSHOCKBEASTSOULSCHIPBREAK

:(

Posted by Arcadios

Go for Zero.
One of the best series.

Posted by Red

Quoting Zeta: If you do decide to get into the series, stay away from Battle Network 4. It sucked. Royally. Might want to skip 5 as well...

now that's not fair, 5 had it's moments the whole weird, board game battle system thingy was cool xP...but yeah it was kinda gay

Quoting Minesweeper:
... I talk too much. =(

but your posts are like an adventure in themselves, quite enjoyable ^o^

Posted by Zeta

Quoting The X: I have 1, 2, and 3. Is 6 worth my time?

6 manages to redeem the series. Plus, it has the best version of the Navi Fusion thing that 4 and 5 tried.

EDIT: Ninja'd. The Strategy RPG-esque parts of 5 were really the only parts I enjoyed. Everything else was... eh. =/

EDIT 2: And listen to Arc. All 4 Zero games are some of the finest in the entire MegaMan franchise.

Posted by Red

Quoting Arcadios: Go for Zero.
One of the best series.

Zero series indeed was great, but MMBN was still fun too :(

Posted by Fei-on Castor

What is the Zero series about? How is played?

I liked the first 3 X games a lot, but I didn't like X4, X5 or X6 at all. I liked the first 8 of the original series, too. In fact, I absolutely loved Megaman 1-3 for NES. 4-8 was good, but not as much fun as 1-3.

Posted by Zeta

The Zero series is mainly played like the X games. There are some new things, such as Cyber Elves, Chips, new weapons, etc. It has a good storyline, which can't be said for most other MegaMan games, and the character design is great, especially the bosses.

Posted by Arcadios

Good thing it wasn't whored out unlike X and Original.
:D
I still have love for X and Original thou.
X: Up until 6.
Original: Never really got tired of it.

Posted by Red

Quoting Arcadios: Good thing it wasn't whored out unlike X and
X: Up until 6.

I didn't think people even considered X7 & 8 to be actual X games.

but still, I must say I enjoyed 7 :).
I liked Axl.

Posted by Minesweeper

I thought X8 was great. It had VILE! >=O And I like Axl. =D But I REALLY didn't like X7. I beat two bosses and gave up due to being thoroughly ****ed off. I found it HIGHLY annoying in general. I'm STILL having nightmares about some of the voice acting. xP

Zero series is awesome. =) [SIZE="1"](But I prefer MMBN. <.< *flees*)[/SIZE]

[quote=The X]I have 1, 2, and 3. Is 6 worth my time?
I'd say yes.

1 was good, the original. 2 is by far the best. =) 3 was awesome; personally, I think it ties for first with 2, but some would say it's not quite as good. =/ Then, in a spectacular crash-n'-burn, 4 sucked so badly I think they should've pretended it never happened. xP Fortunately, 5 was okay, and the Liberation missions were actually kinda fun, but it was mildly annoying at times. Like that minigame in EndCity, with the whack-a-samurai. xP [SIZE="1"](On the other hand, you get to play as Protoman... =/ )[/SIZE] Then there's 6, which I feel makes up for 4 and 5. =D Except for the whole crisis-music-playing-eternally-after-the-game-ends thing. @.@;;

[quote=Red]but your posts are like an adventure in themselves, quite enjoyable ^o^
d(

Posted by Red

5 was okay, and the Liberation missions were actually kinda fun, but it was mildly annoying at times.

Liberattion Missions!!! Thankyou!! that's the word I was looking for

also, I've never played x8 yet. but if it's got Vile then I'd like to give it a try.

and to be honest I didn't like battle network 2 as much...don't know if it was because non of the chips I had were any good or the fact that only 1 of my friends bought it, but I didn't like it that much.

Posted by MEGA MAN 23

megaman battle network is a awsome game you should get it man......

Posted by MEGA MAN 23

what the hell is that?