IP bans

Posted by Iris

We need the ability to IP ban. It's not uncommon at all for new members to join up and spam, and create multiple other accounts under the same IP once they get banned. It's happened quite a few times recently. I know it's possible to use a proxy, but in most cases I've seen, they don't even bother. Either start taking requests for IP bans or let us give them out, Jesse. I'm sure the super mods will assure you that they won't use it on anyone who doesn't spam consistenly (at least if they're not new members :kiss:).

Also, when you do an IP check on a post, would it be possible to link that to a page listing all of the other members with the same IP? It's a lot more convenient than just the number.

Posted by Linkman

He can't give Super Mods the ability to IP ban because it's an administrator only only option. It'd be a nice feature, but it's not possible, not without some kind of hack (that probably doesn't exist). Anyway, like I said in another thread: Proxies, including major ISP generated ones (ex: AOL, AT&T, etc..) can make it possible to get around easily. In short, IP bans are reserved for members causing serious problems, such as hacking. Super Mods really don't need it.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Linkman: He can't give Super Mods the ability to IP ban. like I said in another thread: Proxies, including major ISP generated ones (ex: AOL, AT&T, etc..) can make it possible to get around easily.

Quoted 4 truth!! :D

Posted by Iris

Just because it can be avoided doesn't mean it will be. Remember when Jesse made it so you had to have a different e-mail account for each account you had on VGC? People could still make puppets, but it would be a pain in the ***.

Also, I'm pretty sure super mods could IP ban at one point.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

They definitely could, though things could have changed since then.