Square Enix now using Unreal Engine 3!

Posted by avalanch

Quoted post: Square Enix has licenced Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 for use in next-gen game development. It features a robust toolset for creating rich 3D environments and using multi-processor systems. Some games that have been made with it include Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 2007, and Lost Odyssey.

Taku Murata, general manager of the R&D Division at Square Enix said, "The complexity of next-generation game systems featuring HD graphics and multi-core parallel processing poses a number of technological challenges to our game development. However, we can expedite our game development process significantly while allowing extra time and resources to be spent on game design and mechanics by establishing an effective technology platform."

So far, no specific projects have been confirmed to be using this new engine.

I sure hope they get the hang of using the unreal engine very quickly to make some killer games with it! Namely the final fantasy X games...

Posted by Skitzo Control

At least they didn't go with the Havok engine.:)

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting avalanch: Namely the final fantasy X games...

Not likely. They'll surely be using their in-house-developed "White Engine" for their future next-gen RPGs, such as Final Fantasy XIII. This sounds more like the Square I loved from the PSOne days, which was willing to try their hands at different genres (Tobal No.1, Bushido Blade anyone?). Their licensing of the Unreal Engine should hopefully be a revival of this concept, and a probable consequence of the wake-up call they had after releasing the disappointing Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus. UE3 would likely be used for these new-to-them gameplay ventures.

The news isn't surprising though. UE3 is rapidly becoming the engine of choice among developers, much like Renderware (not an engine) was popularized in the last generation.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, UE3 has nothing to do with FFXIII or, apparently, any Sony exclusives. Good move on their part.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Einhander sequel anyone?

Mmhmmmm[/COLOR]

Posted by GameMiestro

We need more original FPS games. I hope they actually put it to good use...

Posted by Roger Smith

We need more original games in general.

Posted by GameMiestro

Chance of Square using this to make an original, online FPS for the Nintendo DS that everyone will buy: 0%

Chance of Square using this to make a bland, PS3 exclusive that will be forgotten within a month: 9000%

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]You want Square-Enix to use the Unreal Engine 3 on a DS game?[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

Apparently he does, because it's worth it. :cookie:

And of course, since it's on the PS3 (I mean, come on), it must be bland and far too probable for it to go in that direction.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting GameMiestro: Chance of Square using this to make an original, online FPS for the Nintendo DS that everyone will buy: 0%

That's right, because they wouldn't be a professional game company if they licensed UE3 to make a DS game.

Quoted post: And of course, since it's on the PS3 (I mean, come on), it must be bland and far too probable for it to go in that direction.

It'll be bland because it's an RPG made by Square.

But it won't be forgotten. It'll be loved and raved about. Dur.

Posted by Fate

I was making references to what other people said. GameMiestro said that Square would make a bland PS3 exclusive while Big Boss said it would be nice to try their hand on non-RPG games. Seeing as how the White Engine is being used in their upcoming XIII, I said that a game exclusively made by Square for the PS3 that isn't an RPG must be bland, but only because it's on the PS3. I was making a funny. :(

And what's this about Square making bland RPGs?
:(

... yeah I know.

And, though FFXII was an amazing game, before that the last good game Square/Square-Enix made was Einhander back in '98.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Fate: And what's this about Square making bland RPGs? :(

[COLOR="Yellow"]Its true.

And Nintendo makes mediocre games, and Rare still makes good games, and Konami makes crappy stealth action games, and the Wii lacks innovation, and PC's are bad for FPS games, and licensed movie games are usually very very good. All this is true also.[/COLOR];)

Posted by Jaems

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Einhander sequel anyone?

Mmhmmmm[/COLOR]

I hear that! :D
Although I really doubt it'll ever happen.
Too much people nowadays are turned off by side-scrolling shooters.

And Unreal 3 on DS? How'll that work, hm? ;)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Aioros;527059][COLOR=Yellow]You want Square-Enix to use the Unreal Engine 3 on a DS game?[/COLOR]

Who wouldn't want UE3 running on DS? :p

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Konami makes crappy stealth action games,[/COLOR];)

They do. But they make amazing 16 hour films though.

Posted by S

Quoting Bebop: They do. But they make amazing 16 hour films though.

We need more amazing 16-hour films.

Posted by Bebop

No we don't.

Yes we do. Better yet, 25 hour movies. Yeah.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I shall raise that bet. Make it 50 hours, Xenosaga will have have nothing on this.

Like its so hard to press a button and skip a movie if you don't wanna see it.:rolleyes: [/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Like its so hard to press a button and skip a movie if you don't wanna see it.:rolleyes: [/COLOR]

No one was saying its hard to skip the cut scenes. Maybe you find it hard. But not doing that gives the impression you didnt waste your money on an overrated 4 hour game.

Quoted post: Like its so hard to press a button and skip a movie if you don't wanna see it.

... if you skip the cutscenes you might as well not even play the game.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]and Rare still makes good games[/COLOR];)

What planet do you live on?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]I shall raise that bet. Make it 50 hours, Xenosaga will have have nothing on this.

Like its so hard to press a button and skip a movie if you don't wanna see it.:rolleyes: [/COLOR]

Hey cumcock, you can't do that in every game under the sun.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Aioros;527059][COLOR=Yellow]You want Square-Enix to use the Unreal Engine 3 on a DS game?[/COLOR]

As I clearly stated, there is ZERO chance of this happening. So it doesn't really matter if I want it or not. :)

Posted by Bebop

I dont think that was the point of the question. I think how realistic it is of happening is irrelevant.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Klarth: Hey cumcock, you can't do that in every game under the sun.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Were talking about Metal Gear here genius, since that's where the argument started. You can skip cutscenes in Metal Gear. Unless you know of any other stealth action games made by Konami whose cutscenes you can't skip, lmaoo.

I'll *** on your face.[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

Whether you can skip or not still doesn't change the fact that cutscene time is about 20x more than gameplay time.

Posted by Bebop

Exactly Zeta. For every 1 minute of gameplay there is approximately 26 hours of cutscenes. After playing Metal Gear Solid I noticed I was basically holding a controller for 5 days straight.

Posted by Arczu

I think some people are taking the cutscene times waaay to seriously. Skipping cut-scenes in that game will likely cause you to enter a battle without knowing WTH is going on. You can skip them if you have seen them already but there IS NOT more scenes then gameplay.

Come on, a little story woudn't kill ya. Especially since that part in games is usually lacking. This engine has to bring some much needed power.

Posted by Bebop

There is more cut scenes than gameplay in Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.
First play on number 1 my game time came to about 13 hours. Playing it a second time I skipped all the scenes which brought the gameplay time down to between 4-5 hours.

Quoted post: Whether you can skip or not still doesn't change the fact that cutscene time is about 20x more than gameplay time.

So? Don't play the game. lol hard

Posted by Aioros

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;529944]So? Don't play the game. lol hard

[COLOR=Yellow]I'm not even sure some of the people here bashing the game even played it in the first place. Do i need to bring back the Speedfreak/Chrono Cross incident from way back?
[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

Played both the original and its remake. The only part I liked was that whole "lol look at all this psychic **** I can do" thing with Psycho Mantis.

Quoted post: I'm not even sure some of the people here bashing the game even played it in the first place.

Wouldn't surprise me. I just find it odd that people are complaining about a series that is known for the large amounts of cutscenes. It's like playing Xenosaga and being surprised that you're not actually playing the game 3/4 of the time.

Posted by Bebop

I enjoyed both titles. I just wish I got to play more. Also as enjoyable as the game itself is, and as interesting as the story can be the Metal Gear Solid title is stupidly overrated. It really isnt that stealthy.

[quote]Come on, a little story woudn't kill ya
Super Mario Bros has a little story. Sonic 2 has a little story. Metal Gear has little gameplay. You're confusing it with something else my friend.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bebop: Metal Gear has little gameplay.

[COLOR="Yellow"]lol.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: It really isnt that stealthy.

It's not exactly meant to be a super stealthy, ultra serious, mega realistic game. You realise this right? It's not a Splinter Cell.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not exactly meant to be a super stealthy, ultra serious, mega realistic game. You realise this right? It's not a Splinter Cell.

And yet people brand it as the most stelghy game ever? Hmmm. Christ Hitman 2 came out shortly after MGS2 and thats much stealthier yet it seems treating MGS like the turds of *** is the way forward.

And Aioros you dirty beaner there is more cut scenes than gameplay. Stop being a cock and get back to your pinata.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'd have to agree about there being more cutscenes than gameplay, jokes aside.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not exactly meant to be a super stealthy, ultra serious, mega realistic game.

I'd say the super stealthy you're right but I find MGS serious enough and more realistic then Splinter cell and HitMan to a certain degree.

Quoted post:
And yet people brand it as the most stelghy game ever?Hmmm. Christ Hitman 2 came out shortly after MGS2 and thats much stealthier...

HitMan 2 is "stealthier" because they let you get away with stupid ****. A good deal of the stuff results from you stealing the clothes, which fools no one in real life.

Quoted post: And yet people brand it as the most stelghy game ever? Hmmm. Christ Hitman 2 came out shortly after MGS2 and thats much stealthier yet it seems treating MGS like the turds of *** is the way forward.

... who the **** said that? At the time, MGS was the most stealthy, but Splinter Cell has trumped that no problem. Though, it does do things no other game does. How sneaking and hiding works is unlike Splinter Cell and a bit more advanced. For example, enemies following your takes left in snow.

Quoted post: I'd say the super stealthy you're right but I find MGS serious enough and more realistic then Splinter cell and HitMan to a certain degree.

Wait, what? How is a game full of wild characters, constant breaking of the forth-wall and tons of other **** along those lines more serious than a Tom Clancy game?

Posted by Bebop

Fanboys and other idiots still treat MGS like the most stealthy games ever. I wasnt referring to anyone in this topic, just gamers in general.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:
Wait, what? How is a game full of wild characters, constant breaking of the forth-wall and tons of other **** along those lines more serious than a Tom Clancy game?

I ment game play wise, story wise no way. IMO the core of MGS's game play feels more realistic (save boss fights) while SC levels always feel tailord.

If you went through all the levels of a MGS game they can be quite diverse in location and situation.

But SC is always in a dark place, so dark its not quite feasible why it is that dark.

Posted by Fate

I've never heard an MGS fan say that the series was the most stealthy. Splinter Cell is the more serious of the two. I just like the sci-fi Japanese edge that MGS has.

Posted by Bebop

I have. It always seems people are going on about how 'deep and stealthy the gameplay is' which is something I never understood because even at the time it was made it certainly wasnt that great.

It is deep, that's certainly correct. And it is fairly stealthy. Like I said, you can do more in MGS than Splinter Cell for example. The gameplay is a ton more varied and what you can do with Snake is more diverse, stealth-wise, than Sam Fisher. So, if that's what you're hearing, it would be correct. They're not saying it's the most stealthy, but it's very deep.

Also, consider that there's, like, two series that focus on stealth--MGS and Splinter Cell. So that's not saying much anyways.

Posted by Bebop

Deep as in the stealth is deep. It isnt. The most stealthy thing you can do is hide in a box. I wasnt referring to the shooting melons thing or other quirky parts of the game.

Theres more than those series that focus on stealth. Hitman and Mission Impossible are other ones. Even if Mission Impossible is shocking.

Posted by Fate

If the only stealthy thing you found in the whole game was hiding in a box, then you're playing MGS waaaaaaaay wrong.

Posted by Bebop

I didnt say it was the only stealthy thing I found in the whole game.

Quoted post: Theres more than those series that focus on stealth. Hitman and Mission Impossible are other ones. Even if Mission Impossible is shocking.

Oh yeah... Hitman. So three series. Whatever.

Posted by S

Quoting Fate: If the only stealthy thing you found in the whole game was hiding in a box, then you're playing MGS waaaaaaaay wrong.

Oops? No wonder I died so many times...

Posted by Speedfreak

"You're playing it wrong" has always seemed like a pretty desperate excuse to me. The game doesn't teach you a thing, but then that's something I've always been accustomed to from playing Miyamoto's games.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]You want Square-Enix to use the Unreal Engine 3 on a DS game?[/COLOR]

Actually, I don't think DS could handle it. Square-Enix making a game with Unreal Engine 3 on the Wii would be better anyways.

Posted by Fate

I don't think it'd look as good, though.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Proto Man: Actually, I don't think DS could handle it. Square-Enix making a game with Unreal Engine 3 on the Wii would be better anyways.

REALLY I AM SURPRISED THAT YOU FEEL THAT WAY

srsly wtf