ACK! My DS dead?

Posted by Proto Man

Ok, I went to play some FF III tonight, and low and behold when I turned it on, it wanted me to enter settings as if it forgot all that stuff. I thought it was weird, but did it anyway. So then it says shut the system off afterwards, and then I do. I power it back on, and the same thing happens! So, what happened? Is it my battery that needs replaced, or something more serious?

The last time I used it was playing Mario Kart DS against a kid on the bus this morning and this afternoon.

Posted by Roger Smith

Report it to Nintendo's Service Desk.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Roger Smith: Report it to Nintendo's Service Desk.

Well I was hoping to get some answers here before actually doing that. :(

Posted by ccrocker58

Yea, sounds like a bats dead. The same thing happened to Dreamcasts when their battery died, only Sega was smart enough to have the battery charged when the system is plugged in. I'm going to guess this happens to any system when the battery dies, except the only one that this has happened to me with is my DC.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Roger Smith: Report it to Nintendo's Service Desk.

Ok, this is what I got...

Quoted post: Message(#6851-000553-9313\5539313)

Hi Jordan,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your Nintendo DS system. Based on what you described, your system needs to be repaired. You may set up a repair by visiting the Customer Service section of our website ([url]www.nintendo.com)[/url]. I've included a direct link below:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/

Once there, select the Nintendo DS icon, then scroll down to Repairs and follow the directions. If you need additional assistance, please contact Nintendo's Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available to set up your repair between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mike Chandler

The warranty for this thing is expired, so it would cost me $75 to send it in to Ninty to fix it. A new battery on the other hand is only $15.

So what should I do now?

Posted by Ant

My DS is dead

Posted by Roger Smith

Just get the battery.

Posted by ccrocker58

Does it have this same problem even when you play the system with the charger plugged in? If not, it isn't the main battery that needs to be changed, you need to change the battery for the systems memory...although I'd find that odd as they usually last a really long time.

Posted by GameMiestro

It's the kid on the bus. He must have transmitted a virus to your DS over Mario Kart. You should hunt him down and make him fix it...

[spoiler]sarcasm[/spoiler]

Posted by protomanv4

That can't happen how can a game system get a virus.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting ccrocker58: Does it have this same problem even when you play the system with the charger plugged in? If not, it isn't the main battery that needs to be changed, you need to change the battery for the systems memory...although I'd find that odd as they usually last a really long time.

Nah it happens even when I have it plugged in. Also I had noticed that my DS went dead without me playing it, even though I had charged it a couple nights before. I ordered a new battery from Ninty, and it should be coming soon.

Quoting protomanv4: That can't happen how can a game system get a virus.

[URL="http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/10/new-ds-trojan-bricks-your-nintendo-ds/"]It happens.[/URL]

Posted by Proto Man

Sorry to double post.... but I just got the new battery. I installed it, and at first it seemed to work, but now it fluctuates between working and not working.

When I say that, what I mean is, I will put the info in, and then it will go into the normal firmware bootup, but then while I am in it, all of a sudden, the clock will zero out, and it won't keep the time/date settings I try and set it to. Then sometimes, it will just go back to square one, and keep like that for a couple rounds, and then sometimes it will go boot normal.

I don't get it, is there a second battery that isn't keeping it's charge? Dang, do I actually have to send this thing into Ninty after all? I really don't feel like having to shell out 75 bucks. :(