Guitar Help

Posted by Kamek

This is for all you guys who play guitar out there.

How did you originally learn to strum. I know this may seem like a really really dumb question, but did you do it slowly first then fast? How did you break out of one particular strumming pattern? What are some good ways to learn to strum right?

Also, bar chords. I play an acoustic guitar and it seems really hard to press down one of the strings when I try to bar a chord. One string is always muted. Any tips for playing bar chords?

I'm trying to learn "Flake" by Jack Johnson. It's a really simple song, just four chords, but I want to make it clean as possible. So I just want to know any tips on picking up strumming patterns and playing bar chords. I might be back with more questions. Thanks for the help.

Posted by Hyper

Practice, practice, practice. Play the stuff slower and don't try to speed up until you have it perfect at a slower speed. Bar chords are hard at first but trust me, you get used to them.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Hyper: Practice, practice, practice. Play the stuff slower and don't try to speed up until you have it perfect at a slower speed. Bar chords are hard at first but trust me, you get used to them.

Yeah but, do you have any tips for how to maybe increase finger strength or how to hold down all the strings without getting a mute sound?

Posted by Hyper

Yeah: practice. I all ready said it. There's no other way, really. You just have to keep doing it until your finger builds up the strength. Pick through the chord slowly and make sure every note rings clear, if it doesn't, find out why and fix it, and just keep doing that. There's no secret trick.

Posted by Kamek

It's as though if i put my finger flat, there's always one mute string. Should I put it more in a sideways position when I play a bar chord, or is flat the right way?

Posted by Hyper

I do it flat, but it's really up to what works for you.

Posted by Pit

There's groopves on your fingers, so if you pt it flat, there's one string thats gonna be left open and sound unclear. Titlt the finger the slighty so that your bones are pressed one all the strings.

It's annoying at first since the strings are uncomforable, but you eventually get used to it. And for chord progression, just keep practicing the chords timed to a metronome and stuff.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Kamek: Yeah but, do you have any tips for how to maybe increase finger strength or how to hold down all the strings without getting a mute sound?

as you keep practicing, your finger tips will get harder, so that when you hold down a fret, it won't hurt. Everyone goes through it, it just takes time and alot of practice.

As for chords, play em slow at first. Then when you master the chords, chord switching takes alot of practice too. Just keep practicing and after a while you'll get good at it.

Posted by Kamek

ksjfslfjaslfa rghhhhhhh there's always ONE mute string and it annoys me and i hate it and i want to pummel something. I can't wait till somehow someway my fingers are able to stretch more. As a side note, what were the first songs you guys learned to play? Just wondering.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Kamek: ksjfslfjaslfa rghhhhhhh there's always ONE mute string and it annoys me and i hate it and i want to pummel something. I can't wait till somehow someway my fingers are able to stretch more. As a side note, what were the first songs you guys learned to play? Just wondering.

Creedence Clearwater Revival is very basic stuff to learn. But House of the Rising Sun is usually the 1st song guitarists start playing. So give those a whirl

Posted by G-Sides

Quoting Kamek: ksjfslfjaslfa rghhhhhhh there's always ONE mute string and it annoys me and i hate it and i want to pummel something. I can't wait till somehow someway my fingers are able to stretch more. As a side note, what were the first songs you guys learned to play? Just wondering.

there's no "magic trick" to keeping that one string down. i have small fukken hands and i can tell you, bar chords can be a bitch, and i know what you're talking about with this "one string always gets muted etc etc" deal and the only thing anyone is going to be able to tell you is PRAAACTICE. the only real way to get any better at any guitar technique is through practicing.

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Tiptoegecko: Creedence Clearwater Revival is very basic stuff to learn. But House of the Rising Sun is usually the 1st song guitarists start playing. So give those a whirl

I agree there. Try old time rock and roll. It's a really basic song.

Also, take things slowly. Most people always mute 1 string in a bar chord on their first attempt. In fact, I'd say every beginner guitarist does.

Just Practise normal Chords quickly and changing from them. Then do it with Bar Chords, but really push down, even if it hurt's a little bit. It tends to do so for awhile. Then, one day while playing, it'll just... all come into place.

Also, when you have mastered Bar Chord's, go onto Scales and ect. Then from there onwards, there is tones to learn about guitar...

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

play bar chords with the side of your finger. Like, halfway between the front and side of your left index finger, for example.

Posted by Kamek

i can't ever figure out the strumming pattern. i feel so tense and i feel like i lock up and overthink about how to strum and it's not in the wrist and this is a huge run-on and any tips would be awesome.

Posted by Tiptoegecko

Quoting Kamek: i can't ever figure out the strumming pattern. i feel so tense and i feel like i lock up and overthink about how to strum and it's not in the wrist and this is a huge run-on and any tips would be awesome.

A) You gotta relax when you play. Playing music is an enjoyment, not a torture (unless it's like Hanson)

B) You have to listen to the song you are playing to figure out the strumming pattern. You cant know it if you never heard it.

And your not going to get it on first try, no one can. Keep practicing and with enough practice, you can play it with your eyes closed. Your hands will move all on their own, it's actually quite cool.

Posted by Kamek

I just can't differentiate when it's supposed to be up and down strokes and it's as though im stuck to one strumming pattern and I can't break free of it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Kamek: I just can't differentiate when it's supposed to be up and down strokes and it's as though im stuck to one strumming pattern and I can't break free of it.

Then get a drum-sticking book and a metronome. That'll solve your rhythm problems :-P