WipEout Pure

Posted by Pit

Title: WipEout Pure

Devoper: SCEE

Publisher: SCEA

Genre: Racing

Launch Date: Released

Box Art:

Futuristic racers have always appealed to me. On GCN I love F-Zero GX and for Xbox I have Quantum Redshift, which was pretty cool. the WipEout series was always good, IMO. I remember first playing this game, on my N64. It had a weapon system which was great, kinda like Mario Kart, but had the speed and futuristicness from F-Zero... well, not GX. Well, now the PSP has this game, and from reviews, it's the best title on the console. If you're interested, here are reviews and screenshots of the game.

Gamespot Rewiew: [url=http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_psp_flashtop_story]8.8 Great[/url]
IGN Review: [url=http://psp.ign.com/articles/597/597359p1.html?fromint=1]9.3[/url]

Screenshots:

Posted by Bebop

Wipeout is probably one of the worst games I've ever had to play. I seriously doubt this title has done anything spectacular to the series. Count me out.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Actually, it looks kinda neat. I'm not a huge fan of racing games, but when I do get my PSP, I may pick this title up.

Posted by Shade

If this is anything like the F-Zero series (which it probably is), I'm definately looking forward to it. It's my number one launch game for the PSP.

Posted by Pit

Actually, it takes the same approach as F-Zero but combines it with a weapon system. The game is good, from the other games in the series I've played. So far this, Lumines, and Mercury are the games to be on my PSP. Hopefully the game has some killer speed like F-Zero, because, in my opinion, F-Zero was overall a cooler experience.

Posted by boomstick

It's alot like F-Zero, but I actually prefer Wipeout games over F-Zero, at least, the PS1 ones.

Anywho, this is one game that looks good for me if I get a PSP.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Wipeout > F zero

Ask pit why.

First Person racing view 4 lyfe

Posted by Bebop

The only way it's like F-Zero is that it's a futurtisic racer. Wipeout is painfully slow for a game that proclaims to be fast.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't like the weapons, it just corrupts a racer's purity. To me, it's like floating Mario Kart, so I could see why people would want to buy it.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting Speedfreak: I don't like the weapons, it just corrupts a racer's purity. To me, it's like floating Mario Kart, so I could see why people would want to buy it.

Actually, Pit would've said that. I like it cause it is a floating Mario Kart >.<

I'm not huge on racers. Thats why I like mario kart also.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: The only way it's like F-Zero is that it's a futurtisic racer. Wipeout is painfully slow for a game that proclaims to be fast.

Painfully slow it is not, it's still fast, but just not as fast as F-Zero, in fact, that could be a good thing since F-Zero is a little too fast as times, like F-Zero GX.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I didn't enjoy f zero just because it WAS too fast. I couldn't enjoy dying over and over, and one cars stats were wildly different from another in a race. I didn't like it too much. The new fzero that is of course. And wipeout is fast, its just not THAT fast >.<

Posted by Speedfreak

Then maybe you suck >:O

I don't see how it's too fast at all, but then I beat it on Master.

Wipout's tracks aren't crazy enough (or at all, frankly) for my liking.

Posted by Pit

I enjoyed F-Zero cause it was fast. The speed was great and the amount of control... beautiful graphics and great music to go along with it, just an awesome experience. 30 racers at a time... fantastic, but although these to games are grav racers, they'll totally different. See, F-Zero is speed, coordination, tight turns, but Wipeout is more of weapons, kinda like Mario Kart. If you're playing with friends and you're losing, you can come back, but difference between this and Mario Kart is that if you don't fix your vehicle, you'll blow up, making this somewhat franctic against friends (especially if you get those nasty super weapons :(). This is definately a game that I know I'll enjoy.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting boomstick: Painfully slow it is not, it's still fast, but just not as fast as F-Zero, in fact, that could be a good thing since F-Zero is a little too fast as times, like F-Zero GX.

My point is Wipeout gives itself the ego of being the fastest racer when clrearly it's not. Mario kart leaves it in the dust. Wipeout is a fast as a stick through a turd.

Posted by Pit

Just got it, and my, what a great game. Hooked that I am.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: My point is Wipeout gives itself the ego of being the fastest racer when clrearly it's not. Mario kart leaves it in the dust. Wipeout is a fast as a stick through a turd.

Since when has anybody proclaimed Wipeout to be the fatest series, it's fast, just in comparison to other types of racers, it's just not as fast.

I think you're just pulling statements outta nowhere.

Posted by Pit

This WipEout is fast, I can assure you that. Especially when you get the boosts... and then you barrell rool into a boost, that gets you into another boost... man, I heart this game. I'm gonna go play it now :)

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

Can I ask, is it Infrastructure-able? or just Ad-hoc?

Posted by Pit

Dunno, don't know at all.

Anyways, what's your guys progress in the game? So far I have a gold medal in every single zone, which was hard seeing as how the speed increases over the course of time. I think in total I have around 40 and I have lots more to do.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Pit: Dunno, don't know at all.

Anyways, what's your guys progress in the game? So far I have a gold medal in every single zone, which was hard seeing as how the speed increases over the course of time. I think in total I have around 40 and I have lots more to do.

This game is tough for me. But, that may only add to the enjoyment. the highest i have so far is silver and a couple of bronze. Care to email me your saved files? lol

Posted by Pit

Quoting Opeth: This game is tough for me. But, that may only add to the enjoyment. the highest i have so far is silver and a couple of bronze. Care to email me your saved files? lol

Hah, once I get a USB cord, don't see why not?

Don't worry, this game is hard. I'm still trying to master whatever comes out of Vector. I'm trying to Gold everything to unlcock the art and stuff :(

Posted by mralph225

This game is **cking impossible---- you will soon find out that the flash class is simple once you get to the rapier class.. You have to be an expert gamer with luck on your side simply to win a tournament... I haven't gotten one gold metal in any tournament for the rapier class, just two silvers, and i literally attempted over 100 times, plus i had the best vehicle in the game-- the zone team--- i can't even imagine how hard the phantom class is.... Is it just me, or is this game impossible to beat?

Posted by Pit

Oh, yeah the Zone team in Rapier... not a great choice for me. Overall it is the best car in the game, don't get me wrong, but once you get to the higher class levels, the other teams tend to use more weapons... and of course, the Zone car isn't meant to take hits. A few special qeapons (quakes, plasma) can take it down making it hard to succeed. I prefer using the auricom although I've only got Silvers as well.

My friend is a hell lot better than me though. He is up to Phantom. He makes Rapier look simple.

Posted by Buneasta

pze no ban. i cracoholism. pze no ban me. pze pze no ban me. u understand? :(

Posted by mralph225

i have 121 golds now. here are the ranks - amature, trainee, veteran(60+), ace(90+), guru(100+), junkie (110 +), out of a total of 140 golds, still waiting to see if there's another rank above junkie

Posted by Mralph224

-----Legend (135+ golds) --- correction, there are 144 total gold metals, not 140------- now have 137 golds, currently seeing if there's a rank above legend

Posted by Pit

Nice, you seem to be owning at that game. So far, my friend deleted my game, so I had to start from scratch considering I was at 94 golds. That ticked me off but I went straight to Zone and got the Zone team. Right now I'm exactly on 40 (Geek). Anyways, you guys have to see the new map and team. So far Downloadble content 1 released in Japan (New track, Team (car), and Skin, dunno about music though).