Gears Of War

Posted by specopssv44

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wcc-ERAEwA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wcc-ERAEwA[/URL]
Just got my 360, its been a long time seince Ive actually sat down and played a game start to finish but Gears of War was effin badass. Good story line, great graphics, pretty intense combat, and a kinda creepy enemy. Its almost like someone put resident evil, halo, and day of defeat together and the end result is Gears of War. Loved it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I loved it, then I grew out of it, and replaced it with an overall better game, Rainbow Six. Though I'm currently playing through Insane and enjoying it all over again. The story may be ****, as well as the writing, but the enemies are pretty cool, it looks amazing, and it's just a fun game. Not a fan of online though.

Posted by specopssv44

yeah Rainbow Six is pretty sick, I got that one too, still getting used to the controls and stuff but yeah its definatly pretty badass... the final boss on GOW ****ed me off, it took me a few tries to figure it out and beat him, apparently its alot easier if you have a torque bow (which of course I didnt), so I had to use frags and be patient about it.

Posted by s0ul

or just run to the turret and kill him in like 2 seconds. ;)

Posted by Dexter

Definitely not big with the online play but story mode was lots of fun and it was graphically goregous. Possibly the best game we have, gaphically, although artfully it wasn't too impressive.

Posted by Fate

I think the game looks absolutely gorgeous. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what next gen looks like.

I like online play.
:(

Posted by TheSorrow

The graphics and online play are well done and the story is **** though...

Posted by Fate

Story isn't bad, but it's not in the game. You have to read up on official stuff and the booklet in the limited edition.

Posted by Dexter

Story? I don't even remember what it was. :(

Posted by TheSorrow

Quoting Fate: Story isn't bad, but it's not in the game. You have to read up on official stuff and the booklet in the limited edition.

Guess I have to read that booklet now...

Posted by Fate

There's an energy problem in the world. An alternate energy source is found which causes lands to fight one another. While humanity fights, the locust come up from the ground and take over, forcing the humans to end the war and work together. Seeing no other way to destroy the locust threat, humans were called to a getaway while the government launched a full-scale attack on the lands that the locust were occupying. The lands were pretty much destroyed, but the locust were not. You have to map their tunnels so missiles can be launched to destroy them from within.

One of the things I'm still confused on is whether or not the story takes place 14 days or 14 years after Emergence Day, the day the human wars ended and the locust emerged. An off-hand comment by a teammate says he had nightmares of the locust when he was younger, but I believe at the beginning of the game the text said "14 days after E-day". And apparently the number of soldiers in the war have gone down so low that the government had to recruit convicts and the like. The story could really go either way.

lewl, wings read me the whole story last night. They actually put a lot of effort and time into the overall story and added a ton of tiny details that just don't translate into the game. Find scans of the art booklet that came with the game, it explains a lot actually.

But to add on to what Fate said, when humanity populated Seras they fought for years until peace was restored. Once a woman discovered a way to make Imulsion a form of usable energy, it's low cost and the sudden uselessness of other energies practically destroyed the economy. It also started up another war that lasted seventy years when the countries that had no Imulsion attacked those that did. During this time a group known as COG (Coalition of Governments) became a legitimate party before they finally took over with martial law once the locust emerged. They evacuated as many as they could onto a stable piece of land that couldn't be penetrated from underneath and that when the COGs launched the attacks on occupied cities. They not only destroyed the locusts in the cities, the cities themselves, but also the humans that couldn't evacuate in time. That's why the stranded call you Fascists and the like. You practically murdered your own people while not even putting a dent in the Locust numbers. Marcus was found in prison because he disobeyed orders when he received a distress signal from his father, a scientist, but was too late to save him.

You just never really hear about any of that in the game. Though there's a ton of hints.

And yeah, it was 14 years later. Even though in the first 24 hours billions of people died.

Oh, and chances are the locust queen is a human woman that is using the Locust as a weapon to get whatever she's after. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same woman who discovered the way to turn Imulsion into energy, since I can't see why her name would be relevant otherwise.

Posted by specopssv44

Like I said I loved everything about the game. The storyline seems hella badass, I think they should have incorporated it more, maybe well see a badass sequil?...oh yeah, an assualt rifle with a chainsaw mounted on it!? Doesnt get much ****in better than that haha.....

.... BTW I tried to use the chain gun but the ****ing birds kept getting my ***

Yeah, you have to use it at exactly the right time, otherwise it's in darkness and the Kryll will just tear you up. It's a hell of a lot easier to pick up the longshot and get as many headshots as you can.

Anywho, I beat co-op Insane yesterday. Disappointingly easy.

Posted by Sean Fury

I thought of Gears of War like those ****ty Sci-Fi movies that are on every Saturday, but put together with more than rubber bands and thumb tacks.

In any case, I really love playing Gears of War, and since I don't have a 360 I have to wait until I can go to my friend Lon's house to play it and that anticipation makes it fun every time (even if I have to die, repeat, die, repeat, etc.). Online play is a lot of fun as well, but I still kind of suck at it, the gameplay is extremely different from Halo and was a big change for me to switch to.

Posted by hypnotize_

Guys, play a better game, Rainbow Six Vegas. Screw singleplayer, multiplayer is badass and a lot more fun.

Posted by Sean Fury

I hate Rainbow Six and Tom Clancy. FOXHOUND > Rainbow

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I can't see why her name would be relevant otherwise.

OH SHI-

I totally didn't make that connection. That makes so much sense - disgusted by the fact that her Lightmass Process is destroying the world, she wants to stop it outright. Plus also, the Locust probably need it to survive - hence the 'can not stop; will not stop' at the end of the game. If the humans keep using the Imulsion to power their stuff, the Locust perish.

We just effectively spoiled the plot of the next two games :cool:

Posted by Creedence

From what fate said this game will probably have a sequal, then a prequal of the war at first. Taking the path of Devil May Cry series. Hopefully 2 won't suck. I got ticked when after you beet General Ram on the hardest difficulty you had to do it again without the turrent or no gamer points and achievment for you. That realy made me mad because it was very hard.

They patched the game, and now you still get the achievement if you kill Raam with the turret.

Posted by Colonel

Torc Bow FTW

Posted by muffla

Epic has already announced that they will keep making gears games untill people stop buying them . i personally hope they make it a triligy or a quadriligy so they dont ruin it like finalfantisy, also if they make a final game we will get an ending if they make a game and nobody buies it cuz its like the 64685413654+86354165 one then they wont make another one and leave us with no ending

Final Fantasy didn't ruin anything. FFXII was an amazing game after all.

Posted by garraperson

Gears of war was a great game. Great graphics, great story line. The ending made me mad though. There's diffidently going to be a 2nd Gears of war.

What was wrong with the ending? I thought it was good.

I think it's because people expected it to be more like a full war, when really it was a chronicle of one mission.

That wasn't so much the fault of the end, but the game itself. And even then, so what? I'd rather be in one fully fleshed-out mission than a hundred tiny "who gives a ****" missions.